Forums Latest Members
  1. WatchVaultNYC Jun 15, 2017

I am giddy for my 806, but it looks like lots of dirt has gotten into the dial over the years and stuck to the lume.

I don't want the dial re-done, I want it cleaned - all that gunk removed. My current watchmaker does not have the capability to do this, and outsources to another outfit which will just likely refinish the entire dial. I know an outfit in HK does really good work (and I am in contact with them), but would like to stay stateside for logistical reasons.

Recommendations?

806.jpg
  2. Canuck Jun 15, 2017

Please let us know of your success in "touching up" your dial, and let us see a before and after shot. And share the name of whoever does it for you.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  3. Euxinus Jun 15, 2017

My thoughts exactly!

Also make sure the person speaks good English or any other language you can comunicste in. I have had "do not polish" mistaken with "do polish" do to this reason, I would hate to see "do not redial" get lost in translation.

cristos71 and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  4. arcadelt Jun 15, 2017

5. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jun 16, 2017

Are you talking about MY in HK.
    All I can say is that his work is not as consistent as it used to be. Hit or miss on both bracelet overhaul or dial refinish..
    Good luck, keep us posted..

6. WatchVaultNYC Jun 16, 2017

How about this? I've started calling up some antique clock conservationists. At least these guys are trained to conserve art - and you can argue these vintage dials are art to some extent..

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 16, 2017

I was going to suggest RGM who also do this work. You will have the send the watch to them however. Conservators/restoration experts are safer.

8. WatchVaultNYC Jun 16, 2017

It won't hurt to call. Contact info?

I've had a few but pretty poor experiences with dial refinishers. I don't think I'm ever going to go that route again except with dials that are too far gone (i.e. nothing left to "conserve")

The dial on this 806 is probably $250 max in the open market in case this experiment with the conservator fails spectacularly, so it's not too big a risk. Also the upside if they do excellent work is stratospheric.

Oh and I just found out that conservators are insured? Is this anything like a bonded contractor?

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 17, 2017

RGMwatches.com. Caveat ... they are super conservative about making commitments sight unseen and they are not cheap. May as well get a service done if you use them. To me any reputable restoration shop is worth consulting as well.