Forums Latest Members

SOLD 1970 Rolex 5513 USN EOD Provenance

1. RCAFBuster Sep 17, 2021

A unique opportunity to own a wonderfully complete, fully attributable, piece of USN EOD Clearance Diver history.

The grouping consists of:

Model: Rolex 5513 Submariner

Movement: 1520

Serial Number: 2693348 (II: 70)

Caseback Markings: Lonnie Black

Dial: Black

Bezel: Black

Hands: Mercedes

Band: Olongapo, named Black, K.G. Clearance Diver and EOD Crests. Original 9315/ 555 Oyster bracelet

-1970 Rolex 5513 Submariner on Olongapo Band with USN EOD Emblems. Both the Watch caseback and Olongapo band are Named,

-Matching numbered Outer and Inner box with 9315/ 555 folding clasp band, plus booklet,

-4 Page Letter of Provenance from the Son, detailing his Father’s service, when he purchased the Rolex, Career highlights, USS Forrestal Bravery,

Following this combat deployment, we were posted to RAF Machrihanish, Scotland, from 1968-1970. While the base’s history is shrouded in secrecy, RAF Machrihanish was a strategically important NATO airfield, with its location giving immediate access to patrol and support naval operations over the North Atlantic. It is known that Royal Marines and SAS used it for training, and the USN maintained a SEAL commando unit, known as Naval Special Warfare Detachment 1. Dad may have been instructing the art of explosives ordinance disposal to many of the team members. It was here that Dad purchased his Rolex (Duty Free and Pay Allotment), which he wore daily on the EOD Clearance Diver Olongapo band until his passing. He also engraved his personal details on the reverse.

-Numerous Photos, Obituary, grave marker,

-Research folder, Navy Commendations, Ribbons, Badges, Patch,

-Collection of 5 x ‘Cruise Books’ and 5 x Commemorative Service Plaques,

-Time Life magazine highlighting the USS Forrestal Inferno at Sea, with mention of this brave USN sailor.

On 29 July 1967, the aircraft carrier USS Forrestal (CVA-59) was engaged in combat operations in the Gulf of Tonkin, during the Vietnam War. Lieutenant Commander (future US Senator) John McCain, was stationed onboard along with my Father.

About 10:50 local, an electrical anomaly caused the discharge of an F-4’s Zuni rocket on the flight deck, striking a wing-mounted external fuel tank on an A-4E Skyhawk awaiting launch, triggering a chain-reaction of explosions. Nine bomb explosions eventually occurred on the flight deck, several of which were estimated up to 50% more powerful than a standard 1000 lb. bomb. Though serious in itself, the initial fire was not catastrophic.

However, only ninety seconds after the fire started a 750-pound M 117 bomb loaded with Composition B detonated, killing or seriously wounding most of the fire fighters. The detonation ruptured the flight deck causing burning jet fuel to drain into the interior of the ship, including the living quarters directly underneath the flight deck, and the below-decks aircraft hangar.

My Father volunteered to be lowered by line through the hole to defuse a live 500 lb. bomb that dropped through the hole to level 03, even though the compartment was still on fire and full of smoke. Dad successfully defused the bomb and then helped to jettison the bomb overboard. Along with Lt (j.g.) Cates (Ordinance Disposal Officer), he then proceeded to find further explosives, ordinance and missiles on aircraft, throwing them overboard.

This disaster resulted in 134 deaths, 161 injured, 21 aircraft destroyed, and 39 aircraft damaged, all documented in Life Magazine, 11 August 1967, pages 20-28.

USD$ 25,000 plus 2 x Courier. Due to the size and weight of the Cruise Books and Plaques, these will be Couriered separately to the Rolex and Box. Wire Transfer preferred. DM or [email protected]

Returns only if not as described or pictured. I do NOT guarantee water proofing of this superb vintage timepiece.

Cheers,

Buster

20200201_102457.jpg InkedRolex 5513 USN 1970 Black (4) - Copy_LI.jpg Rolex 5513 USN 1970 Black (1).jpg Rolex 5513 USN 1970 Black (2).jpg Rolex 5513 USN 1970 Black (3).jpg USN Rolex 5513 Lonnie Black (1).jpg USN Rolex 5513 Lonnie Black (2).jpg USN Rolex 5513 Lonnie Black (4).jpg USN Rolex 5513 Lonnie Black (5).jpg USN Rolex 5513 Lonnie Black (6).jpg USN Rolex 5513 Lonnie Black (7).jpg forrestal deck hole 2.jpg Lonnie Black memorabilia (9).jpg Lonnie Black memorabilia (2).jpg Lonnie Black memorabilia (3).jpg Lonnie Black memorabilia (4).jpg Lonnie Black memorabilia (5).jpg Lonnie Black memorabilia (6).jpg Lonnie Black memorabilia (7).jpg Lonnie Black memorabilia (8).jpg Lonnie Black memorabilia (10).jpg Lonnie Black memorabilia (11).jpg Lonnie Black memorabilia (12).jpg Lonnie Black memorabilia (13).jpg Lonnie Black memorabilia (14).jpg Lonnie Black memorabilia (15).jpg Lonnie Black memorabilia (16).jpg

wx_073, Risto, queriver and 34 others like this.
  2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 17, 2021

Amazing!

I could never sell this watch…. But things are what they are and someone will enjoy it.

great piece and history.

glws

Robert M, Zdzislaw, Bille and 2 others like this.
  3. agee Sep 20, 2021

Awesome seller
    Fabulous provenance
    Lovely watch and history
    How did the family part with it?
    If I were to own 1 watch this would be the one
    Wish I could afford it
    Good luck with the sale

RCAFBuster likes this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 20, 2021

I could never sell this either but, were I a buyer, I’d be satisfied with a folio of pictures of these plaques, books, medals and a letter of provenance. Why part with your dad’s stuff?

river rat, Darlinboy and Nobel Prize like this.
  5. omegastar Sep 21, 2021

That’s a 93150 band from the 80´s, not a 9315…

ckhaing and Dan S like this.
  6. RCAFBuster Sep 21, 2021

The son was just not interested in it. I missed the Diving Helmet, which rapidly sold first.
    Cheers,
    Buster

7. cvalue13 Oct 19, 2021

One can never know what sort of father a man might be, no matter how cool his watches were.

PS: I assume this sale went through and the posting title could use update?

8. RCAFBuster Oct 20, 2021

Thanks for your prompt, I hadn't been on for awhile. Updated and Sold.

Cheers,

Buster

cvalue13 likes this.