Forums Latest Members
  1. Melhadary Sep 1, 2015

I would like to share this dilemma....

The fading away of the "Omega" and the "Automatic" text are making me very curious, so is this a redial? Is this Omega original font type and printing?

Font Close up.jpg

Font Close up 2.jpg

Giff2577 likes this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 1, 2015

Fading would not be unusual at all, and the printing looks pretty crisp to me.

What reference is this, and from around what year? Fonts changed over time.

3. Melhadary Sep 1, 2015

This is from a ref. 2520 cal.352RG, with a serial number that puts the watch between the years '50 to '51.
    Actually, my concern was that only some of the text is fading :confused:

4. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Sep 1, 2015

My layman's thoughts would be that fading indicates the text is older, so a redial would fade less as it would be newer. I know redials happened back in the day too, but logically that's the way I'd think of it

5. Melhadary Sep 1, 2015

So perhaps an older Omega Automatic, that was then re-issued into a Chronometer Officially Certified Seamaster? The fonts are so close to factory standard... Was this done by Omega, I wonder?

6. Melhadary Sep 1, 2015

.... too close....
    The 2520 "Seamaster":
    Font Close up.jpg
    Compared to my 2518 cal.343RG off the same era:
    2518_8.jpg

fskywalker likes this.
  7. Willem023 Sep 1, 2015

Guys, call me stupid (anyone does...) ::psy::, but what is the exact issue here? :thumbsdown:
    As stated by @Darlinboy, font looks sharp, fading might just be age and ...... ?

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 1, 2015

Age and patina or previous cleaning. Either way looks ok to me.

Willem023 likes this.
  9. Melhadary Sep 1, 2015

..... so why would anyone in their right mind need to glue all the markers and the Omega logo onto that beautiful "un-tampered with" dial, post factory issuing??????
    2520 dial_5.jpg
    .... All those silver blobs around the marker & logo feet are cement traces... which have even migrated and left traces on the movement itself :confused:
    Why???:mad:

10. Willem023 Sep 1, 2015

Ah, new and undisclosed information!! Is this a quiz? I like ::stirthepot::::stirthepot::::stirthepot::
    Caseback plastic?
    Methinks it is a fake!!

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 1, 2015

Who knows but still looks like an original printing to me.

Melhadary likes this.
  12. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Sep 1, 2015

pls. post a close up of the complete dial, if you want answers. kind regards. achim

Willem023 likes this.
  13. Melhadary Sep 1, 2015

[​IMG]

14. mac_omega Sep 1, 2015

I think it is legit - still has the old radium lume fillings in the indices

Melhadary likes this.
  15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 1, 2015

Looks like someone tried to clean the dial. That process may have taken off the lacquer and caused some degradation of the printing.

It is also possible that one or more of the markers came loose and were reattached by a watchmaker.

I vote original, but improperly cleaned.
    gatorcpa

16. Willem023 Sep 1, 2015

+1

17. Hijak Sep 1, 2015

Hello Melhadary,

I have a ref. 2577 with a cal. 352 that has a very similar dial to your watch...
    image.jpg
    Yours looks identical in every detail...maybe someone removed the dial furniture to clean the dial and was cautious replacing it for fear of damaging the dial by heating the solder or they just didn't have the skills. Whatever happened I have to agree with others from above and say yours looks origional to me.:thumbsup:

Melhadary likes this.
  18. omegastar Sep 1, 2015

In the early Seamaster models, I beleive the Seamaster word was printed after. Many dials don't have the word printed on them, like they decided afterwards to print it. Somtimes it is in a different place. All this to say that if it was printed later it was printed in a different way, even maybe on the laquer or with a different ink. Just my opinion.

Melhadary and Hijak like this.
  19. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Sep 1, 2015

if it is a reprint, which I think it is, it is a well executed one. I think, the dial should be 2 tone, just like the one shown here by hijacks. what bothers me most, is the re dialers notch at 12. but I would buy that one. even with the slight flaws. kind regards. achim

20. Melhadary Sep 1, 2015

Actually Gator, that's what's so confusing, there doesn't seem to be any uneven degradation on the dial and the only change I see effected on the dial is where the cement may have seeped onto it from under the logo... Here's the dial from another angle showing this:
    [​IMG]