Forums Latest Members

Dial, hands, and date window on the classic Omega Seamaster De Ville

1. lucreative Apr 4, 2019

Hi all. I just picked up this beautiful Omega Seamaster De Ville. I always wanted this model since it's a standard "must have" for any burgeoning Omega collection. The dial seems almost untouched, however I was wondering about the originality of the hands and dial window. This example has flat hands instead of pointed like most versions. But the tritium seem to match the dial markers. Also the date window is a sharp square, instead of rounded like the versions I've seen.

There is an engraving on the back, a GMC 25 Year Service Award that dates this presentation watch to 1978. So this could possibly be a much much later example of this classic. I honestly don't even know what caliber is in this Omega since I do not have the tools to open this watch.

20190404_124853.jpg
    20190404_124842.jpg

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. lucreative Apr 4, 2019

Also, because I got tricked by a redialed watch before...

Is this a redialed watch? The condition of the dial seems extremely good for a 1970ish watch.

Thank you for your help!

20190404_173822.jpg

Edited Apr 4, 2019
  3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 4, 2019

That date window makes me think about service dials from Australia. Hands are wrong.

4. lucreative Apr 5, 2019

Thanks for the response! I think you are right about the hands, couldn't find any examples with these hands or even examples of this type of hands. It's interesting that the hands are very similar styles to the dial markers with a lume stripe in the middle.

I did find a few examples of the square date window on recently sold listings on auctions sites. They stated original dials, though they could also be replacement dials as you stated.