Forums Latest Members
  1. Pizarro Sep 14, 2019

Greetings,
    I am new to the world of watches, but not to the world of collecting. I have been collecting antique military arms for several years but have recently become interested in watches. I have been doing some research and read about some watches issued to the RAF during the Second World War. After looking through past posts on here related to them, and have learned a lot. I like the Omega 2292 and other war time issue ones the most. But the few I have seen on E-bay seem to be over priced or are not in a correct state. Does anyone have advice when it comes to finding or buying one? What to look for? Anything I should know?
    Thanks.

Dms5150 and chronos like this.
  2. Dan S Sep 14, 2019

Be patient and look everywhere. When you find a good one, be ready to buy it immediately. Once you have 200 posts on this forum, you can place a want-to-buy ad, although in all honesty you have already done so.

3. Pizarro Sep 14, 2019

Thanks. I forgot to ask, what is a ballpark price for a nice example? I know it is hard to say without pictures, but what would be fair?

4. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Sep 14, 2019

Look very closely to the lengths of the lugs. They have fixed bars. Some got decommissioned by cutting off/shortening the lugs of that alloy middle case. That alloy middle is prone to fatigue. All the rest is no problem. Kind regards. Achim

Dms5150 and Mark020 like this.
  5. Pizarro Sep 14, 2019

Thanks for the info watchyouwant.

Does anyone have experience with the company ulricofengland? They seem like a reputable dealer from what I could tell.
    Thanks,
    Sam

6. Dms5150 Nov 8, 2019

Bumping this thread. Thats a great note above about the lugs being fixed.

I'm looking to pick up an RAF 2292 also, is there anything to look out for regarding correct engravings on the caseback? Should they look machined? Also have seen some with an arrow above the 6b/159 what is the significance of the arrow?

These are beautiful pieces but it seems like there's a few fakes and recased models. Any help appreciated.

7. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Nov 9, 2019

I would pop over to MWR and browse the forum there.

watchyouwant likes this.
  8. Dr No Nov 11, 2019

One aspect to be aware of is the distinction between steel case (CK2292) and alloy case (UK2292) versions. If memory serves correct, steel cases are less common, which explains why they tend to be more costly. If you see a wide spread between 2292s for sale, there may be a case metal difference between them.

IMG_1046.jpg
    [Ω ref UK2292]

Art

9. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Nov 11, 2019

Fakes? Don't think so. Lousy alloy cases, damaged and therefore shortened lugs, re applied engravings. Yes, but that's it. The RAAF had steel cases. Propably leftover from the RAF shipped inside the Commonwealth. The 1956 steel case version done by the MoD are correct in their own right. I prefer them, because these are daily wearers. Not the Alloy cases.....make sure, all hands are blued and correct. The center second hand has to be long and with the correct counter weight. Very hard to find.... Kind regards. Achim