Forums Latest Members

Death and Taxes According To eBay

1. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 25, 2019

2. Kjian414 Nov 25, 2019

This has been going on but lately it’s pretty much in effect for most states. Honestly a pain in the a** because now there’s a even bigger gap from what the seller is willing to take and what the buyer is willing to pay.

3. Lazy_Lightning Nov 26, 2019

I'd prefer buy from a forum, less hassle and there's a certain amount of "forum policing" that goes on relative to the accuracy of a listing.

4. mjb Nov 26, 2019

I just sold an old dashcam on eBay, and they were kind enough to charge the buyer sales tax and remit it (I presume) to the correct state, saving me all of that trouble.* Between the eBay fees, the PayPal fees and now the sales tax, the allure of eBay is fading quickly.

However, there is still no better platform for getting rid of crap that you no longer need. Craigslist is great for items that you can't ship, but otherwise, unless you like getting emails "will you take $4 for it" and having the buyers never show up, it's a waste of time.

I actually tossed the camera in the trash, so the $40-odd bucks that I got for it is just gravy.

-mjb

* - natch I would do all of this on my own to follow all state and federal laws :eek:

5. glownyc Nov 26, 2019

6. WhatYourWatchSay Nov 29, 2019

The second thread posted by glownyc was started by me and I have to say as a Canadian seller, I don't feel at all comfortable nor happy about ebay charging American buyers a use tax, (as @gatorcpa explained it) on the items they buy from me.

7. Evitzee Nov 29, 2019

Your beef is not with eBay, they are just collecting taxes and fees that sre deemed legal. No one is happy when a buyer has to pay these charges but you don't have much choice if you sell through eBay. States are desperate for revenue and they will go after it.

8. WhatYourWatchSay Nov 29, 2019

Thank you for your thoughts @Evitzee, they were immensely unhelpful.