Dial refinish by Omega service center

All
Has anyone ever had Omega refinish a speedmaster dial before? I sent my gold plated speedmaster ii for an estimate, dropped it off at the Omega boutique. here’s the response I got.

Hi Rudy,

I spoke with the service center and they found moisture damage on the dial, particularly on the hour markers which will flake off and cause damage to the movement. The refurbishment will strip the dial down to its base and they will essentially recreate/refinish the dial by hand. As it is crafted by hand, there may be a slight variation from what the dial originally looked, but will of course still be authentic.

I hope that helps explain the process a bit, but if you have any further questions just let me know and I’ll do my best to answer.

Reference

Description

Quantity

Sugg. Retail

O898CS0050

WATCH TO BE SERVICED IN SWITZERLAND

O898CS1321

COMPLETE MAINTENANCE SERVICE

O898CS0022

DIAL REFURBISHMENT

O898CS0050

CRYSTAL - 063TF5219TA

O898CS0050

NEW HANDS

Total

I have seen a 105003 that came back from Bienne once with a refinished dial. It was quite the sight, I was surprised Omega would do that.

How much is a new dial? Is that possible to get? Curious what the difference would be btw the 930.00 and a new dial cost.

Can you post a photo of the watch showing the dial?

Not having seen the dial, my suggestion at this point would be to get the watch back, and send it to someone who can stabilize the areas of the dial that are problematic, as well as complete the service. They don't have new dials for this gold plated version from what I can see, but often when Omega says a dial has to be refinished, it can be repaired by other means - they just won't ever take the time to do that.

Cheers, Al

How much is a new dial? Is that possible to get? Curious what the difference would be btw the 930.00 and a new dial cost.
That’s not an option, wish it was available, but it’s not.

Can you post a photo of the watch showing the dial?

Not having seen the dial, my suggestion at this point would be to get the watch back, and send it to someone who can stabilize the areas of the dial that are problematic, as well as complete the service. They don't have new dials for this gold plated version from what I can see, but often when Omega says a dial has to be refinished, it can be repaired by other means - they just won't ever take the time to do that.

Cheers, Al
05D23896-75A6-417F-BB14-CD1FDC19EC3F.jpeg DF4D8E46-0891-42E8-94C2-144165EDF7C5.jpeg

Based on these pics, I strongly recommend to get the watch back from Omega and find an independent watchmaker.
I don't see any severe problems with the dial and would leave it as it is.

Based on these pics, I strongly recommend to get the watch back from Omega and find an independent watchmaker.
I don't see any severe problems with the dial and would leave it as it is.
I have the watch in my possession. I sent it out back in 2019. I was in my safe last night, and my wife asked when I was going to have it serviced.

Also those dials are not that hard to find. Not so long ago people were harvesting 861s out of those and selling on dials and case.

However agree. Think it looks ok tbh

FYI, this is Omega's philosophy regarding servicing vintage watches:
makeup-maquillaje.gif