Forums Latest Members

Dirtiest bracelet in the world! Windex as a last resort?

1. WhatYourWatchSay Mar 10, 2018

I picked up a really nice 1168 circle eleven with 637 end links bracelet today attached to a cal 601 Geneve.

Problem is the previous owner must have been a barber because the center links are absolutely caked with hair and dirt.

I steamed the bracelet and washed it with my usual solution of dish soap, alcohol and ammonia but it was still dirty between the links.

I soaked the bracelet in boiling water with the same solution and still the dirt is there.

A friend suggested soaking in Windex but I'm wondering if an ultrasonic is the only other option. But is my $40 Amazon US strong enough to do the job?

I've never had a bracelet this dirty before.

Edited Mar 11, 2018
  2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 10, 2018

pictures or it didn't happen!

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 10, 2018

Easy way to find out...

4. No Mercy Mar 10, 2018

If it is stainless steel then you can do a incineration to burn out some hair & residue.

5. ewand Mar 10, 2018

Just get a cheap ultrasonic - it won't do any harm, but it might take a few runs through to get the crud out. If it's packed in, you might need to try to rod as much of it out as you can - shove a pin into a cork (pointed end out, so you can hold the cork and poke into the gaps... maybe even worth trying some dental floss), and with a loupe, you might be able to successfully manoeuvre it into the gaps in the links to hoik out as much as you can... and the ultrasonic will make an improvement...

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 10, 2018

I have used windex on bracelets with good results and no ill effects.

7. Looneytoons Mar 10, 2018

An old toothbrush is an excellent tool for getting in between the links. Use the soak to loosen the crud and then have at it with the toothbrush.

8. abrod520 Mar 10, 2018

Wooden toothpicks are also helpful for small areas

9. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Mar 10, 2018

[​IMG]

Longbow, alam, BenBagbag and 2 others like this.
  10. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 10, 2018

engine cleaner... I use it on everything, even engines.

did the kitchen cupboards with it last year, Der frau wasn't happy with the two day stink fest but had to admit they were damn clean.

ATWG and jetkins like this.
  11. Seacow Mar 10, 2018

I use a bit IPA with water. :rolleyes:

12. WhatYourWatchSay Mar 10, 2018

Well, I've been cleaning this bracelet since I started this thread and the damn thing still isn't completely clean.

I used the ultrasonic for an hour straight with very little results. I soaked it in Windex for thirty minutes and cleaned it with dish soap and tried the US machine again and some of the debris has come out but a lot of it is still sitting between the links.

I've never had a bracelet this stubbornly dirty before :mad:

13. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 10, 2018

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 10, 2018

Use this when you're cleaning your spanners etc.

Best done when "somebody" is at the hairdressers or bingo.

P1030181.JPG

15. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Mar 10, 2018

This is wha'cha need, right here.

[​IMG]

Another collecting hobby of mine is vintage Gillette (and a few other brands) razors. I've picked up a few uncommon models in antique shops in years past, some with nastiness of the worst kind caked on, and in them. Scrubbing bubbles handles it all with no ill effects to the surfaces of the nickel-plated (or gold-plated) brass razor. Rinses readily away too. I shave with vintage razors and maintain them after each week's use by cleaning with Scrubbing Bubbles and a soft toothbrush. Surfaces have never degraded from regular use of Scrubbing Bubbles and the toothbrush.

If I acquired a grungy stainless steel bracelet I'd go for the Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush.

The bottom razor is the favorite and has seen use every other week for the past six years with no deterioration.
    [​IMG]

http://www.scrubbingbubbles.com/Products/Pages/foaming-bathroom-cleaner.aspx

16. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 10, 2018

Hey @noelekal

Gillette aristocrats , usa or U.K.? 15 , 16...
    My favorites is oc are Big boy, bulldog .....and for modern a ikon tech....

Good Hunting
    Bill

17. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 10, 2018

Hi

I would soak it overnight in a hot cup water, dawn soap and some windex .... by the am most of all the gunk will fallout you will see it on the bottom of the glass......

Good luck
    Bill

18. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Mar 10, 2018

Hey Bill;

It's a U. S pre-World War II Aristocrat.

I'd love to have a Gillette Bulldog, but am picky and want one without a crack in its handle.

19. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 10, 2018

Hi

Know what you mean... I think I have a few one Canadian version also ! I am a wet vintage shaver. Did vintage for a long time then got a few 2011 R41 as a daily shaver w Bob razorworls handle !!!

Best

Bill

noelekal likes this.
  20. Buster Mar 10, 2018

I clean mine with dish soap and a soft tooth brush but I don't have anything caked on mine. Have you considered letting it soak in Goo B Gone and then use a toothbrushon it?