Forums Latest Members

Could the Speedy Tuesday 2 website malfunctioning have been avoided

1. whitewolf777 Jul 11, 2018

Hi to all,

Many, if not, all of those that were in front of there screens yesterday trying to reserve a ST2 “Ultraman” have experienced heavy malfunctioning of the Omega website.
    Impossibility to complete the process, dead buttons, resets, error messages, freezes, you name it.

A very, disappointing and stressful experience, obliging to restart the reservation process over and over, and sadly for too many Speedmaster aficionados, with as an end result an impossibility to reserve the watch even after being allocated one many times, (now you hold it, now you don’t...). They did everything right, were in front of their screens in due time, and certainly among the first to enter the process, sometimes saw their grail number on the screen, and then were victims of a software malfunction.

My questions here to those of our community who know better about the technology is:
    How does such malfunctioning happen?
    Was it possible to reasonably avoid this situation?

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 11, 2018

5000-10000 people trying to get 2000 LE watches in 20 minutes is always going to be a issue.

Try getting one of 600 Spyderco knives in a sprint run with probably 25k people trying. Those things have the same issues and sell out in 4 minutes.

So hey not saying the order process was not clunky and a lot of people missed out. But there was always going to be a lot of people missing out when they only release 2000.
    Rolex have the same people on a 5 year waiting list.

3. connieseamaster Jul 11, 2018

It sounds like Omega uses a similar system to Ticketmaster when it comes to processing transactions like this. Works fine when the system sees a moderate amount of traffic, but starts glitching as more people pile in. They probably hamdled it as well as they could with the hosting bandwidth they had. I still much prefer Omega's method to the Rolex wait-list.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 11, 2018

Its not easy, you can always better prepare but dealing with a spike in traffic that big, and keeping in mind its not just the 5-10k people hitting it but those people hitting refresh over and over and trying to get the number they want etc, its entirely possible they had a few million page-loads over a short period of time especially as some speculators likely turned to automation to try to get more allocations.

I would not be surprised if more people on the waiting list do receive an allocation though as Omega go through the list and cancel instances of single IPs reserving several watches, people short selling allocations etc.

5. BenjaminT Jul 11, 2018

The preannouncement did not make it easier and stuffed the action in a even shorter period.
    The number picking did not make it easier as well and was prone to failure.
    Split the process up.
    First reserve & confirm, then clean the list, then let the holders of a confirmed reservation pick a number.

Foo2rama, connieseamaster and BatDad like this.
  6. SeanO Jul 11, 2018

Even the bad news is good news for Omega.

gostang9 and Nathan1967 like this.
  7. vbrad26 Jul 11, 2018

Same thing happens (or used to - I don't participate anymore) with new iPhone releases.
    More than half of it is luck...
    If Apple hasn't figured it out in the last 10 years of iPhone releases, I'm not sure Omega will.
    I realize this is not exactly an apples to apples (wow no pun intended) comparison, but I believe the premise is the same.

This one hurts more though for those who seriously wanted one of these pieces.
    With the phones, if you missed out, you would still eventually be able to get one.
    However with a LE item such as this, no such luck unless you are willing to pay a premium.

8. ulackfocus Jul 11, 2018

I don't think they want to avoid the "problem". Look at the hysteria it caused!!!! Forums, Instagram.... it's all press for Omega.

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 11, 2018

After a few hundred years of learning to avoid traps, squirrels are the masters of cynicism.

10. Uniqez Jul 11, 2018

You probably took their server down, so you could order more watches for yourself.)

11. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jul 11, 2018

I don’t think you understand the magnitude of suffering this has caused. There will now be a seismic shift at Omegaforums. The haves vs the have nots. I hope as a have not I am able to pull through. With the help of my family and a 12 step program or two, I hope to be able to at least cope.

gostang9 and vbrad26 like this.
  12. TheHoof Jul 11, 2018

To answer your first question: Poor infrastructure planning / insuffient scaling or capacity available / poor architecture design/ poor software design/ poor coding/ poor testing. One or more of these would all contribute. It's rarely a single item that causes a system to fail (Swiss cheese model of failure).

To answer your second question: yes. I'm reasonably confident there are many sites that have successfully dealt with larger "burst" loads.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  13. whitewolf777 Jul 11, 2018

Many thanks for your answers and your posts.
    It soothes a bit the disappointment. I hold no grudge to the brand, and I strongly support companies that try new methods.
    I only hope that this was not planned to be like that and will be corrected for futur similar sales.

14. abrod520 Jul 11, 2018

Wonder if maybe the mobile site was optimised? I had no trouble tapping the link from Instagram and filling everything out on their browser - since the Speedy Tuesday is social-media themed, maybe they put more resources towards that?

sdre likes this.
  15. ulackfocus Jul 11, 2018

I'm a "Have Not" and am tickled pink to be one! I was a Have Not last year for ST#1, and have been a Have Not for my entire life as far as Speedmasters have been concerned. FREE YOUR MIND!!!!

FreeYourMind.png

Seaborg and Vercingetorix like this.
  16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 11, 2018

Last year was worse for Americans that woke up to a sold out product. This year they took steps to avoid the west coast debacle and it was in general higher profile for a multitude of reasons.
    I had issues on iPhone. Booted up on Mozilla on the PC and flew through the process. I was one of the last apparently. My problem was being unable to get to the second page with no feedback tonif the page was working.

One change I would do is allow people to pick 5 numbers at the start and then an option for a random number. Seems more fair and streamlined.

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 11, 2018

You Think ???

IMG_3719.jpg

18. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jul 11, 2018

I only pray I can cope as well as you, the suffering is terrible.

19. sevenhelmet Jul 11, 2018

Server issues?

Bots.

20. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 11, 2018

Well there's a well-known saying = Adventor semper rectus !
    Customers
    should be important for every firm... so get to know your fanbase & regular customers
    Omega could try another system with prior registration online in order to get an idea how many watch aficionados are interested to buy a certain time piece... in combination with a visit to an AD to pay a deposit.

larryganz likes this.