Forums Latest Members
  1. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 4, 2017

How about this for creativity?

[​IMG]
    Taken from this ebay listing - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Historical-...717103?hash=item4b231e04ef:g:AAsAAOSwstJZWPGZPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The seller claims the watch is an award from the WW1 era US 13th Aero squadron. But I recalled that the 13th's emblem was slightly different:

13th_Aero.png

A bit of research turns up the fact that the Repear on the watch is probably from the a French unit - SPA94:
    SPA94insignia.jpg

In any case, I think the dial is a modern reproduction. What do you think?

2. redpcar Sep 4, 2017

Item location:
    Sofia, Bulgaria

Do we need to say more?

marco, chronos and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  3. davidswiss Sep 4, 2017

I worked in Sofia in 2007/8 and the stuff on sale in the market had to be seen to be believed. Watches, Leica camera etc.
    Actually some of the fake rolex weren't bad, the case/dial/ bracelet were ok and they all had automatic movements. They were sold as fakes and I believe quite a few rolex owners bought them as everyday beaters in case of theft while travelling.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 4, 2017

I'm inclined to believe the watch is real and not like one of the "Ukranian Specials".

I would need to inspect it in the flesh before I parted with $10K though.

If you look at his other listings and find the Zenith boxed chronometerPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network (not really a naval chronometer though!), in the picture gallery the last two are of some significant pocket watch collections.

PWC_from_eBay1.jpg PWC_from_eBay2.jpg

5. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 4, 2017

I'm not questioning the watch, just the authenticity of the dial. In addition to the Aero 13 watch he has others with fantasy dials:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-German...ck-dial-Omega-CHRONOMETER-watch-/302255812134Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Antique-military-Regulator-black-dial-Omega-pocket-watch-/322455568446Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 4, 2017

I agree on many of the others. Fanciful concoctions. Most of the "military" ones are KM, Luftwaffe etc, but this one is unusual in that it sports the simple emblem of a relatively unknown squadron. I'm still 50/50 on this one (maybe because I'd like it to be true) but I guess we'll never know.