Forums Latest Members
  1. Vagante Jan 16, 2018

I am new to Omega watches but I've always wanted one and I'm finally searching for the right match. I am looking at the Aqua Terra. Several questions though. Are all Aqua Tara's coaxial? Could someone explain in layman's term what coaxial really is? Thanks very much for any replies

2. Vitezi Jan 16, 2018

Sometimes pictures are worth a thousand words:

3. Vitezi Jan 16, 2018

frederico, Wivac, murph and 1 other person like this.
  4. Vagante Jan 16, 2018

Thank you very much

Larry S likes this.
  5. wsfarrell Jan 16, 2018

I love the way the 4 screw slots are aligned on the back of that Deville.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 17, 2018

No, not all Aqua Terra models are co-axial - there were quartz versions made as well.

The co-axial escapement was designed to be run without lubrication and eliminate sliding friction, which is great except it has to be lubricated and has sliding friction. Omega said they were designed to increase service intervals, but those have ended up being the same as they were before the co-axial.

Here is a video of a Swiss lever escapement model:

Here is a video of a co-axial escapement model:

Both taken at Omega when I had some training on the servicing of these movements (servicing this escapement is very different from working on a Swiss lever escapement). The initial co-axial escapement designs had problems, but the escapements seem to have been worked out to the point where they are pretty much as reliable as the Swiss lever is.

Cheers, Al

dan7800 likes this.
  7. tikkathree Jan 17, 2018

And that's why my AT hunt involves Co Axial and not qqqqquartz!

OMGRLX likes this.
  8. RobertOne Jan 18, 2018

Here are a couple of videos featuring the inventor, Dr. George Daniels. The first explains it's innovation, the second tells of it finding it's way to omega. The third displays the movement.

dan7800 and Vitezi like this.