Forums Latest Members
  1. ulackfocus Jun 25, 2018

.... if companies like Rolex, Omega, and other Swiss Watch brands did things that they hoped would drive OCD fanatics over the edge?

For instance, back in the late 60's, do you think that the Speedmaster design team all made up ideas and voted on what minute design changes they'd make in the hopes it would make the Moonwatch fanatics of future decades into lunatics? "Hey, Jim - let's make two minuscule changes to the bezel next year: drop the dot down 1mm next to the number 90, and put a 225 on it!". "What a fan-freaking-tastic idea George! I can see the obsessed collectors years from now dwelling on all the little nit-picky details we've altered over this past decade, like the 'straight writing' thing you came up with a few years back. Sheer Genius!"

Maybe over the course of several decades, the Submariner design team had planned to screw with Rolex Fan Boys with things like "meters first", "Maxi" dials, and "double Red". They had a lifetime of amusement for themselves, and we all fell for it hook, line, and sinker. I bet they have reunion parties for the retired workers and they laugh their asses off at us, maybe even linking to threads on these very forums.

So, do you ever look in the mirror, and for a split second realize just how idiotic this irrational hobby is? Maybe you even say to yourself "Gawdamm, what a fool I am!".

Just curious if any of our members have one iota of sanity still bouncing around inside your head, or you've managed to purge it completely.

***Any member with an avatar that has something to do with NASA, an astronaut, a piece of equipment used in space, or even a partial picture of a Speedmaster need not reply - we already know the answer for your particular case.

Faz, Longbow, Jones in LA and 10 others like this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 25, 2018

Not once... but it is fun to watch.

While I’ll admit I participate on the speedy side a bit, I do it on other watches and products too... don’t get me started on production changes and regional differences on e46 BMW’s. I like learning and accept the perfectly rational reasons why things change.

3. ulackfocus Jun 25, 2018

Oh, there usually are rational reasons for product changes. I find the irrational reactions to them amusing!

isaac.owen.nz, Garv, redpcar and 3 others like this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 25, 2018

One BMW since 1970 does not have a hoffmeister kink this is not amusing nor German and I have not yet found a rational reason!!!

This keeps me up at night.
    FE73757C-0F1E-4979-83A3-69B0819A7F28.png
    Side note this might explain my drinking

Edited Jun 25, 2018
    ulackfocus, micampe and marco like this.
  5. queriver Jun 26, 2018

Agree 100% there are some hobbyists who obsess over the minute differences. No doubt it happens in every hobby, no harm done (well maybe their families disagree, ::screwloose::).

On the other hand, the vendors who feed the frenzy by the way they flog timepieces that have those "rare" minute differences, as though they are some sort of trophy that everyone just needs to have, take advantage of the obsession. Even more so when the watch or part is so beaten-up as to be barely recognisable but still exhibits the minute difference. Follow the money... the obsessive collector community inadvertently pushes prices up when vendors take note of the importance of those minute differences and amplify it to the wider community for their own financial benefit.

PS: like the avatar? ;)

ulackfocus likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 26, 2018

Small difference here... rare versions of the Speedy don’t necessarily mean higher prices... 220 bezels come to mind... 18 jewel movements marked 17 is another, tritium 1861’s is yet another.( or is that flipped?)

Subs get nasty... Speedies are about correctness for the most part, yeah plain back -71’s get a small bump but super rare. Subs take it to another level.

To me it’s more fetishized collectors not the resellers. You get a bunch of educated collectors and it’s trying to out do everyone or make yours more special.

7. queriver Jun 26, 2018

what about beaten-up DON bezels selling for high prices?

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 26, 2018

Dons are high for the reason of correctness. As many watches in the 70’s and 80’s got serviced and received DNN or later many examples of pre 70 watches need them to be correct. Supply and deman. Hence the value of them and the rising value of the DNN.

BenBagbag and Mtek like this.
  9. merchandiser Jun 26, 2018

About 10 years ago I thought that I needed Rolex red sub. One day while combing the web for a good example it hit me, why would I pay 50% more than a white sub considering that they were the exact same watch? I have often questioned my sanity about why I do this. At this point in my life I try to buy watches that are aesthetically pleasing to me, nothing more, nothing less.

10. queriver Jun 26, 2018

Yes that's the economics, no question. I'm just making the point that the collector community indirectly has an effect on prices by researching and making information about minutae (to use @ulackfocus terminology) available. The wider community, with a good push by vendors who have a vested interest in emphasising the minutae, buy the message and prices go up.

11. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 26, 2018

Starting point of this topic isn't correct... it's not a hobby, I just bought a watch... and it has been 20 years since...
    So, for me... it's not a (collector) hobby :D

12. Mtek Jun 26, 2018

Every hobby Ive ever had is irrational, I suspect it’s the same with almost everyone. Thousands upon thousands spend on exhaust systems, wheels, suspension, etc. Modding M3s and Ducati’s that never see the track. I spent so thousands of gym hours for a few years to be able to hit 350lbs on a bench press. It’s completely irrational, but it gave me joy. Some may be looking for a grail coin, baseball card, art peice, etc. I’m sure it’s pretty everything is irrational unless you are into those things as well.

I haven’t hit that point with watch collecting yet. Well, I do go over board with custom straps, but for the most part I buy run of the mill and modern watches. I’m sure I’ll get to the irrational level soon though, and it will be glorious when I get that coveted grail peice.

I’m the meantime, I’ll continue to wonder myself why a vintage “red line” Rolex costs so much more than a new ceramic (that I find much better looking). I’ll continue to ponder the irrationality of our desk divers, or the vintage dress watches others wear with T-shirt’s and jeans, but I won’t leave the hobby until I’ve moved onto my next one.

The irrationality is the fun part.

noelekal likes this.
  13. MaiLollo Jun 26, 2018

I find that the irrationality jumps at me when I try to explain some of the details to a non watch geek. I recently brought a watch (not telling you what it is ::facepalm1::) to a watchmaker: the watch has an expensive but imperfect bezel. The guy tells me: "wouldn't it be best to just put a new bezel on? They're not expensive" ::facepalm2::::rant:. And there I was, explaining to a watchmaker that a 2mm difference in the placement in a dot and an accent make a 3 grand difference, feeling veeeeery stupid ::shy::

PS: I don't have one Speedmaster in my profile pic. I have two, so I feel I have the right to reply ::psy:: (plus, there's a really nice Connie in there!)

merchandiser and marco like this.
  14. marco Jun 26, 2018

And how about vgc Don bezels getting $5K +

queriver likes this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 26, 2018

Watches I can explain to most people.

But got looked at like I was crazy only yesterday.

Was in a tackle shop in Japan buying fishing lures yesterday, and was trying to explain to a guy with me that doesn't fish..

The reason why I needed the same lure in 9 different colours. (Why I can't paint it 9 different colours while I'm fishing)
    Then the same lure in 9 different colours that swims at 3 different depths.
    Then the same lure in 9 different colours that swims at 3 different depths in 2 different sizes.

Syrte, Mtek, merchandiser and 3 others like this.
  16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 26, 2018

All I need to do is look at the inventory on my insurance statement to drive home the insanity of this hobby. @Syrte once made a comment about the Rolex OCD that had me convulsing with laughter.

Syrte and merchandiser like this.
  17. ulackfocus Jun 26, 2018

Objection! The witness displays a Speedmaster avatar; ergo, his opinion is biased and his testimony should be stricken from the record.

18. Vintagewtchzilla Jun 26, 2018

damnit this smell like blasphemia and i see a lack of focus on the REAL WORLD problems

did u even compare a DON with a DNN , hell no serously ? this is a dramatic functional improvement, i still can't belive they couldn't time 14s with a DON

about the red writing on the watches of the brand whose name should not be told , everbody know that it was ivneted by Magdalena Rübli on 30th Feb 1965 as she came slghtly drunk to work and tried to paint her nails while mounting dials to non waterproof dive watches.

so please do your homework before talking about Hobby (which implies fun and it's not per definition : Hobby = spending as much money and time as possible to generate the lowes possible outcome )

cheers

hanky6, Foo2rama and queriver like this.
  19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 26, 2018

I just bought a Sub-C LV and noticed my magnifier is way smaller than all the other subs I see... turns out a common defect from 2014 models but I was genuinely worried until I found that out... I've also got a slightly weird Daytona in that its an 116520 but an early model with thin hands instead of the thick ones. The subtleties still exist and you still notice them and get bothered by them when they're "off".

That's all from me and my SMPP avatar. Which features a set of hands that are long and correct, contrary to what Hoi thinks.

20. ulackfocus Jun 26, 2018

Ooooo, a mini-magnifier! That's gonna be worth a .03% premium in 4 or 5 decades!

Ooooo, a diet Daytona (diet... skinny.... hahaha!) will be THE sought after model in 3 or 4 decades, making RFBs go bonkers!

Ahem..... @dsio: I'm still waiting for my t-shirt.