Did I miss a Cheap 2998?

This just closed on eBay. When it came to my attention it was at around £3300, which is probably what a good/excellent correct movement is worth, plus the alpha hands. It has a 7912 bracelet, but I think the end links are after market, so I don't value them fave.JPG
It closed at £6300. This equates to USD 8270

For a 2998, this is considered cheap. So there must be a reason.

Let's go through the parts

Correct dial. Note the slight step, the Applied Metal Logo, SWISS MADE.

It appears dry, and there are sugar rings at the subdials which I don't like. The markers are present, and I have seen worse on more expensive watches. I cant see major damage, but I think it has a lot of minor blemishes, and as I said the surface is not good.

2.JPG

Bezel - it is a DO90, I think, though it is hard to see. That said, I think the bezel is awful. Thick font. Damaged. It's probably a later DO90 bezel added. I place very little value on this bezel - I don't like it and I don't feel it is original to the watch.

b1.JPG b2.JPG

The case has seen a lot of attention. The sides have been brushed, and the case back has lost definition on the bevels.

c1.JPG c2.JPG c3.JPG
The movement is hard to assess on these photos, but already I see an issue - not major in itself, but it signals there may be deeper issues to resolve.

m1.JPG
The hands are valuable, and appear radium or very early tritium.

h1.JPG
The pushers (See above photo) are too big, crown is totally wrong, and will need replacing - let's hope there is no case damage.

Finally, it does have a tired 7912. In days gone by, these sold for over $4,000. Not today though. I am now pretty certain those end links are after market - too clean and straight. Would need better photos, but that knocks them out of contributing value

For me, it was just too unoriginal, and the dial too tired, and the bezel horrible to justify the price it got.

I think I would have happily paid the price I first saw it at, £3300 as that covers the movement dial hands and bracelet. It the restoration failed, and then you broke the watch, and sold the parts, every thing would have to go perfectly to get your money back. At the sale price of £6300. But not by much, so maybe someone got a fun project.

My worry would be the movement, and the case.

I am curious - anyone here think they could justify the price achieved?

What about the idea it's easier to sell a poor 2998 for more than its worth than a good 2998 for less than its worth?
Edited:

I am finding hard to post the link to eBay, it's lot no 176542819262

In todays market it is very difficult to get good value out of almost any Speedmaster. The more expensive it is even harder it becomes. Cheaper watches will find opportunist buyers hoping to find some value. They probably wouldn’t want to take that chance if it was triple the money with a better watch and more rare ref.

One day Speedys will come back. Just not today and probably not tomorrow.

Great post, thanks a lot. Very useful for those like me who are learning the art of Speedmaster assessment!

I passed..... too many warning bells for me. It was 3,700 when I gave up.
Someone has a project.

I dont think it is an attractive watch and case polishing really turns me off. I would not be a buyer at that price.

Great if You're a watchmaker having the correct pieces in stock... but get me started on the CK2998...

In todays market it is very difficult to get good value out of almost any Speedmaster. The more expensive it is even harder it becomes. Cheaper watches will find opportunist buyers hoping to find some value. They probably wouldn’t want to take that chance if it was triple the money with a better watch and more rare ref.

One day Speedys will come back. Just not today and probably not tomorrow.
As warren Buffett says 'when everyone is getting out ...... get in! and when everyone is getting in ..... get out!'

As warren Buffett says 'when everyone is getting out ...... get in! and when everyone is getting in ..... get out!'
I have a mint 2915-3 with your name on it. 😉

That case is truly terrible.

When the only redeeming feature of a watch is the price, I always think you’re on shaky ground as this is how I view this one. On the surface it’s a reasonably priced 2998 and the uninitiated may think it would make a good project but what are you really buying, or more accurately, which components are you buying it for?

The case is very poor, the dial has serious issues as the bezel is below average. So the appeal is the movement, hands and the fact it’s a 2998.
At a cheaper price it could be a guilt free 2998 but in this market it’s not attractive to me at that price.

Great if You're a watchmaker having the correct pieces in stock... but get me started on the CK2998...
having the correct pieces in stock. The condition reminds me of my own 1970s era 861. Of course this post is about a 321, which makes all the difference. Recently I have been snagging up 56x parts assortments. So the movement does not scare me. It is the case and gaskets what terrify me, and caused me to join here looking for someone to help. My hands also have lume falling out.

Still I managed to snag 20 or so Landeron plates and a decent set of other parts. Again it is the cases which are problematic. I seem though to acquire things in threes so that would include the Val-23 messes.

I also seem to have at least three Venus 170s.

And if I count the speedy, that would make 3 Lemania cam chronographs. But only the speedy is Omega, one is Tissot and the other a Lemania 105

There are other outliers what I have worked on in the past. A Memomatic alarm, and the Chronostop. Not to mention many A Schild and Enicar practice pieces. Moon phase and triple date examples are also on the list.

This may be a down market, but a rusted scrap 861 movement similar to mine went for over 1K. Another missing the chronograph went for half of that.

While watchmaking might be a rare skill; the number of YT watch repair videos would suggest that there are plenty of amateur watchmakers out in the wild. There is also a generation what has grown up with three-D printers, laser engravers and such. Granted this is a bit crude at the moment, but give it time. Metal sintering works at the large scale. Eventually that may fall into the miniaturization as well.

I realized that there is no hurry to do anything with my speedy. It was the one watch I wanted most. So it can sit for the time being on the shelf acting as a baldric for a plush snoopy. I have it, and If I did not have it I would want it to the exclusion of all else.

Sure I would like a second or a third speedmaster. In the mean time I have about 30 other Omega variations to keep me company.

Unless I’m mistaken, isn’t it being relisted by the same person who originally ‘sold’ it?

Unless I’m mistaken, isn’t it being relisted by the same person who originally ‘sold’ it?
Yes. eBay Sellers at their best