Forums Latest Members
  1. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 21, 2016

I came across this watch on eBay. It's way overpriced, in my opinion, but I think I can get it down substantially. It's a French-made Mortima, which should have a Cattin C66 movement. Pin lever movements are the question. I know they can be problematic to service because they're cheap and the pins wear out, but does the addition of jewels help that? I can't find info one way or the other. Perhaps one of the resident watchmakers can answer.
    [​IMG]

Next up is a German-made Osco Aquatic with an Osco 800 manual wind movement. Can't find much about the company but I like the look of the watch. There's some wear to the stainless on the back but, if the price was right, is it worth a buy? Any info is appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 21, 2016

I like the look of the Osco. It's a proper movement, and lume looks good. A search on the Dr Ranfft movement site indicates that Osco movements also found its ways into Dugena watches, and Cousins seems to have parts on hand in case of any repairs. A nice looking watch indeed!

Unable to answer about the Mortima I'm afraid; there is a breakdown service repair with the same movement here: http://watchinprogress.com/vintage-mortima-superdatomatic-divers-watch-repair/#gallery1/75/

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 21, 2016

Thanks for that. There's at least one person who can repair a Mortima.;)

4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Aug 21, 2016

That case isn't stainless, it is nickel or chrome plated.

FWIW, I usually pass on these types of divers because for a little more or even cases less, you can pick up whip ass divers with stainless cases and great movements.

Your eye is good, just keep plugging away and find the better examples, unless of course the watch speaks to you, and you have to have it.

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 21, 2016

I can't tell if it's the watch or the voices in my head that are speaking to me. I suppose spending money on either would answer that question.