Forums Latest Members

Dark side of the Moon Apollo series

1. Luther Nov 27, 2022

Hello,
    new member here. Just sold my Breitling 1461 and was looking to buy my 4th Breitling , until I saw the Omega DSOTM Apollo and boy do I want one.
    As I know nothing about Omega started looking into the product, so can anybody tell me where the serial number is on the Apollo and is there a way of checking it . To my horror I'v seen fakes that look so good , so is there a way to check with just photographs ? Been a Breitling would have been more confident . Seen a few Apollo's on Chrono24 a bit under list but nervous on proceeding .
    Cheers

2. Evitzee Nov 27, 2022

SN is etched on back of one of the lugs, the matching number engraved on the movement. It is hard to fake this watch because of its construction. You should get the matching International Warranty 'red' card which also has the SN on it. Prices have held up well on this model. Introduced in 2018 for the 50th anniversary of Apollo 8, rumour has it that it is now discontinued.

Luther likes this.
  3. Luther Nov 28, 2022

Thank you

4. 7enderbender Nov 28, 2022

Fakes are a general problem today and anything that commands a high price or is collectible will be faked. You may end up with a fake item when buying new from a retailer. Recently saw some astonishing examples in the gun accessories world. It’s been an issue in the guitar world forever and some of the criminals behind this have now apparently highly skilled resources at their disposal so that identifying fakes can become a problem even for leading industry experts.
    Same with watches. It happens. A serial number or plastic card to go with the watch will not tell you much. To what degree something like this specific model is a common fake I have no idea. I’m sure they exist. Since you’ll have to buy pre-owned (unless you can find NOS somewhere) a site like Chrono24 is not a bad choice. Buy the buyer, not the watch as the say. If it looks legit on Chrono your purchase comes with a safety net. Buy it, have it checked by an Omega Boutique and if there was a reason for concern you can return it.

Maybe before making a decision read up on all things Speedmaster and the wide variety of models - including the current and previous “core” offerings based on the original designs.

5. BarbVl Nov 29, 2022

I seen that the modern Omega fakes are also fakes the cards . So my advice is to buy one with papers and cards and also check the cards carefully.

6. Luther Dec 1, 2022

Thank you.
    Went to local (90 mins away) boutique yesterday to check out Omega and Breitling and took photos of them for wrist memory . Got back and checked on line and one of the Breitling they were pushing on me was an old model , said no chance with a Dark side Apollo 8, but really liked the Omega Chronoscope Co-axial Master Chronometer so think that is the route I'm going to take

7. Luther Dec 1, 2022

Will take your advice, this all helps thanks

8. GadgetGuy88 Dec 1, 2022

There was a DSOTM Apollo 8 at the San Francisco boutique yesterday. I was very tempted, but it’s going to be quite some time before the watch has a used value approaching the retail price, even factoring in a free clasp and strap.