Forums Latest Members
  1. Dr.Sascha Mar 30, 2020

A little help needed. I'm trying to open up a 1958 Seamaster (2843) and I've always had trouble with snapback cases. This one is seems locked down tighter than C19 London (my current location). I've got a solid Grunn case knife, but having no luck at all. Any advice would be most appreciated!

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 30, 2020

A regular case knife will probably be unable to get into a fine seam gap.

Start with a safety razor blade and use it to go around the case seam a few times.
    SRB.jpg

Next, step up with a Gem razor blade, repeat the edging.

Then a fine blade, I use the pen blade on my Swiss Army knife, just ease it in all around where the previous blades have made a gap.

Follow that with a regular case knife, doing a few degrees at a time and keep going around until it pops off.

Don't be tempted to prise or twist to get it off, you could deform the caseback.

Good luck with it.

These are my usual helpers for snap backs.

CaseOpeners.JPG

Edited Mar 30, 2020
    Vitezi, DaveK, Larry S and 4 others like this.
  3. Dr.Sascha Mar 30, 2020

Super helpful, thank you. Is there another term for the second blade? When I search for Gem (in the UK), all I get is antique razor handles!

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 30, 2020

5. Dr.Sascha Mar 30, 2020

Yeah, the safety razor was no problem, it was the next one--found it. Given that I have ordered two razors and a knife in quick succession, my only worry is that the police will think I am hoarding sharps and break my door down (it is London, after all).

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 30, 2020

After the first razor blade. I use 10lb fishing braid and slide it in wrap around twice and move the braid around gently tugging ever centimetre saves using that many metal edges.
    Works more than not. :thumbsup:

Braid is great for springbars also

this guy uses dental floss

DaveK, Dr.Sascha and ZIELSZIEK like this.
  7. Dr.Sascha Mar 30, 2020

That's a great life-hack!

8. roman9662 Mar 30, 2020

The second blade is generally called a utility knife blade and comes in a variety of thicknesses depending on whether you're cutting cardboard or drywall, etc. The Stanley 1992 is a standard utility knife blade.
    All that being said, fishing lines or floss are a lot safer for both the watch and you.
    Be Well

9. Dr.Sascha Mar 30, 2020

It was an excuse to get a new Swiss Army knife. I ordered the fishing line as well, though, and will try to stick to that as much as possible. Thanks for the advice.