did i miss out on a military X-33?

Omega made various watches for military groups esp British. Normally they are SMP’s or Planet Ocean 2500’s.

First I’ve seen of one of these.

They are not issued, but special group orders. Most likely this is one of those. It is not military issue though. The name, rank, and callsign where added later. It’s entirely possible the whole thing was added later.

In this case it was a USMC helicopter squadron, oddly based at the time within walking distance of where I grew up.
Edited:

Not much to add to this other than that I own an X-33 that I bought through a friend. He in turn got his (and mine) while flying F-15Es out of Fayetteville, NC. In the late '90's Omega was trying to get watches on the wrists of people who will be seen and respected by the public (not me). So they made nice offers to Squadrons in all the services. The engraving was part of the deal I think. Our watches just had the Eagle logo with "F-15E" written behind the bird. I felt like a poser so I traded my Eagle caseback for two Speedmaster casebacks from an AD. My wife thought I was stupid and you may too but that's just my weird nature. My watch has been recently overhauled with the 2nd gen quartz movement. So I've been wearing it exclusively now after a 15 year hiatus. I recently started flying internationally and find the watch to be just about the perfect traveler. The titanium and quartz mov't make it light enough to run with. To the OP, these watches are for sale everywhere so I wouldn't be too heartbroken if you missed out on that particular watch.

Worked with a Osprey squadron not long ago and the commander had a X33 that was a group buy also.
Common in the Marines

Worked with a Osprey squadron not long ago and the commander had a X33 that was a group buy also.
Common in the Marines
Time period of the above watch and the history of that squadron leads me to believe it might be the same group.

Patch squadron had made for their Aussie 6 month stint.
Recently the squadron moved to Hawaii.
Had lunch with a few guys today as they are heading home soon

Have a few patches ( and a shit load of coins from over the years )
Edited:

Not much to add to this other than that I own an X-33 that I bought through a friend. He in turn got his (and mine) while flying F-15Es out of Fayetteville, NC. In the late '90's Omega was trying to get watches on the wrists of people who will be seen and respected by the public (not me). So they made nice offers to Squadrons in all the services. The engraving was part of the deal I think. Our watches just had the Eagle logo with "F-15E" written behind the bird. I felt like a poser so I traded my Eagle caseback for two Speedmaster casebacks from an AD. My wife thought I was stupid and you may too but that's just my weird nature. My watch has been recently overhauled with the 2nd gen quartz movement. So I've been wearing it exclusively now after a 15 year hiatus. I recently started flying internationally and find the watch to be just about the perfect traveler. The titanium and quartz mov't make it light enough to run with. To the OP, these watches are for sale everywhere so I wouldn't be too heartbroken if you missed out on that particular watch.

I have one
tumblr_puvpdcaiaf1usl35ao1_1280.jpg

I personally know a retired shuttle commander that swears by his and still wears it regularly.

If you like it and can afford it, buy it! You could always sell it if you have a change of heart or circumstance.

I have one too. I was pleasantly surprised when I took it in for service and it was serviced free of charge by Omega.

I have one too. I was pleasantly surprised when I took it in for service and it was serviced free of charge by Omega.

Military purchase can be serviced at no charge?

$1800 for a Gen2 X-33 was a pretty smoking deal, especially with the recent Omega service.

Military purchase can be serviced at no charge?

Yes, the X-33 watches that have the military case backs will be serviced free of charge irrespective of who owns it. I took mine to the San Diego Omega Botique and there was no charge. They told me free service for life of watch.

I am in a Navy squadron and both my Commanding Officer and Executive officer have group buy X-33s. While they were in their previous squadrons they got together and did the group buy with the officers of the wardroom. The case back has their squadron logo on it and their personal callsign underneath. I was shocked when they told me the price and that it is serviced for free for life.

Nice! Very good to know. 😀

My X-33 getting up way too early ... 😁
tumblr_px9j8a8OEF1usl35ao1_1280.jpg