D-Day

These are the medals and photograph of William Buttery Parkin, Royal Marines Commando MNBDO. MNBDO would evolve into the very first commandos and participate as a Combined Operations operative during D-Day June 6, 1944. His mission would be to do clearance, beach landings, establish an advanced port for naval ships. He was also with the Siege Regiment that fired artillery capable of hitting targets across the English Channel into France Pas de Calais. H.M.S. Robertson is what is termed a "Stone Frigate". It was not an actual ship. It was a training center for the Combined Operations landing crafts.

https://www.forces.net/heritage/wwii/when-royal-marines-went-commando

https://combinedops.com/Training EST UK.htm

upload_2024-6-6_13-0-10.png

qL9XTmz.jpg

https://royalmarinesheritagetrails.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/RM-Siege-Regiment-1940-44.pdf

upload_2024-6-6_12-47-40.png
Edited:

Like 17
Group 11 RAF Squadron 310, 312 also participated in D-Day although they are more well known for the defense of Battle of Britain. Major Haselrigg reports on activities preparing for France D-Day. Czechoslovakia medals and wings are London made versions awarded to soldiers fighting abroad/ exile in the RAF and British Army.

t2L9KyV.jpg

caa787bc-df84-466d-b231-b19115c8a1b7.jpeg.

The Battle of Britain RAF Czech pilots names from squadron 310,311,312,313, and others.
Edited:

Like 14
We need a "Respect" button.

"The Greatest Generation"...... indeed.

Like 9
I am reverential about D-Day and always appreciate remembrance of same.

Thank you for posting.

Like 8
It's one of those events that changed the future of the world, an event that was easily seen as good vs. evil. Fortunately the good guys prevailed. Unfortunately, I suspect if you asked most young people today what D-Day was you would be met with a blank stare, their knowledge of WWII is pretty thin.

Like 3
Yes, and if you really want a blank stare ask them what was VE-Day
Edited:

Like 2
Armistice Day? Don't even go there. Few remember.

flanders-fields-poem-photo.jpg

Like 9
Americans almost 100% do not know why British wear red paper poppies.
In Westminister Abbey, I found children standing ontop of the "Unknown Warrior" (roll eyes)

Like 2
Seiji; I have to confess that our then 9 year old son idly stood on the brass plaque at the spot where Nelson fell on the deck of HMS Victory while our tour guide was relating ship's lore. He received a well deserved sharp reprimand and I was a mortified inattentive dad.
Edited:

Like 3
Well, that might be a tad more forgivable. Our tour guide told us over and over that even royalty must walk around the Unknown Warrior's grave marker in the Abbey. Two minutes later a couple of smart ass boys are posing on top of it...

Like 2
As a kid, I was fascinated by these heroes defeating the evil nazis in those war movies. Then, I started seeing the real footage on ‘The World at War’ on tv, I realized it wasn’t just heroes in a movie.

As I grew older and started to understand what happened and why, I became overwhelmed with gratitude for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Overwhelmed by the sheer determination, ingenuity and will to defeat evil.

Finding words to describe my deepest feelings is impossible so much the effort deployed by all those involved to achieve the victory that shaped our lives today, was beyond gigantic. My wife and I walked the beaches of Normandy and visited the various cemeteries back in 2018. We were weak in the knees with emotion. We still are. We will never forget.

IMG_0266.jpeg
Commes near Port-en-Bessin

IMG_0268.jpeg
A pause at Juno beach to toast the Canadian forces that landed there.

Like 11
Here in Oz there has been a resurgence of interest in Anzac Day and Armistice Day, in the week leading up to either day there will be a veteran selling badges and poppies outside every supermarket.
The Anzac Day march and Dawn Service are well attended by the public to show their appreciation of the service of the veterans.
Any many both young and old make a pilgrimage to the memorials in the historic WW1 battlefields of Gallipoli in Turkey and Villiers-Bretoneux in France and others do the arduous climb trough the WW2 battlefields of the Kakoda Trail in Papua New Guinea.

