Date Change problem

Hello and thank you for this forum,
I have a Speedmaster Automatic chronograph with date display, calibre 1164, I have had this watch for a for 10 years with little wear, but my problem was that I notice that the date didn't change at midnight which I thought it should. So I kept messing with that date change and now it changes the date at the 9pm time instead of the slow change process that it should do after midnight which I now know it should. The watch keeps perfect time and the only annoying thing is when the date change happens. If its an expensive adjustment I can live with it, but if I could turn back time I wouldn't of messed with it!
Does anyone know of steps I can take to reset this mistake or would I need to send it to Omega for the adjustment, fortunately the watch still works and the date does change albeit 3 hours early.
Thank you in advance for any help and advice.

Regards

Richard

It is probably a relatively simple adjustment for a watchmaker. However, the watch is due for a full service anyway.

Had a similair problem which is due to wrong hand placement while reassembling the watch , its a simple and cheap fix , a local trusty watchmaker can do it so dont worry .

Had a similair problem which is due to wrong hand placement while reassembling the watch , its a simple and cheap fix , a local trusty watchmaker can do it so dont worry .

Thank you for reply that's good to know. Thank You

Did is always change at midnight, and now it's changing at 9? If so, then this isn't from someone not putting the hands on correctly, and there's some chance you may damaged something.

But as noted, it's due for service anyway, so that should be your next step.

I believe that this watch has a slow date change which takes 2 or 3 hours after midnight, I assumed that it would happen at midnight and not some hours later. I only noticed this at new years eve expecting the date to change over which it didn't until about 3 am.

I believe that this watch has a slow date change which takes 2 or 3 hours after midnight, I assumed that it would happen at midnight and not some hours later. I only noticed this at new years eve expecting the date to change over which it didn't until about 3 am.

There are generally 3 types of date changes...

1 - Slow date change - this takes hours, and there is no sudden movement of the date, just a slow progression of the date through the window at a constant speed. This will end somewhere around 3 am, and this is not common in mechanical movements, but is more commonly found in quartz movements.

2 - Semi-instantaneous date change - the date will start to move approx. 30 minutes or so (varies by caliber) before midnight, and might get 1/3 or 1/2 way through the date window, before snapping over to the next date within a few minutes of midnight.

3 - Instantaneous - the date does not move until midnight, and then immediately snaps from one date to the next in a blink.

The Cal. 1164 has #2 above, not the slow date change described in #1.

So based on this last post, it was completing the date change at around 3 am, and now after you fiddling with it, it completes the change at 9 pm? If so, again this is not a hand installation issue, and there may be damage to the date mechanism.

Service is recommended.

Cheers, Al