Forums Latest Members

Debating a Mitsukoshi swap but keep running into hiccups

1. brokenblinker Feb 16, 2019

As the title mentions, I have been dreaming about a Mitsukoshi dial swap for a couple of years now. I started thinking more seriously about it this week, and found an Omega service center that said they would be willing to perform the dial/hand swap (and order the parts for me) pending an evaluation of the watch to make sure it didn't need service. I took the watch by today, and they told me that I need a service and it would be $750 on top of ordering the parts. They quoted me $400 for the dial purchase (which is a steal compared to ebay prices), but said they won't know if its on backorder until they try to order it.

I bought my 3572.50 about 2 years ago, and it had supposedly been serviced 1 year prior (so a total of 3 years ago). It generally keeps about +2s/day on the wrist (not sure off the wrist, whenever I'm wearing my other watches I don't keep it fully wound. Attached is the timegrapher output they provided. They told me they would want it to be between 0 and 5s in all positions (which seems ridiculous to me as that is near master chronometer specs). Any thoughts? Any other ways to perform this swap at a reasonable price?

IMG_20190216_111830.jpg
    Edited Feb 16, 2019
    robinhook likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 16, 2019

You also need hands. I’m also not sure they can get the parts anymore.

Also note it’s not an omega service center, but someone with a parts account.

3. BradleyJ. Feb 16, 2019

Is it possible it wasnt serviced when the person said it was? Maybe the reason for "needing" a service is due to the oils and not the time issue.

Since you're doing the swap maybe it is a good idea to freshen the whole package up?

If you genuinely dont want the service, cant you just turn it down?

4. brokenblinker Feb 16, 2019

These are good questions. They won't do the swap without a service.

Here's my top level concern - What happens if I agree to service/dial order, but then the dial is on backorder, or they can't actually obtain it. Then, I might be on the hook for the full service and not be able to do the swap after all.

5. Meme-Dweller Feb 16, 2019

The amplitude readings look pretty strong... I wouldn't service it. Looks like someone just needs to take the time and regulate it correctly.

6. brokenblinker Feb 16, 2019

This is the hard part. I cannot find anyone that will replace dial/hands without the servicing - which adds about $500 to the labor costs they had quoted for just the dial/hand swap.

7. Meme-Dweller Feb 16, 2019

There are plenty forum favorite watchmakers that will do the swap for a reasonable price. The real challenge is finding someone who can source the parts for you since Omega started emulating Rolex.

I would just take it easy and occasionally lurk eBay for the parts to randomly appear.

8. brokenblinker Feb 16, 2019

Can you point me in the directions of some of those?

The difficulty is that the dial alone seems to run $800+ online, but the shop will source it for $400. That means that buying it myself ends up costing pretty much the same because the parts price difference makes up the $500 service difference.

9. BradleyJ. Feb 16, 2019

Best I seen was the dial alone for 700ish and I forget where that was. Wish I knew where they were for cheaper.

If he says he can get it for 400 then why not just do a refundable deposite and see if he can actually source it? If he cant then take your money and walk away. If he can then just go thru with the service and start fresh doesnt seem like theres many options. I would suggest trying to find someone else with a parts account who can do the job and see what they say about needing service. Other than that I got nothing

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 16, 2019

It was that price. AFAIK that dial is swap only now. This changed about 2 years ago or so hence they high eBay prices now.

lando likes this.
  11. brokenblinker Feb 18, 2019

Well, since it would cost so much to source the Mitsukoshi dial elsewhere, I think I'll probably end up doing the service at the same time. It comes with a 3 year warranty which will be a nice peace of mind and is good to get done anyway. Thanks for all the advice!

12. BradleyJ. Feb 18, 2019

Keep us in the loop. I'm interested if he can get the dial from Omega without swapping it.

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 18, 2019

Be careful.
    I would bet they would not be able to get the parts.

lando, Foo2rama and gdupree like this.
  14. brokenblinker Feb 18, 2019

They told me that I would get all original parts back (I made sure to ask specifically)....

The only difficulty is that I am buying the hands separately. So, if they cannot source the dial (which they keep ensuring me they can, but I also have doubts), I will only be out for the resale on the hands. As soon as the hands come in, I'll take the watch to drop it off.

15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 18, 2019

If they can source the dial why can’t they source the hands? Same restrictions from Omega

16. brokenblinker Feb 18, 2019

That's my fault - I want a custom handset and they said just supply it. I am getting black hour/minute/sweeping seconds, and white subdial hands.

I wasn't sure exactly what the reference numbers applied to get these specifics, so instead I'm just ordering them myself.

Skyblue44 and Foo2rama like this.
  17. Skyblue44 Feb 20, 2019

Good luck with the mod!

18. ac921ol Feb 20, 2019

$400 and a service. I’d make sure to have them get the dial first before servicing, and before you order the hands. (Even if it means paying the $400 now and get a refund. Force there hand in getting the dial ASAP)

surprised they wouldn’t just order the dial and sell for twice the price on eBay themselves.

Very sketchy to me.

Hands shouldn’t take long to get to you, dial will take the longest, and service when everything is together.

Foo2rama likes this.
  19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 20, 2019

100% agree you can’t just order those dials anymore.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 21, 2019

Hey Foo - in the last thread you said this, I responded that it isn't really the case - see this thread:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/gemini-iv-spare-parts.87266/

So rather than me just repeating what I've already said, when I read this thread again on Tuesday, I added a Mitsukoshi dial to an order I was already submitting to Omega. The shipment arrived today, and the dial was shipped to me without issues, and without me sending in another dial for a swap:

[​IMG]

So please can we now put this one to bed, and can you stop repeating that all LE parts are now exchange only?

Thanks, Al

PS - before anyone sends me a PM asking, this dial is not for sale - thank you.

Fusion, Longbow, George.A and 10 others like this.