Forums Latest Members
  1. Rane Jul 23, 2016

Hello from Finland!
    Im new on these forums, and Im looking for a "better watch" for daily use.. Iv been watching for Tissot or Seiko. It should have saphire glass and metal brace, cause its gonna be on use everywhere and on my wrist all the time, exepts some party occasions where im gonna use some suit watch..
    My budget is like max 300-500€ for daily used watch.. Do you have some good suggests for me?
    Also it should be waterproof cause i do alot fishing, and it might get wet time to time..
    So should I get new watch from store, or buy used to get maybe a little better watch for that price range? And where do you guys buy watches for the best price? And is Tissot or Seiko best marks in this price range or what would you suggest instead?
    Looking for watch which would be with me for a long time, before changing to a better :) Oh and it should be quartz cause automatic watches can break easily if they get little hits? Thank you for replys! :)

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 23, 2016

A Certina DS or a Seiko would be your best bet.

A Seiko dive in automatic would be fine so no need to go Quartz

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 23, 2016

Victorinox make some very nice & rugged mechanical watches in your price range. I:thumbsup:

4. Canuck Jul 23, 2016

No such thing as waterPROOF! Water resistant only. A Seiko diver automatic winder would be my suggestion.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 23, 2016

If the seals are working a watch is actually water proof

waterproof
    ˈwɔːtəpruːf/
    adjective
    1. 1.
      impervious to water.
      "a waterproof hat"
      synonyms: watertight, water-repellent, water-resistant, weatherproof; More
    noun
    BRITISH

Willem023 likes this.
  6. Canuck Jul 23, 2016

WaterPROOF implies an absolute! That it is impossible that it could leak, and if it does, the water won't harm it! I call it irresponsible to call a watch waterPROOF! Noobies might actually believe it. Is there a modern watch manufacturer that uses the term waterPROOF? Go on believing it, and get back to us when you discover the painful truth!

7. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 23, 2016

A waterproof raincoat is only waterproof unless there's a rip in the fabric. Wouldn't the same apply to a watch; it's waterproof unless a seal dries or the crystal is cracked?

8. Canuck Jul 23, 2016

::facepalm1::

blufinz52 likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 23, 2016

10. Rane Jul 23, 2016

Ok, ok, no waterproof watch :D but close enough hehe.. just need watch which i could use on fishing and on beach with no worrys.. :) there is somekinda varanthy on new watch, incase it does break when getting water inside of it?
    Sooo Tissot is not good in my price range? and Standy suggested automatic from Seiko, but if ive understood right, automatics are more complex from inside and much more parts that can break/get loose if the clock gets some small hits? So is automatic for daily use watch a little risky? :D thanks for tips

11. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 23, 2016

12. Uniqez Jul 23, 2016

Here is your answer:
    Seiko skx007 "bulletProof" watch!

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

13. Canuck Jul 23, 2016

I'm not absolutely certain the warranty on a new waterRESISTANT watch would cover damage resulting from a leak. When the watch you buy fills up with salt water, send it back with the warranty, and let us know whether they cover you.;)

14. Rane Jul 24, 2016

Thanks again! Automatic watches r back in purchase list again :D seems like they should last hits as good as quartz then :) I like automatic better, but was worried if they break more easily.. And that Seiko is really good option in my price range tyvm!
    No salt water here in Finland ;) just lakes hehe..

15. Rane Jul 24, 2016

Oh but only one bad side on that Seiko, theres only mineral glass.. i would prefer sapphire :)

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 24, 2016

You can have a sapphire crystal put on an skx if you mess up the mineral glass.

17. Rane Jul 24, 2016

True that :D but it would be better if it would be there as original :)

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 24, 2016

19. Rane Jul 24, 2016

Oooh that would be really nice.. how much would be good buying price for that kinda seamaster omega? It goes a littlebit over my budget, but if I could get one for good price, I might be interested :) I dont want anything too expensive cause its coming in daily use including my work, allkinda activitys, fishing, car repairs etc. Its gonna be allover with me :) Im 26 years old and living very active life atm :D and still gathering my $ for better watches :) I am looking for vintage omega watch for suit watch also, but thats another chapter :)
    Got interested of watches just lately and been reading alot infos and studying watches :) Dunno why, but Omega was the one which i really got impressed and want to own some nice omega watches :)

20. ossfm Jul 24, 2016

The Orient Mako USA was my first automatic and I love it. The movement in the Mako and Ray was recently upgraded to include hacking and hand winding. They are now called the Mako II and the Ray II. I wish mine had that.The SKX doesn't have that.

I know you are in Finland, but Long Island Watch sells authentic new Orient watches (and others) for a good price.
    http://www.longislandwatch.com/

If you can find someone selling a Mako USA, it has the sapphire crystal, solid end links, improved lume and 120-click bezel upgrades included. Sadly it is only offered for sale direct from the factory in the USA.

There's this one; you can't beat that price with a stick! Zero bidders so far...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orient-Mako...801554?hash=item41aefeb212:g:7BgAAOSw6WdXiD7KPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network