Date Changes Earlier - SMP

Hi all, first post on this forum.

I purchased a brand new Omega Seamaster Professional Diver 300 (caliber 8800) and noticed that the date changes instantly 8 minutes before midnight. Is it normal given the watch is brand new and purchased from an omega boutique shop? Is it something that can be fixed in the next service or I should be worried about it?

It's fairly frustrating as I paid a lot of money for this watch but NY 1/8 Tissot is changing dates in a more accurate manner. Anyone?

I wouldn’t be too worried, date change tends to happen around midnight and many are off a bit, my hulk submariner was about 1am or so

Well within the specification. This is something I checked before I accepted the watch at my AD. My green Seamaster happens to change precisely at midnight as you can see from this picture I took on the occasion of the new year.
IMG_20230101_000001-r.jpg

To each their own I guess, but for me the date change is the least priority of my watches functions

To each their own I guess, but for me the date change is the least priority of my watches functions

It should work, no? Is it not better to know before taking the watch home if there are any problems? I knew my watch changed close (enough) to midnight and was well within spec. I didn't realize how close until I happened to catch it in that photo.

I don't know if 8 minutes is within Omega's specified tolerances or not, but people join OF daily to complain about quality control issues with new watches, and this is less serious than most. You can ask for it to be fixed when it is serviced, but if you have the work done by Swatch, they will just send it down the assembly line and you will get whatever they give you.

If it's really important to you, wait until the watch is out of warranty and then take it to an independent watchmaker who cares about your desires.

It’s normal, it changes usually 5-6 minutes on both of mine, it averages though. It’s their mechanism that kind of tells you to avoid setting the time and date between 8pm and midnight because of it, some watches are instant but this watch is something else.
Edited:

I don't know if 8 minutes is within Omega's specified tolerances or not, but people join OF daily to complain about quality control issues with new watches, and this is less serious than most. You can ask for it to be fixed when it is serviced, but if you have the work done by Swatch, they will just send it down the assembly line and you will get whatever they give you.

If it's really important to you, wait until the watch is out of warranty and then take it to an independent watchmaker who cares about your desires.
Happy it's less serious yet I expected a swiss watch of a reputable brand to have a better date change than my $1KAUD Tissot.

What other quality control issues are there can you send a link please?

FYI - it's the 2nd watch from Omega as the first one's bezel was out by so much (didn't align with the minute marks)...

What other quality control issues are there can you send a link please?

I wouldn't even know where to begin. It seems that virtually every new member who posts in the MODERN OMEGA WATCHES forum is complaining about some QC issue or another. It's a daily occurrence. Just browse through the forum for yourself. People seem to have overly high expectations of mass-produced watches IMO.

I wouldn't even know where to begin. It seems that virtually every new member who posts in the MODERN OMEGA WATCHES forum is complaining about some QC issue or another. It's a daily occurrence. Just browse through the forum for yourself. People seem to have overly high expectations of mass-produced watches IMO.
Would you have high expectation from Rolex Submariner? I mean it fairly expensive and I bought it also as part of the fact that Omega is Omega (Bond/ olympics,,,). Minimum is that they will invest more in the Omega movement than the Tissot

Would you have high expectation from Rolex Submariner? I mean it fairly expensive and I bought it also as part of the fact that Omega is Omega (Bond/ olympics,,,). Minimum is that they will invest more in the Omega movement than the Tissot

Nothing to do with the movement or the marketing. It's just the care taken during the assembly. Omega and Tissot are owned by the same company BTW. Your expectations are unwarranted IMO, it's not a high-end watch. Sorry, but that's my opinion. People complain about their Subs as well (also mass-produced), although Rolex does seem to have somewhat better QC.

Nothing to do with the movement or the marketing. It's just the care taken during the assembly. Omega and Tissot are owned by the same company BTW. Your expectations are unwarranted IMO, it's not a high-end watch. Sorry, but that's my opinion. People complain about their Subs as well (also mass-produced), although Rolex does seem to have somewhat better QC.
it's relatively high quality. Mass produced just mean more efficient yeah? Also, it's all relatively. For me, that's a lot of money.
Is land Rover not a goos brand cause it's mass produced?

Hi all, first post on this forum.

I purchased a brand new Omega Seamaster Professional Diver 300 (caliber 8800) and noticed that the date changes instantly 8 minutes before midnight. Is it normal given the watch is brand new and purchased from an omega boutique shop? Is it something that can be fixed in the next service or I should be worried about it?

It's fairly frustrating as I paid a lot of money for this watch but NY 1/8 Tissot is changing dates in a more accurate manner. Anyone?

Just my thoughts and advice:

1. Yes, can be fixed at service, but not worth servicing on its own right.
2. No, it's not something worth being worried about.
3. Expensive does not equate to a perfect mechanical device.
4. IMO, having this viewpoint is a road to ruin in watch collecting. Go grab a loupe and inspect your dial, and be further prepared to be disappointed. Best to adjust your expectations vs. reality.

Just my thoughts and advice:

1. Yes, can be fixed at service, but not worth servicing on its own right.
2. No, it's not something worth being worried about.
3. Expensive does not equate to a perfect mechanical device.
4. IMO, having this viewpoint is a road to ruin in watch collecting. Go grab a loupe and inspect your dial, and be further prepared to be disappointed. Best to adjust your expectations vs. reality.
could you please elaborate on points 3 & 4?

could you please elaborate on points 3 & 4?

Sure thing. It's a common theme on watch forums, many watch buyers assume that expensive mechanical watches are 100% perfect and without fault. And that simply is not the case.

Second, since that is not the case, and if you do not adjust your expectations accordingly, you will inevitably continue to be a frustrated collector. It's as simple as that. You got yourself a hell of a watch, I'd recommend not getting frustrated over a date change.

Sure thing. It's a common theme on watch forums, many watch buyers assume that expensive mechanical watches are 100% perfect and without fault. And that simply is not the case.

Second, since that is not the case, and if you do not adjust your expectations accordingly, you will inevitably continue to be a frustrated collector. It's as simple as that. You got yourself a hell of a watch, I'd recommend not getting frustrated over a date change.
Good point, thanks😀

It’s not ideal, but within the +-10 min tolerance.

You can either fight for a return, live with the minor inconvenience, or get it fixed. I would recommend action in that order.