Forums Latest Members

Depollier Case Waltham WW1 era trench watch

1. river rat Feb 22, 2021

Just bought this off eBay the other day a Depollier cased Waltham trench watch. It had a engraving that caught my attention the original owners name and USNR 1918 since I did the Navy reserve after active duty. Would like to find out the more about the owner but I would need more info than a name and and branch of service. This kind of replaced a water proof crown depollier I was stupid enough to sell some years ago. The hour hand will need some lume touch up and a movement service. Looks like the original crown but looks like the cystal was replaced.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30t1, Zapatta, noelekal and 5 others like this.
  2. JwRosenthal Feb 22, 2021

Nice pick-up. I do love when watches like this are personalized as they give you a lead to the provenance....perhaps the only time we like engraved watches.

DaveK likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 22, 2021

Edited Feb 24, 2021
    Thommas and DaveK like this.
  4. river rat Feb 23, 2021

I mite contact him and see if he is related not many with that name. The watch is coming from Waltham, MA so both got east coast connection. Thanks for the info. Being III with that name could be my Grandfather was in WW1 and I am third generation from him.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. river rat Feb 23, 2021

Know how Hamilton made a Khaki watch well it was not the first the watch above was Hamilton borrowed the name.
    [​IMG]

Professor, 30t1, ConElPueblo and 2 others like this.
  6. Waltesefalcon Feb 24, 2021

Smart marketing on the part of Swatch. They owned one American name, liked the name "Khaki," and probably figured they should go for it. Not only does it sound better than just "field watch" it is also something they could trademark.

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 24, 2021

So he reached out to me and he says no relation.

river rat and DaveK like this.
  8. Borosilikat Feb 24, 2021

Maybe try in the phone book ?

9. river rat Feb 25, 2021

Well received it today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With his brothers

Alpha, DaveK, TexOmega and 4 others like this.
  10. river rat Feb 25, 2021

The USNR Navy connection being in the Navy reserve my self after active duty and my Grandfather serving in the US Navy during WW1 made it were I had to have this watch a few WW1 era photo's from my Grandpa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He joined the Navy way before WW1 went up the ranks as a aviation machinist mate all the way to Chief petty officer then became a mustang a enlisted becoming a Officer retired after WW2. The seaplane base was on Deering Island today it was filled in. Were Miami city hall is in Florida was were this Navy base once stood had to do some home work to find out were it was.

DManzaluni, Alpha, DaveK and 6 others like this.
  11. river rat Feb 25, 2021

Thanks for the help

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. Waltesefalcon Feb 25, 2021

Fantastic history there. My granddad was a crew chief for F6Fs and F4Us right after WWII and through Korea.

13. Waltesefalcon Feb 25, 2021

Fantastic history there. My granddad was a crew chief for F6Fs and F4Us right after WWII and through Korea.

14. river rat Feb 25, 2021

My Dad was also a crew chief in WW2 through Korea and Vietnam started in PBY then Avengers torpedo aircraft as a ball turret gunner. In Korea his squadron used the only torpedo in the war to blow up a dam did helicopters in Vietnam. In the 1970's my Brother was in a P3 squadron I was the only one that did not do aviation in the Navy I was a Boatswain Mate we did work the hardest in the Navy out of all the rates.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  15. river rat Feb 26, 2021

I ask some one for help at the NAWCC forum who has a web site called time capsule with history of the watches owners in his collection. Only info about Navy in a news paper article were the reporter used a V instead of a B more about what he did as a civilian. It's in the PDF file in the post. Check out his web site some cool stuff to read.
    (1) Time Capsule: Alaska Gold Rush Pioneer & His Lord Elgin Watch | NAWCC Forums

16. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 26, 2021

Great photos river rat!

My grandfather was in the Navy and was stationed at Pensacola during World War I, assigned to a launch that went out into the Gulf to rescue downed airmen who apparently went into the drink with some frequency. I really appreciate your photos. He may have seen some of these planes and personnel.

17. river rat Feb 26, 2021

If the info I got right he and his Dad were Musicians in symphonies in civilian life maybe he was in a Navy band most large ships had them and around 1916 the Navy was slowly making a permanent Navy band at the Navy yard in Washington DC until it became permanent in 1925. Photo of the Navy band on the USS New Mexico my Grandpa ship. On the bottom of a ships crew photo Osha would go nuts if the Navy did a photo like this no safety harnesses.
    [​IMG]

Waltesefalcon and noelekal like this.
  18. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 26, 2021

Another great photo river rat!

My grandfather on my mother's side was on the USS New York from 1920 to 1924.

Oh well ... one may have the exhilaration of liberty and danger in a dramatic 100 year old photograph or one may have the "safety" of regulations and OSHA in today's America.

19. river rat Feb 26, 2021

My Grandfather was on the USS New Mexico and the USS West Virginia and the USS Saratoga maybe more but I got photo's from those and cert. like summons to going over the equator from those most in the 1920's so our Grandfathers must of crossed paths. I have a early cruse book I guess you can call it all on going across the equator you only want to be on the receiving end once been through the initiation once from wog to shellback but from that 1920's era cruse book they got beat made mine look easy. A photo of Grandpa going over the line.
    [​IMG]
    One guy got a cricket bat you know he used it as a shillelagh they used a cut piece of fire house to hit us in the ass as we were walking on all four from the fantail to the forecastle. When Grandpa went across it had to be brutal. Love what's on the suitcase no mercy no justice.

Edited Feb 26, 2021
    Waltesefalcon, JimInOz and noelekal like this.
  20. river rat Feb 26, 2021

That one summons from the USS West Virginia it sort of the best history you can have it was printed on the ship they use to have print shop on those large battle ships it was at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7.