Forums Latest Members

Crystal Protector for Omega Planet Ocean

1. azruski777 Jun 26, 2015

Hey folks, I found this guy on Ebay who makes Invisible Shield protectors for watches. He makes any size and sells them for 2.50 with free shipping. They are also waterproof which is cool. Here are some pics. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 26, 2015

The trouble with these is what is there that could damage sapphire but couldn't damage 0.01mm of plastic wrap? Anything that was going to hurt the crystal still will, you've just now got a bit of plastic on top of it.

azruski777 likes this.
  3. wsfarrell Jun 26, 2015

Sounded silly at first, but then I realized I have those on my phone and camera.

azruski777 likes this.
  4. azruski777 Jun 26, 2015

I agree and disagree due to the anti glare coating leaves scuffs just from desk or light hits on walls. This protector doesn't scratch as easy as the coating. Wsfarrel I have the same protector on my S6 edge and camera as well. For 2.50 you can't go wrong.

5. azruski777 Jun 26, 2015

I got this to protect from the anti glare coating which scratches real easy.

6. italy1861 Jun 26, 2015

Gonna have to agree with dsio on this one.. I've replaced quite a few phone screens that had that type of film on them.. Didn't make one bit of difference when dropped.. Sapphire crystal is very durable on it's own when scratches are a concern.. If the AR coating is what your worried about, why not just have it removed from the outside of the crystal? The inside of the crystal has the AR coating also so it won't affect the anti-glare properties..

azruski777 likes this.
  7. azruski777 Jun 26, 2015

Great idea.

8. yinzerniner Jun 26, 2015

I'm not sure if this is a fully dissenting opinion, but I have to disagree with you and dsio on this one. I think this is a pretty good idea. Comparing the PO crystal to a cell phone screen is not fair considering the thinness and the different makeup of said screens. Also, removing the outside anti glare / anti reflective coating WILL affect the proprieties. Maybe not greatly, but there will be an effect.
    Sapphire is incredibly hard (9 on the Mohs scale, and just for reference diamond is 10) so dropping and chipping or cracking the crystal is not what these protectors are made for. They seem to expressly made for protecting the AR coating, which many have noted is much easier to scratch. And yes, while one can get the AR coating removed with only a slight degradation of the viewing capabilities, it does take time and money while also bringing down the value of the watch. For some it's just not practical.

To the OP azruski777, how much does the extra layer of plastic adversely effect the crystal? If it makes the crystal less transparent in any way maybe there's a better option like maybe paying that extra amount to either have the AR removed or even getting another sapphire crystal without the external AR coating and installing it while also keeping the original crystal in case of a sale.

Giff2577 and azruski777 like this.
  9. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jun 26, 2015

Is the film AR also? because I know that my iphone screen is MUCH clearer without any protector or such on it. I would hate to be looking at a watch with a film on it

Geo!, Speedy1 and azruski777 like this.
  10. italy1861 Jun 26, 2015

If it's invisishield, the original purpose for it is to protect the front of a car.. It's quite thick and is far from invisible.. I have also seen a PO with the outer AR coating removed and if he didn't mention it, I would of never known...

azruski777 likes this.
  11. azruski777 Jun 26, 2015

I agree with you, the protector does not affect the visibility of the watch at all. Pluss for 2.50 you can't go wrong. I am not getting and coating removed.

12. azruski777 Jun 26, 2015

This does not affect the watch at all. You can't even tell it's on!

13. azruski777 Jun 26, 2015

Yes it's invisishield.

14. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jun 26, 2015

If it is indeed invisible shield by zagg there is NO way that it is clear as glass EVER. I am super picky about how light reflects off things and there has to be some visibility changes compared to the smooth sapphire glass and AR.

tegee26 and azruski777 like this.
  15. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jun 26, 2015

I always have a chuckle when I see people with screen protectors on smartphones. These screens are the most expensive part of the unit, designed and tested to look amazing, and someone sticks a couple of quid of shiny plastic over it. So they are deliberately degrading their own experience in order to keep the screen perfect...for the next owner. So you pay full price and have a bad experience and the next person pays half price and has a pristine screen. Seems odd. Kindles are even worse! E-ink anti-glare screen and someone sticks a shiny film full of bubbles on top. I'm all for personal choice, but it's not for me.

billyblue likes this.
  16. Speedy1 Jun 26, 2015

Not sure I agree with the cell phone screen analogy. Synthetic sapphire crystal is rated at 9 on the Mohs scale, where I don't believe Gorilla glass and others used in Iphones and other types of phones are rated above a 7. I don't think adding a protector to something already rated at a 9 makes any difference, and actually could affect visibility as pointed out by Kringkily. To my mind, this 'crystal protector' is a panacea searching for a problem

17. azruski777 Jun 27, 2015

I don't see a difference, but that's me

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 27, 2015

Not one for screen covers on anything let alone a top of the line divers watch.

Same glass as bezel on this watch and never a need for a plastic cover. Wear it like a tool watch is meant to be...
    image.jpg

Sausalito and Mad Dog like this.
  19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 27, 2015

Exactly. Why buy something and then do everything possible to not enjoy the darn thing. It's like some cell phone buyers they will buy the latest model phone and pay a premium because it's thinner and lighter and then encase it on what makes it look like a trucks tire that needs it's own bag to carry. Each time I see that I just feel like: dude, just buy a bigger more durable water proof phone and worry less about it because you're not enjoying anything that you're paying for.

Same with watches. It's already funny that we buy a 2000 M rated dive watch that is as thick as a helmet because it's supposed to be shock and life proof... And then we hesitate on wearing it while we surf....the Web, and we get glass covers or buy/ keep a plastic cover for the case back so it doesn't wear against your wrist, or freak out because there is a scratch on the third link of the bracelet...

Just enjoy your purchases... Your phone will be in a drawer within 2 years anyway and your watch is just a watch...and if it's a tool watch it's a tool watch.

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 27, 2015

If you had an AR coating on the AR coating protection film it might work really well ;)

But then you get stuck in an infinite loop.

tegee26, Nobel Prize and STANDY like this.