Forums Latest Members

Dark Side vs. Apollo 8 Dark Side

1. Mahlerfan5 Aug 24, 2019

Hi guys, I’m new to posting here but been lurking for a while now, soaking up all the information and great discussions. I am looking at buying my first Omega soon, and I am really attracted to the ceramic Speedys... two in particular. I’ve tried both on in ADs.

Here’s what I think of each so far:

Dark Side of the Moon on deployant - really stealthy, perhaps more on the casual side because of the nylon coated strap, love the fact it has a date function.

Dark Side of the Moon Apollo 8 - tang buckle is fine with me but like the deployant better (I know you can order the deployant from Omega so not a huge issue really), the leather strap is a bit dressier than the strap on the original DSotM, the dial is mesmerizing, and I love the exhibition caseback, only gripe about this watch is it doesn’t have a date (which I use quite a bit). Also it may not be the most versatile for dressier situations like with a suit? You all may think differently.

If I had to just get one, what are your thoughts?

Drb477 likes this.
  2. cholack Aug 24, 2019

If cost is not a factor, the DOSM Apollo 8.

The dial is what sets it apart and it isn’t even a close race. If you need a date function, you have your phone to tell you.

A tang buckle is always more comfortable than a deployment, and comfort is IMHO luxury.

Dogmann likes this.
  3. rominvicta Aug 25, 2019

Check movements as well. Totally apart! Both have comparative advantages, and looks like no disadvantages to me. So buy what you like and care of nothing else.

Dogmann likes this.
  4. Fabien Aug 25, 2019

Apollo 8!

Dogmann likes this.
  5. stuart70 Aug 25, 2019

Apollo 8, stunning movement.

Dogmann likes this.
  6. stevec14 Aug 25, 2019

Apollo 8 and do what I did and get the OB to Chuck a dark side cordura strap in too!

I actually really like it on omega’s NATO’s as the bulk of the strap suits it IMO.

In this day and age of people wearing massive great black smart watches with suits, the Apollo looks just fine too.

On cordura with suit

C3AE3CAB-38F6-459C-96F4-B8C963E22AAD.jpeg

Nicherotors, Dogmann, MTROIS and 8 others like this.
  7. Buzz man Aug 25, 2019

Apollo 8 for me. Bought it 2 days ago whilst on holiday and the following morning got a call from OB back home that the 50 th awaits me.
    935DFE59-BAF7-4786-A96F-672A2677EBAA.jpeg

STANDY, Dogmann, befobe and 9 others like this.
  8. LeonDeBayonne Aug 25, 2019

Congrats! One of the most attractive modern Omega.

Dogmann, rominvicta and Buzz man like this.
  9. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Aug 25, 2019

I have the original DSOTM and I love it. Saw the Apollo 8 in the window of an OB recently and loved that as well (so, didn’t dare risk trying it on). You have to go with your gut feeling when you have each on the wrist.

A word about the DSOTM cordura strap. Before I got the watch, like some others, I thought the strap might cheapen the watch and planned to get a leather strap. But after wearing it for a while that feeling vanished. I love the cordura strap and think it’s perfect for the watch (they know what they’re doing in Omega design). The DSOTM has a highly polished dial and bezel, and the watch is the star of the show. For me it would be over the top to have a more fancy strap. So, I wouldn’t dream of changing the cordura now.

EDIT: thought I would add this gratuitous pic from last Friday
    2B18665C-32A3-483E-9EF9-3D13E71CB3A0.jpeg

Edited Aug 26, 2019
    NGO1, Fabien, kgb33 and 6 others like this.
  10. ama98 Aug 25, 2019

Apollo 8 for sure!

Dogmann likes this.
  11. gerrya Aug 25, 2019

Not sure if price is a consideration but you can get DSOTM from Grey in the $7500 range...

12. Gprotein Aug 26, 2019

Apollo 8 has a lower profile than DSOTM too, so it tucks inside your suit or dress shirt better.

Dogmann likes this.
  13. TJH Aug 26, 2019

Apollo 8...such an original design that really works.

Dogmann likes this.
  14. Baco Noir Aug 26, 2019

Apollo 8 as well. Very unique piece.

Dogmann likes this.
  15. cjb169 Aug 26, 2019

Apollo 8. Absolutely wonderful in person and wears very well.

Dogmann likes this.
  16. Mahlerfan5 Aug 31, 2019

Made my choice this week! Thanks all for the replies. Got my Apollo 8 in the mail direct from Omega this Wednesday and loving it since.

IMG_0671.JPG
    Dogmann, Omega-Q, TJH and 8 others like this.
  17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 31, 2019

Love my Apollo 8!

Dogmann likes this.
  18. Plein Aug 31, 2019

Surely apollo 8

Dogmann likes this.
  19. cjb169 Aug 31, 2019

Congrats!! Wear it in good health.

Dogmann and Mahlerfan5 like this.
  20. larryganz The cable guy Sep 2, 2019

I still like the current Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch and the DSOTM/GSOTM, which they haven't messed up yet. And I also own several Speedy Pro and a GSOTM.

But right now Omega has soured me on their current Planet Ocean (seem too busy with dotted lines on the bezel and too thick/heavy in SS - Ti is better but with poor color choices), as well as the current SMP 8800 (with that funky and huge Reeces peanut butter cup HEV). I prefer the older ones that I own. Losing the box around the date on the Aqua Terra killed it for me, as I preferred the older Skyfall AT, and it got worse losing the teak dial with vertical lines.

So, when asked a while back about what Omega was I going to buy next, I was like, "Well, I suspect nothing that they make now".

But then I started to appreciate the Apollo 8 as it was fresh and different, and a very cool sports watch. I'd probably consider one of them, once I have a Rolex Sea Dweller Deep Blue in hand, along with more funds. Usually a watch has to go to make room for another, and I'm just about out of watches I'd be willing to part with (at least ones that would bring in a good amount of money per watch).

Edited Sep 2, 2019