Forums Latest Members
  1. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 22, 2016

mattonthewater, Mad Dog, Garv and 5 others like this.
  2. ulackfocus Oct 22, 2016

I don't believe it.

For my entire baseball life (which dates back to my first memories in the early 70's) I could count on only a couple of things:

1) Turn on the Phillies and the familiar voice of Harry Kalas would be announcing the play by play.
    2) The Cubs and Indians were not going to win the World Series.

Harry is now gone, and one of those two perennial loser teams has to win. WTF!?!?!?!? The next thing you know the Eagles will win a Super Bowl.

3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 22, 2016

" The next thing you know the Eagles will win a Super Bowl."

A squirrel will be elected President first.

IMG_5146.JPG

4. ulackfocus Oct 22, 2016

A squirrel might have had a chance this year.

kkt, flw, Jwit and 3 others like this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 22, 2016

Life long Eagles Phils Flyers fan but we've been out here for 15 years. Hard not to be happy for these fans and this city. The Hawks run has been fantastic but this is history. The birds will get one eventually!

6. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Oct 22, 2016

I was only in Chicago a couple of years, but I loved going to Wrigley Field. We would bring a cooler, stock up on Old Styles at a liquor store on Jarvis, and sun ourselves in the bleaches while, somewhere off in the distance, the Cubs lost. Great fans, great park, they more than deserve a winner. Comiskey Park and the White Sox fans, OTOH ... ;)

Larry S likes this.
  7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 22, 2016

One could only hope.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 22, 2016

They lost their chance when they passed on Chip Kelly, he's now busy dominating the NFC West with Blaine "even with a clean pocket I'll sack myself" Gabbert and Colin "well if he jumped 10 feet higher he might have caught it" Kaepernick

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 23, 2016

10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 23, 2016

Congrats to the Cubbies!

Though the Braves are my first baseball love, the Indians are a close second and I'll be pulling for them from this point onward.

LawBrk and Larry S like this.
  11. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 23, 2016

Cavs win the NBA title the same year the Indians win the World Series...what's next, the Browns winning the Super Bowl? I couldn't keep a straight face typing that.

ulackfocus, Larry S and Darlinboy like this.
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 23, 2016

After what the people of Chicago did to that poor kid back in 2003, they can wait another 108 years for all I care.

Go Indians!

IMG_1667.JPG

gatorcpa

gemini4, MikiJ, abrod520 and 2 others like this.
  13. ulackfocus Oct 23, 2016

I'm rooting for the Indians also. I think the Cubs should give Steve Bartman the best seat in the house for every WS game at Wrigley to make up for the insane harassment (Death threats! The guy got death threats over a foul ball!) the city's crazy sports fans gave him.

Larry S likes this.
  14. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 23, 2016

At the risk of jeopardizing my widely perceived, 'Spring Chicken' status, I enjoyed many afternoon at Wrigley Field, watching Billy Williams (my favorite Cub), Fergie Jenkins, Ernie Banks, and others from that era play. (As an aside, the greatest player I ever saw play at Wrigley was Gayle Sayers! :D)

Happy to see them in this position, but sorry that Harry and Jack Brickhouse aren't around to savor it.

Edited Oct 23, 2016
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 23, 2016

I seem to recall the saga of one Mitchell "Wild Thing" Williams a few years back.::stirthepot::

However I think since Mr. Epstein has banished both the curse of the Bambino and Billy Goat ...perhaps he can lift the curse on Steve Bartman.

16. ulackfocus Oct 23, 2016

My worst nightmare. "Touch'em all Joe. You'll never hit a bigger home run in your life!" echoes in my brain.

Easy there - you might be jinxing your team. The Billy Goat curse hasn't been lifted until the Cubs win and that's not a given.

Now, in 2008 when the Rays beat the Yankees in the ALCS to advance to the WS, I looked at my wife and said "YES! The Phillies just won the World Series!" even though Game 1 wasn't for another few days. THAT was a given. ;) :D

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 23, 2016

Not a curse at all. The Bartman affair was done by the Chicago fans for something that any one of them would have done if in the same position. By the way, no one told the Cubs to give up 8 runs that inning to the Marlins and lose the next game too...all at home.

Also, what's up with that stupid ritual about throwing back home run balls? The Bleacher Bums will physically assault you if you don't do it.

No. the people of Chicago are undeserving of a team this good.

Clean up your act, Chicago!
    gatorcpa

Edited Oct 23, 2016
  18. ulackfocus Oct 23, 2016

I have to agree with gator. Chicago is right up there with NY, Philly, Boston, and San Francisco for their fan's bad reputation.

Actually, if you take Eagles fans out of the equation, Philly is relatively tame.

Larry S likes this.
  19. abrod520 Oct 23, 2016

I dunno about NY sports fans.... I mean, most Jets fans are from New Jersey, and most Mets fans these days are bandwagon hipsters, now that they're doing well. Yanks fans can get loud, but even the Bleacher Creatures don't get into fights that often?

In terms of the Giants, Knicks, Nets and Islanders, nobody really cares about them; and as for Rangers fans, nobody really pays much attention to them

20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 23, 2016

Agree on hipster Mets fans. Giants fans ...had beer poured on me for rooting for the Iggles at GS. Cut my teeth on Philly sports...Flyers fans????????? Soooooo many stories.. Eagles fans, well, its a given. . Yankees, had season tix one year through work, everyone's a comedian but overall a happy place. .

Gotta push back on Chicago perceptions. I've attended a fair number of Cubs/Bulls/Blackhawks games since we moved here. Pretty much safe happy venues to take your kids to. Boorish behavior is not tolerated. Happy for the long suffering fans and the City has taken a beating of late so its all good. What happened with Bartman though was inexcusable. People are still hunting the guy.