Forums Latest Members

Dad gave me his Speedmaster. Trying to identify it.

1. Globalcop Apr 24, 2015

Hi,
    First post.
    My dad was a "Mad Men" ad guy in Chicago in the 60s - 70s (we even had the same wall paper the Drapers have in their kitchen). During the Apollo period he was in marketing for Rockwell International and had a couple encounters with the Apollo 11 flight crew. Sadly, he was also a complete drunk like Don Draper et. al. (not anymore, thankfully, he snowboards in his 70s), so when I press him for details on that time period he comes up blank.

I'm not complaining though; he gave me this watch with no story behind it. Although he's pretty sure he just bought it in a store and it has no relevance to the Apollo program other than he was probably inspired to buy it at the time like other owners back then.

I'm hoping you can help me identify it. I've done some preliminary research:

-The dot is above the 90
    -Accent over the E
    -Dot lower right of 70

I spoke to a customer service rep at Swatch Group US in California regarding sending it in for complete maintenance. I was about to pack it up and ship it to them when I thought it'd be a good idea to get some macro photos for the before and after. Then I thought I'd post them here and learn more before I send it off.

Seeing it up close in these photos makes me think I'll hear back from the repair center with word that it'll take more than just a "complete maintenance" to clean this thing up. Do you agree? or is this just on the far end of the spectrum of "dirty?"

Here is a link to the full resolution PNG files on Flickr for closer inspection. I did a stacked focus macro to get all the gritty, grungy, scratched details as clear as can be. They aren't glamour shots, I'll wait until the "after" pics for that.

Looking forward to any expertise the group has to offer.

Thanks!
    Ed McNamara
    40 years in Chicago now in Manhattan, Kansas

Omega_Speedmaster_Macro_Back.jpg Omega_Speedmaster_Macro_Front.jpg
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 24, 2015

Watch looks like a 145.022-69 with the pre-special '69 caseback, has a correct original DON bezel too which is nice, and all looks original except for the bracelet. Swatch isn't a good idea for servicing, if you're in the US, Nesbits would do a better job particularly at preserving its originality.

Make sure the bezel, dial and hands aren't replaced, have the seals and crystal replaced for sure and have it cleaned but not polished as you want to keep the sharp case edges.

blubarb and Giff2577 like this.
  3. Davidt Apr 24, 2015

I'm thinking that's a 145.022-69. Pre moon case back with the newly introduced 861 movement and printed dial, but using up the last of the DoN bezels.

I like this reference.

Get a full mivement service along with a new crystal, pushers and crown and a good clean of the case. Don't replace anything else and resist the urge to polish it. It might be rust on the bezel but often its just grime.

That'll look smashing when it's done!

Giff2577 likes this.
  4. Georgieboy58 Apr 24, 2015

The bezel is just dirty and will come out perfect. New crystal and a service will give you a very desirable watch.

5. Steve1haggart Apr 24, 2015

I would have the movement overhaul if it's not been serviced in years,if the scratches on the glass can be polished out then I'd have that done before having it replaced . Do not get the case polished or have the hand replaced this will have a severe impact on desirability if you decide to sell.

6. KIMBER Apr 24, 2015

I would have a full service and new pushers and crown. The cracked crystal needs replacing too.

7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 24, 2015

I absolutely can see this is going to turn out beautifully with a service.
    I would specify case clean, not refinish.
    Full service by an Omega approved technician.
    I don't know the states but consider sending to Archer.

8. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 24, 2015

Yep! Thats going to look like a beauty!!

DIBS!!

I can't believe it -Im first with the dibs :eek:

oddboy likes this.
  9. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 24, 2015

Oh and welcome to the forum - First time poster, nice into and an avatar...

