Forums Latest Members
  1. jackrtid Dec 14, 2023

Evening all. I have just finished my first major restoration on this Omega Seamaster. The mechanics have all worked out and the watch is now running well (it was a complete non runner and destined for the skip, a total write-off).
    I have however had a major mishap on the dial. In an attempt to gently clean some specs of the dial (I KNOW IT WAS A BAD IDEA AND I AM PAYING THE CONSEQUENCES) I used a lightly damp cotton bud and immediately, immediately upon the water touching the dial, a brown material dissolved into the water and some sort of paint, or coating was severely ruined. In an attempt to make the dial more uniform, I decided to cut my losses and continue to remove the brown layer. This previously showed the patina of the lovely 50s dial.
    As you can see from the images, the watch still looks lovely and none of the markings/ applied indices were affected. I have also attached a photo of the watch before.
    My question is, is there anything I can reapply, or do, to bring back that darker tone to the central section of the dial? And I mean without a full dial restore, as this seems excessive at this point.
    I want to add, I have learnt my lesson that one should NEVER TOUCH THE DIAL.

Thanks in advance, Jack IMG_3518.jpeg IMG_3513.png IMG_0542.jpeg

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 14, 2023

Leave it alone. Still looks great.

3. TexOmega Dec 14, 2023

After violating Rule #1......Do not violate Rule #2 .....Know when to STOP.......

4. Walrus Dec 14, 2023

Ya title of your post made me think it would be a mess looks fine

Zman4eva, efauser and jackrtid like this.
  5. josiahg52 Dec 14, 2023

Looks fine. There's nothing else to do but let it patina again. Take care of it and somebody else will see it like it was for you.

jackrtid likes this.
  6. kaplan Dec 14, 2023

Quite a bizarre issue to be honest, is there a before photo?

Maybe what you dissolved was an artificial patina

7. Pastorbottle Dec 14, 2023

Seems like you just removed some filth, I’m sure it will get grotty again

jackrtid likes this.
  8. rob#1 Dec 15, 2023

Looks great, don’t stress :thumbsup:

jackrtid likes this.
  9. Eve Dec 15, 2023

Do you have the pictures before you did the cleaning?

10. jackrtid Dec 15, 2023

Thanks for the positive comments, I am beginning to accept it for what it is. Does anyone know if it was a factory lacquer i removed or what was it?

11. jackrtid Dec 15, 2023

The picture of the watch without a crown was before I started any restoration work

12. jackrtid Dec 15, 2023

It was strange, the water went brown as if something had dissolved in it, and the dial is now lighter than before

13. Pastorbottle Dec 15, 2023

That would’ve been soluble filth

wagudc and McKnife like this.
  14. ExpiredWatchdog Dec 16, 2023

Remove the crystal and...

Take up smoking.

J!m, wagudc, Duracuir1 and 3 others like this.
  15. tikkathree Dec 16, 2023

So I dipped the tip of my finger in it and had just a teensy tiny taste::bleh::: that might have been when the dizzy spells started...:taunt:::puke::::puke::
    Patinate? Depatinate? It's your watch but it looks fine now.

16. thelinendial Dec 17, 2023

I like cleaner dials so after looks better to me. As a 3rd party I can barely tell the difference.

Zman4eva and jackrtid like this.
  17. jackrtid Dec 17, 2023

Actually a good idea..

18. ansoa-66 Dec 21, 2023

From someone who already done big mistakes on dials.
    My impression is that some dials are impossible to clean. It seems that they have been in contact with humidity in the past and when you try to clean it, the decals come right away. Some identical dials, you can do whatever and they look great.

The one you have, I see what you are saying but I don't see any big issue. I would leabe it as is.
    A part from that, you will find many ideas on how to age a dial or how to fix the situtation. Mainly with coffee and heat. But I would strongly advise you not to touch it and to try first on a scrap dial.
    And I also have good news, the photo leads me to believe that the dial can be cleaned. If you see, you cleaned the end of the word "seamaster" and nothing came out. But from that point on is a question of luck, you may be able to clean the first half and be successful of ruin the dial.
    As I say previously, if I were you, I wouldn't touch it without any further experience.

19. blubarb Dec 21, 2023

I just think you removed a layer of grime. Looks good to me. I am sure a blind man would be happy to see it. :D
    Btw, if you must use a bit of water use ONLY distilled water as you could just be washing around ugly staining water minerals. Possibly that?

Zman4eva likes this.
  20. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Dec 22, 2023

Looks good. One thing that can be changed is the misspelled/misspelt title for this thread. IMG_7805.jpeg

blubarb, sheepdoll and DaveK like this.