Forums Latest Members

Debunking the Faux-Patina Myth : radium/tritium vintage watches had colored lume since new

1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jan 8, 2020

I have long wondered why so many folks moan and groan 'oh no, that watch is bla bla rubbish bla bla faux-tina'. For instance, the new SS 321 'Ed White', or the SpeedyTuesday 'Ultraman'.

Guys (and girls)! Radium/Tritium Speedmasters (and I am certain other watches...feel free to add photographic evidence) lume was never white to begin with ... it came, new, with off-white creamy/lightly-canary-yellow/lightly-mint-green radium/tritium...or as every youtube-watchpro-wannabee calls it 'faux patina' or 'fauxtina' ... pretty much how the new 'Ed White' has it. Omega has actually nailed it pretty spot on. So, please stop calling everything with any color 'faux patina' or 'fauxtina' or 'faux', or whatever, please stop complaining, please look at historically accurate (to details as fine as lume color) modern watches that DONT have white lume in a positive way, and please please pretty please when you are GTG'ing with your watch buddies, educate them. And if you know any of the said YouTube-watch-pro-wannabees, definitely educate them. Thanks.

Here are some color pics from the 60s when these watches were new ...using the white hand and dial text as a reference for white (and preferably looking on a decent monitor, and not a phone with night-shade or power-saving), its clear to see the tritium/radium indices are not white...colored very much like the modern watches mentioned above...and colored very much like vintage watches today. I am not say that Tritium/Radium suppliers did not supply it as white (that would make the most sense IMHO for manufacturers to tint it as they wished), I am not saying it doesn't change, or darken...I am also not saying that all the faux-patina modern homages are not faux-patina (I am looking at you, new Bond SM300 ... although you are not a reissue of a historic watch and are yourself a first incarnation)...

Niel1.jpg
    Niel1_watch.jpg

Neil2.jpg Neil2_watch.jpg

Neil3.jpg Neil3_watch.jpg

145.012(or 105.012...too lazy to research what Al was issued)

Al_Worden_Speedmaster.jpg

Wally1.jpg Wally1_watch.jpg

(If anybody knows where to find a good res of this pic, please PM me)

Schirra-2.jpg

And feel free to add more evidence, or prove me wrong!

PS: and to the choir who I am preaching too (I know you folks are a minority), I humbly apologize.

Edit : Here are more pics from further down the thread for the case you don't feel like reading every entry (thanks to all that contributed...I have seen most of these in the years before posting this thread, but had no record of where).

Ed White (From Ultraman TV show)

ScreenShot075.jpg ScreenShot079.jpg ScreenShot080.jpg
    MoS.jpg

Advertising Images

HA.jpg
    MoS3.png MoS2.png
    166.024 med SORT date wheel.JPG 1969.jpg advert.JPG omega300ad.jpg Seamaster catalogue 1968 I_zpsyv2uazpz.jpg

(and here the mintest 145.012 'in the world' :rolleyes: superimposed on a product image...even the hand-lume mismatch is a match imho)

HAHA.jpg

James Bond's Rolex

E683257B-01C0-498E-A231-2EF2E4CA0F0B.jpeg

Blue radium…

9C52C3E6-3999-452F-8EE9-C3D1A3C1ED74.jpeg

A Breitling Top-Time with green lume

[​IMG]

Edited Mar 14, 2023
    mbeast, Mark020, Alex Cheers and 34 others like this.
  2. Dan S Jan 8, 2020

I'll bet you believe the moon photos as well. ;)

3. CPRwatch Jan 8, 2020

Faux tastic .

OMEGuy, kov and eugeneandresson like this.
  4. vicsdca Jan 8, 2020

Faux rmidable

heavenscloud, chronos, DaveK and 3 others like this.
  5. Nathan1967 Jan 8, 2020

Great stuff Eugene!

You’ve given me the verbal bombs I need to throw - no more unnecessary slappy nerd fights for me at GTGs with them there ‘Tina Haters. My wife is tired of me returning from T4aP after midnight, battered, bruised and with a torn outfit.

