Forums Latest Members
  1. blackcat23 Feb 12, 2013

Hi guys. As a newbie to Omega collecting,(other than condition and personal value of a piece) is there a guide of any sort when it comes to deciding on how rare a particular watch is? I know value is a bit subjective, but I more or less mean value when it comes to scarcity of a piece. For example, is there a list of any kind that would tell how many of a particular model were produced? I apologize if this has a simple answer, but don't know how to begin familiarizing myself with a good buy when I see one. Thanks in advance.

2. ulackfocus Feb 13, 2013

Simple answer: very few Omegas are rare. They made a LOT of watches in the 50's and especially the 60's. I'm not aware of any definitive guide to how many of each model were made.

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 13, 2013

There are very few omegas that were made in limited numbers - the "limited edition" phenomenon is a relatively new one. The ones that are very uncommon are such usually due to some unforseen events - the synchrobeat for example because it was recalled and the RAF '53 Thin Arrow because the vast majority of dials were repainted by the MoD to the more common Fat Arrow version - these are just the first examples that come to mind. What make a vintage omega rare and valuable is the combination of all original parts and exceptional condition in a watch that is already sought after - the early cal. 321 speedmasters is a good example.

Dennis is right - for the virtually all of these vintage models, there is no clear guide to how many of each model was made. I don't think there is even a record of all the different model variations of all the vintage omegas that were ever produced! Much of these are educated guesses on the part of collectors who have been at it for at least a few years.

4. blackcat23 Feb 14, 2013

That was sort of what I suspected. Thanks for clarifying though. I appreciate it guys.

5. Mothra Feb 14, 2013

I think condition and popularity are soooo much more important than rarity when it comes to value - and popularity can be decided by lots of simple factors - for example, ladies don't often collect vintage watches, so they are usually significantly cheaper. Size is important - anything less than 36mm is at an immediate disadvantage in this world of plate sized wrist timepieces. Gold content sets a minimum value, but stainless steel maybe more sought after. There are watches that are already popular and a good condition pie pan, early speedmaster or 300 diver is not going to lose you money, but to make the most you probably need to guess whats jumping next. I'm not sure rarity plays much of a factor most of the time.

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 14, 2013

Price=Law of Supply (Availability or Rarity) and Demand (Popularity or Desirability).

7. Mothra Feb 14, 2013

I get that, but what I'm trying to say is there were millions of pie pans, and probably a lot less speedy mk4.5s, but the speedys aren't worth any more because they aren't in so much demand. So in the formula, rarity doesn't really come close in terms of impact on value (which is what the op was asking about) compared to popularity and condition...

happy to drop this if I'm only making sense to myself...

8. 124watchfan Feb 14, 2013

A member of another forum, Francois Boucher put together a list of omega calibers with production numbers. That's about as close as you will get to an answer But as others have said nothing that will help with particular model production runs Except for some of the known rare models/calibers and recent le's.

9. blackcat23 Feb 17, 2013

Thanks guys. I wanted to see if there was any other info other than condition and supply and demand at play. In any case, I'm not necessarily flipping watches, just interested in knowing more about any info that's out there on these pieces.