Forums Latest Members

descriptive words used in "For Sale" forums

1. GordonL Feb 26, 2018

I was wondering if there are a series of "standard" definitions of the types of words used to subjectively describe the condition of a vintage watch? For example, in the 2nd hand vinyl world, there are (relatively formal) definitions of MINT, EXCELLENT, VERY GOOD etc etc. Are there equivalents in the watch world? Or is it read the words, look at the pictures and make up your own mind?

The reason I'm asking is that there is a watch for sale on the forum right now, where the case is described as "perfect". To an English speaker (like me), this would seem to be the equivalent of "mint". But the watch in question is at least 75 years old, is obviously not a "safe queen", and has some visually obvious flaws. So what does "perfect" mean in this context?

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  2. gostang9 Feb 26, 2018

I always take such sales descriptions to mean “I want to sell this watch for the maximum I can get”.

Ultimately, every seller has decided that for some reason they don’t want to keep the watch they’re selling. For me, any watch I have that is “perfect” in any way will stay in my possession so I can continue wearing it.

I think the most valuable line many sales descriptions include is “pictures are part of the description”.

WhatYourWatchSay and Larry S like this.
  3. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 26, 2018

my 0.02$

it's up to the seller to be as honest (an consistent) as possible in wording used in his descriptions.
    it's up to the buyer to ask for additional photographs and assess the object the watch if required, pictures are worth thousand words.

As a seller, you'll look really silly if you use obviously inadequate wording. As a buyer, you can't complain if the watch you bought initially described as perfect and shown in pictures from all angles, isn't a minty safe queen.

Where's the truth? How do you manage personal tastes and appreciations? Do we need such rules?

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 26, 2018

It can be perfect for its age ;)

But yes it's only a word and a picture has a thousand words :whistling:

5. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Feb 26, 2018

If something is perfect it cannot change. No watch, or anything made by mankind can be perfect.

Lucasssssss likes this.
  6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 26, 2018

I posted this many years ago on Timezone, and at least once on this forum as well:

For the benefit of those who have not yet figured out the precise meanings of words used to describe watches on the Sales Corner, I've put together a handy quick reference guide:

RARE = obscure, and probably undesirable

MINTY = leaves a fresh feeling in your mouth if you suck on it for several minutes (remember though: sucking on a non-waterproof watch could cause damage to the timepiece; conversely, the safer diver's models tend to be very big, and the large crowns may scrape sensitive tissue)

VINTAGE = manufactured sometime prior to 2000

CLASSIC = smaller than 40mm (without crown)

REDUCED = the seller either initially priced the item ridiculously high, or it's unlikely to be sold at any price

REDUCED AGAIN = see above (and probably the latter)

FINAL REDUCTION = seller will probably accept 70% of the stated "final" price, and pay postage plus the Paypal fee

SPRING CLEANING = seller will likely accept $50.00 for the whole lot

STUNNING = just remember that's it's quite possible to be stunned by ugliness

BEAUTIFUL = perhaps in the eye of the beholder, who happens to be the seller

COLLECTIBLE = somebody in the world owns more than one

LNIB = cosmetically fine, but less accurate than a $19.00 quartz watch

LIKE NEW = mint condition (at best)

MINT = excellent condition (at best)

EXCELLENT = very good condition (at best)

VERY GOOD = good condition (at best)

GOOD = fair condition (at best)

FAIR = unsalvageable condition

Finally, for most efficient browsing, keep the following tip in mind: the more exclamation points there are following a description, the less likely it is to be accurate!

Regards,

Tony C.

sxl2004, Longbow, Syrte and 25 others like this.
  7. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2018

Hi

this is a tough call ..... it depends.... a comicbook guy once told me ...grading is very subjective and not only is it subjective it also relative to how old the book it also..... a mint comic book from 2010 is held to a higher standard then a mint graded book that is from 1938....

just a thought.

Bill

8. SeanO Feb 26, 2018

We also haven’t made mention of Art Deco or Streamline Moderne which can be placed either side of any of those words.

9. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Feb 26, 2018

When did Oversize and Jumbo come to mean anything >30mm?

Syrte, WhatYourWatchSay and oddboy like this.
  10. GordonL Feb 26, 2018

that's interesting Bill because that's not the case in the 2nd hand vinyl world. There, MINT is always supposed to mean the same, irrespective of the age of the item being described. (So not too many MINT Robert Johnson 78s around....!)

11. wsfarrell Feb 26, 2018

I've noticed that people who misuse these terms also tend to use "nines" pricing, as in $4,999 and even $4,999.99. The idea that this would fool buyers into thinking it's less than five thousand dollars is pretty funny.

12. BenBagbag Feb 26, 2018

I imagine there needs to be much more standardization in vinyls because the condition of the vinyl yields a qualitatively different sound. The condition directly relates to functioning (I totally could be wrong though. I'm a millennial :D). Watches are more art and condition doesn't necessairly impact function in the strictest sense of the word.

I've been thinking for a while of what would be a good parallel market to compare vintage watches to. Would love to hear some opinions.

13. heccsat Feb 26, 2018

I never really care about the condition description (let the pictures do the talking), only when somebody clearly lies about it, then I stay away from the watch, even when I like it so I don't want to deal with that seller.

14. gostang9 Feb 26, 2018

My favorite description on any sales post is “SOLD”. In the rare case I bought it, I’m thrilled that I pulled the trigger. When someone else bought it, I’m relieved that I no longer have to resist or debate pulling the trigger!

kov, Aussie Jim, Nathan1967 and 6 others like this.
  15. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 26, 2018

FWIW, I keep reading the title of this thread as "Deceptive" and not "Descriptive", but I think that is the more accurate word.

16. GordonL Feb 26, 2018

I was trying to not be too contentious

STANDY and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  17. omegaswisst Feb 26, 2018

Would I be right in saying the more experienced the buyer the less they rely on the seller's description to make their decision?

In all buying endeavours "caveat emptor"

GordonL and CdnWatchDoc like this.
  18. Diverdown Feb 26, 2018

Unpolished, polished, BNIB... I look for black & white descriptions when viewing 'for sale' posts. Words that aren't opinions are most helpful. Usually able to compare them against the pictures. And if the watch isn't as described, then it tells me all I need to know about the seller

19. Seacow Mar 10, 2018

Hahahaha it reminds me of good old "NOS" condition.::facepalm1::

kov likes this.
  20. ClarendonVintage Mar 10, 2018

A random question that probably doesn't deserve starting a thread: is it possible to submit a FS/WTT post in the Watch Parts subforum, or a WTB/WTT in the WTB subforum? What I intend to do is to downsize a watch display box.