ARE YOU LISTENING PEOPLE!! :)

styggpyggeno1, tpatta and Frunkinator like this.
  10. devnull Apr 24, 2015

My vote goes for keeping the crystal. It can always be replaced later, it will never again have the same character that your dad put in there. Same goes for cleaning but not polishing. The watch has been in your family from day one so battle scars are a plus not a minus. If your intent is to sell it, then by all means replace the glass and have it polished. While there are those who would prefer an unpolished case, I think (therefore I could be wrong) that a polishing would attract more buyers.

11. driver1969 Apr 24, 2015

First of all that is a beautiful family heirloom so I hope you get to enjoy it for many years to come. Second, like anything antique or vintage, it needs respectful handling to retain its value. Like others have said, you probably want to keep hands and dial intact. I wouldn't recommend refinishing the case either. That watch has character and a rich history enjoy.

12. Globalcop Apr 29, 2015

Thanks for all the thoughtful advice. I'm glad I joined the group and asked, it has changed my mind on how to proceed. I'll keep you informed.

Oh, newb question: What's DoN in regards to the bezel?

styggpyggeno1 likes this.
  13. flyingout Apr 29, 2015

14. richardew Apr 29, 2015

Where are you located? There are good Omega technicians available in the states. I've got one in Phila. Driving to the shop always beats UPS or FEDEX.

15. marturx Apr 29, 2015

If you had followed through with your first plan, sending it to Omega for "restoration", they would have destroyed it for you. It will cost you at least 1kUSD, and the value of the watch would have been cut in half

By all means, keep that watch as far away from Omega as you can!

It's a lovely vintage Speedy you have there. Don't ruin it!

blubarb likes this.
  16. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Apr 29, 2015

This is two genuine watches in a row that is all nice, genuine and correct. Things are looking up, a lovely speedmaster with no fake uncles in sight. The content on this forum is on the up again with these types of posts from new members.
    Welcome to the forum Globalcop you have something nice right there.

17. Globalcop Apr 29, 2015

I just got back from a short bike ride to the only watch guy in town only to find that Google maps is out of date, he's gone. I'm in Manhattan, KS, (pop. 60,000) so I'm guessing I'll have to ship it off. I just started looking through the forum for repair shop recommendations.

Regarding Omegawatches.com, I feel like I dodged a bullet - a solid gold bullet I would have been charged $ for! Seems like that is the first test of speedy owner sophistication; one's reaction to Omega's Complete Maintenance marketing video. As an uber-newb-speedy-inheritor a month ago I watched it in awe. Now it is a horror show; all that "Mad Men" era character being polished away. My dad's memories may have been wiped clean by 5-martini lunches over steak tartar and Marlboro's but each scratch tells its own story.

Worth noting, my dad wondered if I didn't have anything better to spend my money on than getting the speedy serviced when I asked him about it recently (he "gave" it to me 35 years ago when he split Chicago for Boulder). That gave me pause, but when my Pebble watch went missing I knew it was time to strap something on my 48-year-old wrist other than a gadget. So it'll be my self-present when I hit 49 May 15.

And as thankful as I am for the advice, it's also terrific to find grown-ups on the internet. As far back as my BBS dial-up days, through Prodigy, right up to my threads on AR15.com, something tells me this community will rank at the top when it comes to cyber-civility.

My next stop is the Apollo patch forums. It looks like there is plenty of macro-photography there as well. Secret details hidden in the embroidered threads that reveal authenticity, etc.

blubarb, toddmp, TLIGuy and 2 others like this.
  18. Sherbie Apr 29, 2015

My first stop would be speedmaster101.com, written by a valued member here on this forum

blubarb likes this.
  19. Globalcop Oct 1, 2015

5 months later and I still haven't sent it in. All I need is a good recommendation; there is absolutely nothing around me here in the wheat fields of Kansas. I'm definitely going the route of having it cleaned up enough to keep it running while maintaining the wear that tells its story. So I'm not sending it to Omega for a full reboot. Any recommendations on who I should mail it too?

Thanks, I promise to follow up with pics when I get it back.

20. LawBrk Oct 1, 2015

PM'd