Like 6
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m001zg8f/dday-the-unheard-tapes

Watched this, this week and can't praise it highly enough.
Being the son of wartime RAF and WAAF parents I've always been aware of the importance of D-Day but this series really made it smack home.

I first read about Major John Howard and the airborne assault back in the 60's in Victor for boys annual so was well aware who they were.

I didn't realise though, how near the glider pilots landed their craft to Pegasus Bridge.

I can't really put into the proper words what an amazing feat D-Day was, from the planning and engineering to the courage and sacrifice on that fateful day.

In the epic film "The longest day" Rod Steigers character got it bang on when he mentioned history being made.

Like 3
As a kid, I was fascinated by these heroes defeating the evil nazis in those war movies. Then, I started seeing the real footage on ‘The World at War’ on tv, I realized it wasn’t just heroes in a movie.

As I grew older and started to understand what happened and why, I became overwhelmed with gratitude for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Overwhelmed by the sheer determination, ingenuity and will to defeat evil.

Finding words to describe my deepest feelings is impossible so much the effort deployed by all those involved to achieve the victory that shaped our lives today, was beyond gigantic. My wife and I walked the beaches of Normandy and visited the various cemeteries back in 2018. We were weak in the knees with emotion. We still are. We will never forget.

IMG_0266.jpeg
Commes near Port-en-Bessin

IMG_0268.jpeg
A pause at Juno beach to toast the Canadian forces that landed there.
My dad's cousin got killed on the 11th of June with the Black Watch and is buried at Ranville Cemetery.

Like 1
Thanks for sharing Seiji.

As a teenager, 30years ago, I had the chance to visit the Caen memorial and « interviewed » a resistant/survival of those days. I’ll never forget this moment and I am grateful to have met him. This was the time I faced this really happened… especially as those times / stories were never really told by my own grandparents.

For what it worths my 7 years old boy has been very impressed by the memorial activities in its class… and has asked many questions for the last year about the 2nd world war.

Unfortunately the human history repeat itself far too often…

Like 5
The Great War and WW2 were a time and generations that should never be forgotten. I wonder myself if I had been born of that era, would I have been forced to serve, or would I have volunteered? Would I have been ignorant of the realities I would face and just be proud of the new uniform or would I have pissed my pants the night before my mission knowing the low percentages of survival and the pressure from all the peers in similar situation? 80 years later, I can only see the monuments and films of their actions, but I will forever be thankful for the society they created. Every chance I get, I will look for their names and clean their plaques.

Like 3
The Great War and WW2 were a time and generations that should never be forgotten. I wonder myself if I had been born of that era, would I have been forced to serve, or would I have volunteered? Would I have been ignorant of the realities I would face and just be proud of the new uniform or would I have pissed my pants the night before my mission knowing the low percentages of survival and the pressure from all the peers in similar situation? 80 years later, I can only see the monuments and films of their actions, but I will forever be thankful for the society they created. Every chance I get, I will look for their names and clean their plaques.
My dad was in a reserved occupation during the war but when he saw a propaganda poster like thisScreenshot_20240607_141934_Chrome.jpg
stating men in reserved occupations could volunteer for either RAF aircrew or submarine crews, he didn't hesitate.
He always said it was nothing to do with patriotism, he just didn't want to work on the farm anymore.

Like 1
My dad was in a reserved occupation during the war but when he saw a propaganda poster like thisScreenshot_20240607_141934_Chrome.jpg
stating men in reserved occupations could volunteer for either RAF aircrew or submarine crews, he didn't hesitate.
He always said it was nothing to do with patriotism, he just didn't want to work on the farm anymore.

I am sure he wasn't the only one, but at least he was never declared the equivalent of US Selective Services "4-F" , that would not have been too great :)

And it seems he was smart enought to have survived.
Edited:

Like 1
I am sure he wasn't the only one, but at least he was never declared the equivalent of US Selective Services "4-F" , that would not have been too great :)

And it seems he was smart enought to have survived.
It was more luck and timing, ie it was late on in the war.
There were still aircrew getting killed though.