Forums Latest Members
  1. eternalover Jan 3, 2021

[​IMG]
    Well most people seem more interested in Omega’s Modern tool watches, but here’s a review of the last 7 days or so with my latest addition that my wonderful wife got me for Christmas. 424.13.40.20.01.002
    The website picture doesn’t really do it justice. It was a genuine surprise as I knew Omega have none in the U.K. yet.
    1 Dial.
    A2B4C557-85A2-4A88-9B8F-D2EF908795BD.jpeg
    In the metal, the black sunray dial accentuates the reflections picked up on the hands an numerals. Admittedly at one or two angles legibility suffers slightly, but that is a very temporary. There is another version with honeycomb pattern which probably reduces the issue but I slightly prefer this finish. Having looked at many vintage watches, in the end I am not a huge fan of dial patina, and rarely does it favour black dials, many of which appear to my fairly inexperienced eye to have been renovated at least once, with varying success. The contrast between rhodium plated Roman numerals works for me. Usually I prefer alternate Arabic or Arabic quarters, but given this watch nods to past Omegas such as the classic 2367, I can accept them here.

99A6CA9D-B063-40E1-BA69-4C46CAE46A63.jpeg

Dial layout (leaving aside the contentious date window at 6) picks up strong references from vintage Omegas of the early mid twentieth century, now heavily increased with the recently introduced minute railway track. For some this makes it a pastiche, but for me it was one of the main attractions. It lends the overall design at 39.5mm a pleasing balance and in this steel version creates a restrained elegance (again a matter of taste) which in my view has eluded this wonderful brand for some time.
    The feuille hands are also new for this model and in my opinion are a more elegant shape for this iteration than the previous dauphine style, improving the overall aesthetic without complicating it. As to the date window, there were at least seamaster calendars with this in the sixties. The window itself is a little large but those of us with ageing eyes not wearing glasses all the time may see this without their glasses or my personal bugbear the hated cyclops lens. Dial colour is strong black under most light but slate like in bright light on some angles, and as mentioned contracts well with the hands and numerals.

Profile/ dimensions
    79088413-D9D0-4394-BB3A-231CE357C3D7.jpeg

Thickness looks to be a shade over 11mm and overall the watch delivers surprising presence aided by a narrow bezel, while maintains a dressy profile. I had also looked at ultramarine morse and iwc watches in this sort of style, but think the proportions here are excellent. Modern calibers do seem to be driving thickness upwards, and I can’t help suspecting that thicker larger watches with modular movements are easier to produce, reducing the need for thin movements. The strap is unobtrusive and given it is taking time to break in, I expect it to be quite robust as leather straps go.

Medallion
    It may seem cynical marketeering intended to create a brand line from little history, but the Chronos medallion is also a plus for me. Few may look at it in detail but at magnification it provides slightly quirky detail, an almost comic serious note.

Movement
    There is little to say about the now well proven movement. I have a slight concern that co axial escapement has substituted one problem (percussive impact) for another (sliding friction), but others are more expert than I, and in ten years time we will have a clearer picture of the lifetime and maintenance requirements of the 2500 c and d (or is it e? ) versions.

59C428E6-E9FC-4812-846C-68D92828184B.jpeg
    Style

It might be thought the dress watch is dead, along with the suit and tie, but this style never looks out of place in my view, and is a bit of a crossover look, not sporty but dress with slight aviator/military cues (the crown and overall profile). It will be interesting on a cuff when I finally put a suit on again.

Summary

This model line has had its ups and downs and some forgettable moments, but I think this latest version delivers improved aesthetic and a stronger design identity. Not all versions work for me. The blue dial and gold indices looks very smart on steel, but this one stands out to my eye.

For now I can only sign off by counting my lucky stars that my watch addiction is accepted by my lovely wife who went to the trouble of contacting Omega direct (who were very helpful on what is a modest purchase by their standards!) to get this sent from factory. Hope you all had as good a Christmas as is possible in these difficult times.

2. AntonisCy Jan 3, 2021

Great review. I think its a great dress watch.

eternalover likes this.
  3. DNX Jan 3, 2021

Congrats on a great watch, i have a black and silver dial modern deville prestige, except the outgoing model with the date window at 3 not 6 - both are on bracelets, and they are truly lovely watches and in comparison to my other Omega's and Rolex's, they are so under the radar in terms of appreciation within the community but I get more comments about the DeVilles than any Speedy, Sub or Seamaster I have.

Very very happy for you - its a great watch.

Alfista88 likes this.
  4. Alfista88 Jan 3, 2021

Congratulations on your new watch, and thank you for this review!

I wasn't aware the modern Deville Prestige's dial has these connections with mid-century ancestors, and I enjoyed learning about that from your post.

I had an older Deville Prestige from the 2000's, that also had the 2500 movement. It had a smaller case, less ornate crown, a plain caseback, and arabic hands. I really like what Omega's done with the latest iteration that you have!

5. eternalover Jan 3, 2021

Thanks both - you are both in the de ville owners club already!

6. TimeODanaos Jan 3, 2021

Beautiful watch, great review. And...
    You sure got that one right!
    Happy New Year!

eternalover likes this.
  7. gbesq Jan 3, 2021

My SO wears this De Ville Prestige. Beautiful watch and a very underrated line in Omega’s catalog IMO.
    upload_2021-1-3_19-56-52.jpeg

DNX and eternalover like this.
  8. trebor2 Jan 18, 2021

Looking at a De Ville Prestige myself but with power reserve and date at 3. Wonder if the date window will move to 6 position on all the Prestige range?

9. eternalover Jan 18, 2021

It looks like going that way as with seamaster.

I have the gold capped silk dial of that version as well, and I call it the alethiometer as with all the symbols it looks a bit alchemical/arcane. Bit crazy having two but the black is very different, and I don’t want speedie or seamaster.

10. trebor2 Jan 19, 2021

Yes, I’ve been wondering if I need the power reserve indicator. How have you found the tolerance, obviously chronometer so -4/+6?

11. eternalover Jan 19, 2021

Well as a saddo I did a time competition over 24 hours, but only once. All fully wound
    1960s eterna centenaire cal1428u
    2005 Omega seamaster 300m professional cal 1120
    2018 Raymond Weill maestro cal rw4200 sw 200 base
    2019 Omega De ville prestige cal 2627
    All dial facing up:
    Omegas both +-1 second!
    Eterna -10
    Raymond Weill -6

2020 omega and 1950s Omega 13322 cal266 not timed yet