Forums Latest Members
  1. vincereynard Oct 15, 2015

In an attempt to learn more I'm analysing existing Ad from, presumably, reputable dealers.

http://www.sonningvintagewatches.co...ega-constellation-pie-pan-gents-vintage-watch

I've read that a solid gold dial has OM either side of the "swiss made" legend.
    Is this true or only for certain models? If it is true, then that would mean the dial of the above was either refinished or not solid gold? A dennison case is generally of less collector appeal that a swiss made case?

It must be very expensive to live in Sonning!

Vince

2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 15, 2015

it is indeed a lovely watch -and very expensive!
    (nasty crown -and I can't believe they didn't put an Omega buckle on the Hirsch strap for this price)

OM stands for Or Massif and does appear on some solid gold watch dials but certainly not on all Constellation dials
    That doesn't mean to say it is not a redial -but this one looks pretty good to me
    Fastidious collectors prefer swiss made cases as they came out of the factory paired with the movement & dial
    there are also french, (chunkier lugs) american and south american (lighter gauge) made gold cases -all to do with tax on gold imports at the time -wherein movements were fitted into locally made cases
    I think Shackman did UK gold cases (and bracelets) too

you are obviously interested in Constellations so read Desmond's blog (intensively ) -lots of your answers are there!

Philip

Edited Oct 15, 2015
  3. Hijak Oct 15, 2015

I think the dial looks fine, not sure if its gold...but least of this watches problems! The movement seems a little fishy to me...the bridge looks replaced as it is different color and does not have the chronometer inscription on it (adjuster five positions ect., ect.). Crown is wrong (easily fixed) and an English made case...not sure what the English used to denote 18K but hard to tell if case actually is 18K, more knowledgeable will come along and comment on this I'm sure. I'd be very cautious on this one!!!:cautious:

P.S. Case has been polished pretty heavily too.

Edited Oct 15, 2015
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 15, 2015

18 for 18K mark here, hallmarks represent date and city of manufacture as well.

As noted by others the watch really is a bit of a mess especially for the asking price.

1075-inside-case.jpg

5. Hijak Oct 15, 2015

Thanks Norm! Had no idea about the English system of markings.

6. vincereynard Oct 15, 2015

Thanks for the replies. I had no intention of buying it, especially at that price, I just wanted more
    learned views to learn from. For instance I had not noticed that the bridge was a different colour!

English hallmarks are first "square" a crown to show solid gold, next the carat, in this case 18, then where hallmarked - an anchor is birmingham.
    Forth is a letter indicating year.

Out of my meager collection my favourite is a simple '47 black dial winder in a dennison case. Hence I have studied the Brit hallmarks.

The rather chunky crown might also be a Dennison characteristic as it is the same as on the above.

Philip - I've used up a complete set of ink cartridges printing Desmond's wisdom. Learning it is another matter.