Forums Latest Members

Dent in 3 months old AT. Any suggestions, pls?

1. Gaurav Nov 25, 2016

Hi,

Have put a dent in my 3 months old AT :( Can it be buffed out by Omega service centre? Has anyone else has had similar one buffed off?

Any help would be great. Really really upset, struggling to get over it.

Thanks

IMG_5266.JPG
    meganfox17 likes this.
  2. tyrantlizardrex Nov 25, 2016

Buffing it out, will involve removing material... so you lose the edge shape of the case.

It's possible to have material laser welded in, and then shaped back, to fill dents... I've had this done on a Speedmaster MkIII.

In all honesty, you're best off leaving well alone... and maybe asking Omega to repair it when it's due for a service.

SmokyT and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  3. Sanmilc Nov 25, 2016

::facepalm1:: That sucks but I think is better to leave it as it is....

Gaurav likes this.
  4. Maganator Nov 25, 2016

Is this an expensive process?

5. tyrantlizardrex Nov 25, 2016

STS did it as part of the standard service cost of the MKIII - they offer it stand alone, I think from around £200.

I'm not sure whether Omega include it in their service prices or if they would charge extra.

Maganator likes this.
  6. Maganator Nov 25, 2016

Thanks. May explore this further with them

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  7. Kobus Nov 25, 2016

The hurt will get less.

How did it happen?

8. Gaurav Nov 25, 2016

Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  9. Gaurav Nov 25, 2016

Came home from work, as soon as I opened up the door, my dog who was so happy to see me, jumped and somehow managed to kind of bit into it in his excitement.

10. Kobus Nov 25, 2016

At least a cute story. ;)

Gaurav likes this.
  11. ulackfocus Nov 25, 2016

My advice?

Get over it. Life, and dents & scratches, happens.

12. Vitezi Nov 25, 2016

Buy vintage watches. They come pre-dented for your convenience! :)

gemini4, Nitzbar, Egatdagi and 7 others like this.
  13. Badwolf Nov 25, 2016

Obviously you know it's there, but when are you really going to notice it on your wrist.

I would leave it until the whole case needs work, then have the welding done.

What kind of dog? They're all shih tzus when they bite your watch!

14. OhMegaMan Nov 25, 2016

Wow...the dog can bite into steel and dent it? It isnt Cujo, is it? Would hate to see what happened to the dog teeth. And i thought steel is tough...they dont make em like they used to.

15. MPWATCH Watch Lover Nov 25, 2016

When the piece is passed into the secondary market (if it wasn't acquired from the secondary market or if it was sold "as new") it will suffer a reduction in price, but if you hold onto it long enough that blemish might just turn into character way down the road. I wouldn't let it ruin the watch for you. Keep the rest of the watch as perfect as humanly possible, and hope for a easy sell down the road.

Once you start getting involved in restoration, you will be adding on the cost of the piece & should disclose said restoration to any future buyer.

These things happen! I dropped my first Rolex Day-Date and threw the day window off balance the day I bought it... Welcome to the world of passionate watch collecting!

Best of luck my friend & welcome to the forum! A+ crowd of people here & lots to learn.

Thomas

Spacefruit likes this.
  16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 25, 2016

Every time you see that dent you will think of your dog. Love the dog ...love the dent ... see alll better.

Darlinboy, oddboy, Jwit and 4 others like this.
  17. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Nov 25, 2016

I love condition as much as the next guy, and while I believe I have a discerning eye for detail, many times I receive a vintage piece, and only after days do I see a flaw like you posted or I see it, and it just doesn't bother me.

This is also the exact reason I loath new watches, new cars, new boats, new guns, etc. when you put an idiot mark on it, you never forget it, yet when you buy it with one, you don't care.

You are adding patina, congrats, wear in good health!

ahartfie, Nitzbar and oddboy like this.
  18. meganfox17 Nov 25, 2016

Any Suggestions ?[​IMG]

kkt likes this.
  19. thatonewatchdude Nov 25, 2016

for the case to be re done you will have to get it full serviced because they will have to remove the movement from the case to be able to work on the case itself.

20. Gaurav Nov 25, 2016

Agree, thats life! Just a matter of time before i get over it. Hope it happens soon :)