Forums Latest Members
  1. JeffGyro Aug 12, 2019

Appreciate the inputs fellas. Thanks. (Even to the guy that thought it had a battery.) LOL

I think every so often it should be wound up real tight. Sorta like blowing out the carbon in your car engine.
    Note, she ran 39.5 hours and keeping accurate time.
    It wasn't operating very well prior to the service so I'm going to declare her in perfect working order.

Edited Aug 12, 2019
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 12, 2019

Well your not planning on it being around and working for awhile so sure that’s ok. Unless you are....

The time a watch takes to run out of power has zero to do with the health of the watch. It just means nothings binding and the mainspring is not broken.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 12, 2019

Not an engine and no carbon deposits...no need to wind it up “real tight”...

4. JeffGyro Aug 12, 2019

I did some research on this Bangkok watchmaker.
    Review:
    "Did you watch the guy clean and rebuild your watch? It is better than watching in the olympics...
    Especially when he unwinds the mainspring. Every piece of that watch was taken apart..every piece ..every screw...(without any magnification.) and dumped on a piece of white paper and poured into the ultrasonic machine. I've watched him a dozen times..more, as I would take watches in just for the show.
    He examines EVERY piece after the ultrasonic cleaning and if it isn't perfect, he would talk to me and ask whether to replace it or not.. if it was a nice watch like yours he wouldn't even ask.. and he would know exactly where to go in his hundreds of drawers for the part. Did you notice the half dozen different lubricants?
    He can put a watch like yours together in 15 min or less... and chat with you at the same time.

A true master watchmaker...and he treated me very well, especially after I gave his kid english lessons.
    He is a lot more expensive than when I had him servicing my watches but I sold at least 20 of them on eBay ...real old swiss watches,,not fakes and have never had anyone say anything but positive stuff."

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 12, 2019

So in 10 minutes he dissembled your watch. Checked every part for wear, ran a full ultrasonic cleaning cycle then put it together in 15 minutes?

Right....

KingCrouchy and Archer like this.
  6. Speedmasterfan88 Aug 13, 2019

When I start up my 1959 MGA after it sat for a month or two I make sure to rev the engine real tight...

Please don’t take our jokes here too serious, and I do believe that there maybe are guys out there who can disassemble a mechanical watch in 45 minutes.

But check, ultrasonic clean and replace/ lubricate and reassemble in the same time frame? Not so much.
    You are getting advice here from some of the top guys when it comes to servicing vintage Omegas.
    You might want to sit back a minute and think about it.

Enjoy your watch, while it lasts.

JeffGyro likes this.
  7. snarkq Aug 13, 2019

I think you guys are being pretty harsh here. He's a new guy to the forum with a really special timepiece... how about give him some pointers on where to go and what to expect to spend. :whistling:

8. JeffGyro Aug 13, 2019

I was just having some fun with my new friends on the Omega forum.
    Crank it up and blow out the carbon. Lol.
    Might be a good idea for that MG though. I had an MG. Did I mention, my mechanic rebuilt the carbs in 25 minutes.Lol.

Happy with the watch as it is right now.
    If it works don’t fix it, Dad used to say.

Edited Aug 14, 2019
    snarkq likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 14, 2019

So you don’t do oil changes on your car?

10. JeffGyro Aug 14, 2019

I took my car in for oil service but then some guys on the Internet said I did it all wrong.::stirthepot::

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 14, 2019

We are trying to help you, but if you don't want to listen, I for one will stop trying to help you...

Foo2rama and DaveK like this.
  12. Syzygy Aug 14, 2019

@JeffGyro, your watch has caught the attention of a few of the most knowledgeable people on this forum. Maybe your sense of humor is lost in text? You might do well to say 'Thank You!', and would do even better by heeding their advice, at least for the watches' sake...

Just sayin'...

13. JeffGyro Aug 14, 2019

I thanked the boys and conveyed my appreciation earlier in the convo.. You might do well to heed my advice and read the thread.
    Just sayin.

I really do appreciate the knowledgable inputs. Just thought I'd stir the pot a bit after the pertinent info was conveyed.

After my local research, I took it to the best place I know (besides the factory).
    I live in Bangkok. Allot of shops would see my face and likely go in there and purposely damage something to sell me some parts that have handy or switch out the valuable stuff.

The watch runs fine. I don't wear it around Bangkok where I stay. It's back in the dry box for some nephew I hardly know to inherit someday.

Edited Aug 14, 2019