Forums Latest Members

Differing color shades on the same model and leather strap for small woman?

1. Helena Mar 2, 2017

Hi everyone!
    In my search for the next Omega, I have come across a few things that I find a bit weird. I thought - if anybody knows, it´ll be my friends at the Omega Forum :)

Looking at the Seamaster Diver 300 at different dealers on the internet, it seems like there can be variations within the blue color on the dials of watches that are all from 2017. Is that possible? or is it the lighting and photo of the individual dealers? The pics below illustrate (all from Chrono24 as I´m sure you can see). SM 1.jpg SM2.jpg PO.jpg The second one seems to have a more intense blue color, almost like Klein-blue.

Are the original leather straps for the PO 37,5 mm possible to adapt to fit the wrist of a small lady? I mean with belts, you can always make more holes but its not a good idea, because the belt will go twice around the waist...

Does anybody know?

Thank you,
    Helena

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 2, 2017

No doubt a lot of it is the lighting, but I suppose there coud be variations over time even with the same reference, due to different lots of dial coating.

On a deployment strap, you should give extra holes a try first, since the "tail" will be underneath it won't matter if it's a bit long. The problem is that the clasp may not be comfortable to wear if it is not well-centered.

It would be difficult to shorten the strap itself, but there are xtra-small versions available and many strap makers who will do a custom length that can still use the OEM clasp.

3. Helena Mar 2, 2017

Thanks!
    It seems to me that the 2017 models shouldn't have had so much time to change yet. Interesting.

4. jimmyd13 Mar 2, 2017

Those blue dials do change a lot in different lighting ... something I really like. They shouldn't have faded or "developed a patina" with the materials that were used then and the relatively short life they've had, but you can't be 100% sure unless it's in your hand. Best advice is, when you find one you particularly like, contact the seller and ask for lots of different photos.

When it comes to the strap, there are lots of good leather strap makers out there who would make you a custom strap for less than $50 to fit the watch head and existing deployant. Alternatively, if you want an Omega strap, then you can also order smaller versions from them.

5. Helena Mar 2, 2017

Thank you jimmyd13.
    Not entirely sure what you mean when you say "with the materials that were used then". They are both 2017 watches. "Then" sounds like it would be back a while. But whatever, you're probably right, the colors vary a bit. At least that's what we see in watches that are a few years old.

6. jimmyd13 Mar 2, 2017

Ahhh ... what I mean by that is I am in denial of the fact that I really have to wear reading glasses for the computer now. I misread the date in the original post. ;)

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 2, 2017

Well in those pictures, ones a fake... (I'm pretty sure)

Also there was a small bezel change a few years back, and many watches are sold with older pictures before the minor bezel change. Look at the "4" in 40, there was a thickness change in the crossbar. In fact I think Omega still has the older bezel on their website.

But if you buy from a legit dealer the blue is the same. Blue is very hard to take pictures of and have consistent color across different cameras and lighting.

Edited Mar 2, 2017
  8. Helena Mar 2, 2017

Hahaha! Too funny! :)
    Thanks!

9. Helena Mar 2, 2017

Interesting!
    Both dealers are "trusted sellers" on Chrono24 and both watches are advertised as brand new 2017 models and come with omega-boxes and papers. One dealer is in Germany and one in the UK.
    Are there many cases known where all these things seem so legit and the watch still is fake? I will never dare to buy a watch....
    I was thinking more that one of them had added a bit of color to the pictures. Like the function "chrome" in the iPhone camera.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 2, 2017

The pictures may be stock photos for new watches. Most new watches are sold still wrapped from the mfg. in the 2 pictures you can clearly see different bezel fonts and that change was about 3 years ago I think.

What concerns me is the bevel pattern on the crown and the lume pip and triangle on the 2nd.

These are watches are notoriously well faked.

11. Helena Mar 3, 2017

Thanks!
    Learning every day... yes I recognize that all the rest of the 2017s have the same tone of blue. Only this one sticks out a bit.