Forums Latest Members
  1. 2out2sea Mar 18, 2020

Hello, I hope everyone is doing well in spite of the hysteria. I purchased a 50th anniversary James Bond 300m. It was as new in the box with papers etc. All is well with the watch itself and the accessories. However, the cardboard shipping box was dropped hard in shipping. The corner of the packaging was damaged,. When I opened the box, the cardboard Omega shipping box was crunched in the corner. Unfortunately when I pulled the wooden collector case out, it too was damaged on the corner.

I am curious how much this devalued the collectibility of the watch in everyone's eyes? The seller and I have a ups claim, but it would be nice to have some info from other collectors and hobbyists as too what percent the entire package was devalued by the damage. Thanks.
    Brad

IMG_20200304_124059781.jpg
  2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 18, 2020

I don't think many here, myself included, would consider any of the LE Bond Seamasters to be collectible in the first place.

3. lindo Mar 18, 2020

The issue is whether the damage you describe decreases the resale value of the watch. In my view it does for recent models, as there are plenty of buyers who are obsessive about the condition of everything to do with their prospective purchase.

However the decreased value might not be much - perhaps someone on this forum who trades regularly could give an assessment.

4. Evitzee Mar 18, 2020

I'd put the hit at maybe $100-$200, based on what I would expect to pay for an imperfect case on a very new model. Look at most Omega boxes, they disintegrate over the years because of them using cheap, faux leather that delaminates. Perhaps they are better now with their use of wood and hopefully more stable inner linings.

5. 2out2sea Mar 19, 2020

We'll that's good to hear that the devalue is limited. I don't but watches to resell, but I try to buy watches that I both like and feel will have some long term collectibility. Hence, I bought the bond edition rather than a standard 300m. Based on other bond editions, they do seem to have better resell when comparing on Chrono 24, etc, fwiw. Thanks for the replies.

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 20, 2020

In 20 years it will be patina.:D

OMEGuy, Duracuir1, oinkitt and 3 others like this.
  7. Pappy Mar 21, 2020

Not cool.I believe he's looking for some advice partner.

elara2105, lindo and Duracuir1 like this.
  8. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 22, 2020

Welcome to the real world partner. WUS should suit you better.

9. Willbur Mar 22, 2020

If I was looking for a full set I will not buy yours even it's $200 cheaper.

So best solution will be to sell the watch and says that the damage box is a gift.. for the day you want to sell it of course...

10. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 22, 2020

I too would want the box changing. It does have an impact on value and more so on an LE. If you purchased it from a AD or boutique they could order you a replacement and ultimately it is their problem. If you bought it privately you have a bigger problem. You could try a claim on the shipping insurance but ultimately you need a new box and only Omega can supply that.

11. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Mar 22, 2020

This is not the real world, it’s a fun distraction. Don’t treat new members as if they are ten year olds. For all we know, Pappy could be a serving or retired special forces type, someone who has seen the real world. Maybe you are too. Bottom line, leaders treat others with respect unless there is a good reason not to. Welcome Pappy!

OMEGuy and lindo like this.
  12. Pappy Mar 22, 2020

Good one Mr Menace. You-1 Me-0... Until the next time mate. Y'all don't forget that the best watch is the one on your wrist.

13. Pappy Mar 22, 2020

I'm sure Mr Dennis is an ok fella.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  14. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 22, 2020

I'm not sure too many other members here would agree with you. :D

Pappy and Duracuir1 like this.
  15. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Mar 22, 2020

Haha! Dennis, what time should we expect you and Mrs. The Menace for dinner? Best regards!

16. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 22, 2020

The way things are going here, should be about 2022.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  17. Pappy Mar 22, 2020

Ha ha it's all good.