::book:: Not :whipped:

davten, bazamu, Uniqez and 3 others like this.
  6. Joe_A Jan 8, 2020

"Here are some color pics from the 60s when these watches were new ...using the white hand and dial text as a reference for white, its clear to see the tritium/radium indices are off white...very much like the modern watches mentioned above."

The above is very easy to explain. Your analysis may be flawed.

The old photographs have developed patina as well! :)

apsm100, vlaspri, 64Wing and 4 others like this.
  7. OMEGuy Jan 8, 2020

Understood... It's not "faux-patina" it is "fauxpas-tina". :thumbsup:

gostang9, aap, Spacefruit and 3 others like this.
  8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 8, 2020

Er.... not sure I can distinguish colors clearly on those pictures— but I doubt those discussions will ever end as I think it’s primarily a matter of taste.
    To me, the bright white found on modern tool watches is cold and lifeless, and if I’m going to spend on a watch I don’t want it to remind me of a fridge or the walls of a hospital room. As a matter of fact I prefer stainless steel finish on fridges for the same reason.

Agree that Omega struck a perfect balance with the cream color on the new Ed White.

noelekal, Faz, oinkitt and 12 others like this.
  9. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jan 8, 2020

@Nathan1967 LOL. Yeah you are a hooligan bunch I know :)

You shouldn't look on your phone, at night if it has 'night-shade' or any of those funny power-saving techniques.
    (Edit: Any monitor displaying white correctly will do - ) I have a calibrated Eizo professional grade monitor (for photographers etc ... my better half got a 2-4-1 deal and so I ended up with it...luckily) ... its pretty clear on this side of the screen.

But agreed, this discussion might never end. Wish there were well document historic color pics of OTHER vintage watches when they were new...am pretty sure most folk are sick of speeee-eeeee-eeeeeedmasters :)

Edited Jan 8, 2020
  10. abrod520 Jan 8, 2020

I'm going to take the unpopular opinion and go even further; I like the Bond watch and its so-called "fauxtina" as well.

I think some watches work well enough with cold, lifeless white Luminova but most of the time I'm more likely to lean towards the warmth of a cream-colored lume.

Want to know what faux patina looks like?

[​IMG]

That ^ That is faux patina. Not yellow/orange/brown lume.

11. Ree Jan 8, 2020

'Ed white' and -67 from Ultraman TV show
    screen3.jpg ScreenShot079.jpg ScreenShot075.jpg ScreenShot078.jpg ScreenShot080.jpg

12. Theluglife Jan 8, 2020

screw what the haters say, I'm going to love creamy faux patina like I love pineapples on my pizza. I don't care what everyone thinks

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 8, 2020

Are you having a sleep over with @SpeedyPhill and going through NASA photos together :whistling:

:D:D

Pazzo, pdxleaf, Uniqez and 4 others like this.
  14. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 8, 2020

Pineapple and ham pizza, apparently invented in Chatham, Ontario. Okay, back to the argument...

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 8, 2020

Ahhh that’s why they call it a Hawaiian pizza in Australia ::confused2::

nzshadow likes this.
  16. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 8, 2020

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  17. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jan 8, 2020

Those astronauts always appear to have good hair days.

How do they do that?

I want to do that...

BA91D9CC-570A-4837-AB06-AB2D8FB8920A.jpeg

MartinAir, Mad Cow, Pazzo and 15 others like this.
  18. airansun In the shuffling madness Jan 9, 2020

This.

PS - My recollection of my 145-022-74 when I first got it in 1982, the lume was pretty close to white.

Edited Jan 9, 2020
    Syrte and janice&fred like this.
  19. nzshadow Stowaway Jan 9, 2020

Faux Rill.

heavenscloud, Mad Dog, DaveK and 2 others like this.
  20. Nathan1967 Jan 9, 2020

Faux Sho