Forums Latest Members
  1. Lemanialover Jul 3, 2017

The crown post has fallen out of my Speedmaster. It appears the retaining screw has backed right off and come away from whatever female item it threads into. Is there a simple cure to reinstate the screw?

The watch is a 105012-66 which I bought new in period. 321 etc. Suggestions from members appreciated.

2. Canuck Jul 3, 2017

There is no part of your watch that is called a "crown post". It sounds to me as though you might be referring to the detent screw which (in a manner of speaking) acts as an "axle" for the stem detent. The detent screw does screw into the stem detent, and it can become unscrewed. You say the "crown post has fallen out". I am having difficulty imagining how that screw could fall out. Has the stem and crown pulled out of the movement? Detent screws typically will not fall out, even if totally unscrewed from the detent. There is a simple solution. Simply take the watch to a watchmaker who is familiar with chronographs, and have him do it for you. This is not something you will be able to achieve by yourself.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 3, 2017

Well you have a very valuable watch there.

Get it serviced by an expert. Do not replace the bezel, dial, and hands. The crown should also be saved if possible.

4. Lemanialover Jul 3, 2017

Thanks for your suggestions. This watch was serviced by the factory many years ago but ever since then it has had problems with folk who make it worse. The last time was in Switzerland when it came back and had a pusher fall out and get lost and now the crown and the shaft that has the square shank at the inboard end literally just fell out. How do you find 'an expert'? Is there such a person in London perhaps?

5. Canuck Jul 3, 2017

Not to damn unfairly, the people who have worked on the watch. It is possible that factors other than their work have resulted in your problems. Did the pusher "fall off", or was it broken off? Did the complete stem pull out, or might the watch have been worn without the crown being screwed down, resulting in a broken stem. With the caliber 321 movement in the watch, it could be 40+ years old. Things happen with old equipment. The longer we expect old equipment to continue in use, the more frequent the failures or breakage.

6. td69 Jul 3, 2017

Hello and may I ask that you could share some photos so more people can help address your questions/concerns?

7. Lemanialover Jul 3, 2017

OK I'll take a couple of pix and see if I can get them up on the site. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

omegasaso12 likes this.
  8. Davidt Jul 3, 2017

For servicing 321's in the U.K. the go to guys are either Swiss Time Services or Simon Freese Watchmakers.

Numerous members including myself have had great work done by them on multiple occasions.

oddboy likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 4, 2017

The correct name for the part in question is the setting lever, and the screw for it is the setting lever screw. If that screw has backed out the crown and stem can come out of the watch as you have shown. Often this requires removal of the hands and dial to set right, so definitely not a DIY on this watch.

The Cal. 321 has an additional screw that keeps the setting lever from moving too far away from the main plate - this makes it a bit unusual for the screw to have come completely out of the setting lever, so it's possible that it has just backed off enough for the stem to come out, and you might be able to put it back. It's also possible that the threaded part of the screw has snapped off in the setting lever:

[​IMG]

For that I use a screw head file to make a slot in the broken part of the screw:

[​IMG]

And then unscrew it:

[​IMG]

But if the watch hasn't been serviced recently, then this will all be taken care of when you have that done...

Cheers, Al

ConElPueblo likes this.
  10. Canuck Jul 4, 2017

It would appear as though the threads on that stem are rusted! Blame past watchmakers for your watch problems if you will, but it appears to me that neglect is also a factor in your problems.

11. mr_yossarian Jul 4, 2017

Looks like a 27xx serial and I see taller pushers which would indicate a 145.012. What's written in the caseback?

12. Lemanialover Jul 4, 2017

The threads on the spindle are not rusted. Inside the case is stamped 105012-66. I've now got fixed up for the solution to the problem so thank you all v much for your comments and help. Appreciated.

13. mr_yossarian Jul 4, 2017

A 27xxx serial can't by no known ranges be a 105.012. But if you don't mind, why should I.

14. Lemanialover Jul 4, 2017

Well the inside of the back is stamped with 105.012 and the movement inside is the same one the watch came with when new ...... that's how the factory sent it out.

15. Davidt Jul 4, 2017

It may be worth considering a full service rather than a spot solution as there may well be other issues leading to potential movement damage.

Interesting that you're in the U.K. but it has a Meister dial. Presumably it was bought abroad?

Foo2rama likes this.
  16. mr_yossarian Jul 4, 2017

For sure NOT.
    A extrem late 145.012 Serial and a 105.012 caseback?? Could even be a caliber 861 Serial. Where did you buy this thing?
    But as said, if you don't mind, why should I.
    An extract of the Archive from Omega would surely proove you wrong.

17. Lemanialover Jul 5, 2017

The movement has 321 stamped on it and I bought it in Zurich (I bought 2 of them) in 1968. The full stamping is 105012-66. It's just a watch so don't worry about it. Been keeping good time on my wrist for nearly 50 years!

ConElPueblo likes this.
  18. mr_yossarian Jul 5, 2017

Then the Casebacks of the two might have been swapped. No reason to worry if you didn't buy it lately for a lot of money.