Forums Latest Members
  1. ATP Aug 28, 2019

A technical question or rather a dilema;

I have an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch, around the year 2000, with the 1861 Caliber;
    The watch is absolute NOS condition, I would like to start wearing it.
    Now the question .;Does the watch need maintenance, or do I just wear it for 5 years and then do maintenance

Thank you

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 28, 2019

If it hasn't been serviced you may be risking undue wear.
    Get it serviced and start wearing it and enjoying it.

Lonestar likes this.
  3. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 28, 2019

The fact it’s NOS doesn’t really add any extra value as the watch is too new to be worth keeping pristine. This would be different if it were a pre 1997 tritium model perhaps. I agree with the comment above, it clearly needs a service but if it’s keeping time I wouldn’t be scared to wear it for a few weeks or months even and get it done when you have the time and funds handy. Yes damage can occur, but most is covered by the service and all parts are available (to authorised sources)

4. jaguar11 Aug 28, 2019

Picture?

5. ATP Aug 31, 2019

With all due respect, but I do not see the added value with a photo with my question; It is a normal normal speedmaster moonwatch 1861 of 2000

6. EricCsN Aug 31, 2019

Most of my omega watches don’t get wear time. So maybe they get a couple of days in a year or a year and a half. Many of them are well over 10 years. I have several which are more than 20 years . No servicing except for one ( when it was 20 years old) . They still keep excellent time. I don’t turn the hands (minimise using any force on mechanisms on the hours and minutes hands from me except winding for manual wind watches). So I set my iPhone alarm to when the watch time is pointing . When my iPhone alarm goes off, I wind the watch for the manual wound watches or shake my hand for the automatic types)

Edited Aug 31, 2019
  7. ICONO Aug 31, 2019

With all due respect again…this is a collaborative Forum…simply the inclusion of an image…adds weight to your request, for advice

We all like to see nice watches…even if we have seen them, a thousand times, before

Bimmerman77, apsm100, Archer and 7 others like this.
  8. Bimmerman77 Sep 1, 2019

Get it serviced then wear it. It probably needs lubrication, but being unsure I wouldn’t risk it

9. mayankyadav Sep 1, 2019

::facepalm1::

10. PhilF Sep 1, 2019

I agree, after almost 20 years, give it and yourself a treat, at a minimum it needs lubrication and I'd be willing to bet, seals. Protect your investment.