Forums Latest Members

Did you watch the Hodinkee - John Mayer Watch Collection new video

1. AJwala Mar 28, 2019

Hi All
    Did you watch the new video of John Mayer's watch collection? What do you think?
    :)

2. Alphasports Mar 28, 2019

Pretty interesting, well done. For those who haven't, link here

scv55, Evitzee, sdre and 5 others like this.
  3. AJwala Mar 28, 2019

I loved the knowledge and the way John Mayer talked about the watches he has. Its like he knows the entire history behind each and every watch!

4. Vinsane38 Mar 28, 2019

Fascinating interview, kudos to the host who clearly has Mayer's trust to be himself. If the music thing doesn't work out, Mayer has a shot as a watch analyst

5. neilbardsley Thought about a Speedy, got a Speedy Mar 28, 2019

I didn't watch because my interest in what watch a celebrity wears is very small. However, ssounds like you are talking about a watch man who is an amazing guitar player so worth a watch

6. Jo3Daddy Mar 28, 2019

What an awesome collection. Not a big fan of diamond bezels on the rolex but cool to see that rainbow daytona what a stunning piece but i would be too afraid to wear that out as someone might cut my hand off for over $250k on my wrist. Love the panda ish daytona makes me really want to buy a panda daytona now. Its the one watch that i really want in my collection but out of my budget for the time being.

AJwala likes this.
  7. jhross98 Mar 28, 2019

Sueor cool segment.. Guy is obviously incredibly knowledgeable and passionate watch guy who also happens to be a rock star. Amazing collection

robinhook likes this.
  8. rkman11 Mar 28, 2019

His collection is off the charts incredible. His knowledge and passion is indisputable. BUT, the first episode came off passionate and humble, this one... less so...

9. Bbturbo Mar 28, 2019

He (Mayor) used to contribute to the VRF in the good old days. And yes, he is rather knowledgeable, probably from the wealth of experience gained from collecting for such a long time.

10. MaiLollo Mar 28, 2019

I loved this episode, and although there is a bit of cocky-ness associated with his character, he just epitomizes "cool".
    The watches are crazy, I love how he keeps most of them, and that he's focused to the things he likes (daytonas, lemania PPs) but goes off that path from time to time and gets a watch just because it's cool.
    Also, i find the rainbows ugly, but kudos for buying and wearing them, it's more "courageous" than wearing a milsub for instance...

AJwala likes this.
  11. AJwala Mar 28, 2019

Ya, the knowledge he has just amazed me!

12. AJwala Mar 28, 2019

Haha, true, some fancy APs are there! but ya, the core collection of Daytonas is just mind blowing!

13. AJwala Mar 28, 2019

Hello im sorry, but what do you mean by VRF?

14. Waxtactic Mar 28, 2019

After the kids go to bed this will be on my screen...

robinhook and AJwala like this.
  15. AJwala Mar 28, 2019

Its 30 mins long, as long as series! so effectively you will be watching an episode :p

Waxtactic likes this.
  16. repoman Mar 28, 2019

As much as I think I'm supposed to dislike John Mayer for his sappy love songs, his string of celeb hookups his air of douchiness and his beta-male tendencies, the fact is, I like the guy: he's hilarious, insightful, and I love his passion.

Lonestar, Larry S, Modd69 and 7 others like this.
  17. AJwala Mar 28, 2019

He says he got 3 daytonas in exchange for a Patek Gold. sounds like some amazing deal he got! i guess apart from knowledge, you need to have the right connection to get hold of such amazing deals!

robinhook and NYCwatchgal like this.
  18. NYCwatchgal Mar 28, 2019

Pleasantly surprised how John was so engaging. His knowledge and collection is quite impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Lonestar and robinhook like this.
  19. NYCwatchgal Mar 28, 2019

Couldn't agree more!

20. Riviera Paradise Mar 28, 2019

I think he is a good talker and has some entertaining insights into watch collecting within the rock star lifestyle.

Some of his watches are gorgeous (the salmon dial Patek), others are hideous. I am pretty sure he will grow out of those two monstrous sports APs.

From my POV I found this second collection review a bit monotonous. I am just not fascinated by small iterative changes to the Rolex Daytona dial. I much preferred his first Talking Watches where he had a wider range of brands.

This time round I would have thought we might see some ALS, FP Journe pieces or even some independent's high horology pieces. Thankfully he has not succumbed to the Richard Mille marketing BS:)

Well, based on the amount of drooling going on in the Hodinkee comments section...looks like it was a home run for the blog's / magazine's target audience.

M'Bob and robinhook like this.