Forums Latest Members
  1. obstando May 24, 2020

If you (sorry, your father) had spent 5 minutes on the interweb you would have immediately seen that the dial was something that never saw an Omega factory. You may also have worked out whether the other parts (if correct) were worth the amount you paid and some value was salvageable. It pays for you (sorry, your father) to put in a bit of work before handing over 3000 Euros

2. danilichti May 24, 2020

Thanks for the comment or whatever that is supposed to be ::popcorn::

ClawHammer likes this.
  3. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant May 24, 2020

But that is always a possibility, correct dial or not. Repainted dial means , that it was serviced . So, normal risk range as with all vintage watches. Kind regards. Achim

Edward53 likes this.
  4. padders Oooo subtitles! May 24, 2020

This is a watch forum. Keep that kind of thing off it please.

ejj, Lucasssssss, noiseboyuk and 2 others like this.
  5. timecube May 24, 2020

I don't care about making @padders happy. I care about NOT making the mods annoyed and come down like a ton of bricks and close the thread.

6. krogerfoot May 24, 2020

This forum can really be helpful and informative, but there's a subset of users who take unabashed delight in telling people they've been screwed, sometimes in such a rush that they identify a genuine item as an obvious fake, though maybe not in this case.

I don't know if it could be codified as a forum rule, but a little less glee at others' misfortune would be welcome change on this site.

Sam11, bardamu, DaveK and 12 others like this.
  7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2020

No, but you might get a warning if you want to go around gratuitously poking people...

8. amcclell May 24, 2020

Don't feel bad as most of us got into this game with little experience and have learned lots of lessons the hard way. I now " buy the seller" on pieces where I pay market value. At least you have more certainty that "what you see is what you get." I bought 4 pieces from a local trader, in 2 separate transactions 4 years ago, that seemed like a fair deal. By the time that my watchmaker opened them up, several months later, I was stuck with 2 that were total crap inside, and 2 that were rough but salvageable - lesson learned. This guy was the watch equivalent of a used car curbsider, so I took my lumps and moved on. I still buy the odd piece here and there from private ads and estate sales but only if the price is rock bottom to offset the risks involved.
    In the end with my two garbage pieces, I was able to find an entire movement on ebay that my watchmaker used to get one going, and I was able to track down a pocket watch hobbyist, who had a scrap movement with the very wheel that I needed for the second one. I had more into them than they were worth but there was satisfaction in completing them as projects. If the watch your father bought has a decent movement, he may want to track down a legit dial to restore it. In the end, when I wear my 1950s Zenith, I see it as a project that was salvage and not a transaction where I got burned.

Edited May 24, 2020
  9. JwRosenthal May 24, 2020

If the watch is a true 300 with a bad redial, this may be a situation where the OP could benefit from sending it to Omega for a service, where they will replace the dial and hands and anything else that’s not correct with new service parts (and the original parts like the bezel or case if those are replaced will be returned in a baggie).
    In the end the OP’s dad would end up with a very nice factory serviced SM300 for a not so horrible price- lemonade from lemons.

base615, Dan S, watchyouwant and 5 others like this.
  10. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2020

As one of your earlier posts was reported, I gave you a friendly reminder to play nice.

This is now a slightly less friendly reminder to play nice.

11. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2020

Hi @pIoNeErOfThEnILe
    It’s not about making someone happy . It’s about mutual respect on the forum for all ....

Regards

bill

Sam11, ejj, watchyouwant and 5 others like this.
  12. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant May 24, 2020

Sounds like one of the previously banned guys is back..... kind regards. Achim

apsm100 likes this.
  13. joe band May 25, 2020

funny how tone is like a fingerprint... you can try to mask it, but it always gives you away.

JimJupiter and apsm100 like this.