Forums Latest Members
  1. Sturmvogel Feb 13, 2019

Hello,

I bought a 166.010 Seamaster with a nice crosshair dial. I already own the same watch, but without Onyx markers and with a later style 'S' in Seamaster. I assume this one is from around 1963?

I have two questions:

- The vertical crosshair line is not fully centered with the Omega logo. I am certain the dial is original, but maybe a small imperfection in production. Have you seen something like that before?

- I want to get this one fully serviced and the second pointer replaced with a new-old stock one. Would you recommend me to use Omega's service? I'd tell them not to throw away any parts and only use new-old stock items that fit this watch.

Cheers,

Roger

bc6831.jpg
  2. fskywalker Feb 13, 2019

Nice pickup! Think general concensus is to use a private watchmen rather an Omega on vintage pieces

3. Passover Feb 13, 2019

fskywalker likes this.
  4. Sturmvogel Feb 13, 2019

Oups. Thank you!

I really like the cross-hair dial ever since I bought my 166.010 with silver markers and I have been looking for one with black markers for a while now. This one looked nice and clean. I plan to get it fully serviced, but only know the official Omega store who could do that, which will be expensive and may not be the best option if I want to keep the originality. I don't want them to polish the casing, just to clean it, replace the crystal and replace the seconds hand.

I am glad to read that the dial is all good :)

fskywalker likes this.
  5. Passover Feb 13, 2019

6. Sturmvogel Feb 13, 2019

There is a larger bruise near the 12 o'clock position on the crystal, but nothing too bad. I have an original NOS Omega replacement crystal for 166.010 in my collection that could be used. Do you mean with you would keep both to keep them as separate parts if I want to restore the original condition later or that you would not replace them at all?

Thank you for the recommendation regarding private watchmen. I will consider them. One issue may be that if I have to send the watch abroad and back again, I'd have to pay taxes again for import. I live in Switzerland (maybe there is a Swiss private watchman here? :)

7. Passover Feb 13, 2019

I meant not to replace them at all but I wasn't aware of the bruise at 12. Maybe you can polish it out with Polywatch

Taxes is always a problem, I know that :(

MaiLollo and fskywalker like this.
  8. Sturmvogel Feb 13, 2019

OK, thanks. I'll see how it looks after I got it and will then decide what to do.

When I know the movement number, I may order an extract from the Omega archives. It would be interesting to know the exact year and original buyer. I assume something around 1963.

9. CaliberKingPin Feb 24, 2021

Actually I have been looking more closely at the other crosshair link and the other watch doesn’t even have lum on the hands!

So that’s the issue.

My crosshair hands have lum and this watch is not suppose to have lum!

if I Rembrandt’s correctly from the Gone fishing thread on thing that was said is if your hands have lum the markers will as well. So the issue is they have not been relumed it’s that they have been lumed!

How did I do?

man I should be going to detective school not watch repair school! Lol

10. CaliberKingPin Feb 24, 2021

Oh man my bad wrong thread. Lol