Forums Latest Members

Could do with some help on Speedmaster 105.003 hands

1. mozambique Dec 2, 2014

Someone is going to tell me that I need to invest $300 in a certain book, but until then, a question:

Looking at some NOS hands for my 105.003. Won't be perfect, but not too expensive and a step up from current. Confibulated by some hands for sale which look to have kosher period packaging, but are labelled as '0861ST1450022 Omega hands, white, painted radium'. Manufacturer is JBorel.

Did a quick google and there is a JBorel watch parts supplier out of Kansas City that has been operating for 93 years (Co. name font style on packaging and shop website looks identical). Can't imagine a US firm manufactured parts for Omega, so maybe aftermarket parts manufacturer? The radium is a bit confusing as I gather radium was phased out in ~1960 and the 861 didn't come in until around '68?

Lastly, can anyone tell me the difference in luminescence colour / appearance between radium, tritium and super luminova.

As ever, thanks in advance!

2. mozambique Dec 2, 2014

Maybe radium was phased out later in USA and as aftermarket hands, these came with radium instead of tritium?

3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Dec 2, 2014

Probably not answering your questions, but there were in fact parts manufactured in the USA for Omega. One example is production of Speedmaster cases. Omega contracted with the Star Watch Case Company of Ludington, Michigan in 1978 to produce cases for the Speedmaster Professional. This was done to comply with NASA procurement rule stating that 50% of the parts used in any watch for the space program be made in the USA

4. mozambique Dec 2, 2014

Ahhh......the seller confirmed that JBorel was a supplier for Omega (not sure how iron cast that statement is). Of course, then there is the radium thing. Would be more of a potential concern for watchmakers I would imagine re. inhaling friable radium lume

5. mozambique Dec 2, 2014

Hang on!
    The monstrous stupidity of what you wrote (NASA, not you) just sunk in......................Jesus man, that must have added a huge amount of not very much to USA GDP.

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 2, 2014

7. mozambique Dec 2, 2014

20 to 30k sterling and it has a Yankee-Swiss case............think I would rather own a Timex :)

8. Tom Dick and Harry Dec 3, 2014

for 105.003 they really should be tritium hands

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 3, 2014

Not sure I would believe this story by the seller. The part number you gave for these does not make any sense - looks made up by someone who is not really that familiar with how Omega parts numbers are used. The material group is 086 (first 3 digits) and that is for pushers and correctors, not hands....

10. mozambique Dec 3, 2014

Yes, I am well aware that the hands should be tritium.
    Yes, the serial # looked odd to me too, but the packaging looks historical. Anyhow, has sold now, so does not matter (was not keen on the radium aspect).
    Out of interest Al, are you wary about working on radium dials etc. re. degraded lume particles floating in the air when you open up a case?

pics.JPG

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 3, 2014

I am very cautious when working on a watch with radium yes. I prefer not to work on them but when I do I take precautions.

Still the numbers on that package don't make sense - 1450022 is a case number for a completely different Speedmaster...

These J Borel parts are like a Bestfit type of situation, so made to fit an Omega, but not made by Omega. They are what watchmakers would consider generic parts. There were many companies who made generic parts, or parts "to fit" a brand. To fit Rolex, Cal. XXXX, or To fit Omega case XXXXX.

Borel, Marshall, Besfit, etc. I see people here talk about buying Bestfit crowns with Omega logos, and sort of implying these are real Omega crowns, which for this forum surprises me a little to be honest...

Cheers, Al

12. mozambique Dec 3, 2014

Thanks Al, still can't work out why the use of radium, as, as you say, the serial number infers a late '60's speedy which would have used tritium. A bit like asbestos in Canada, I wonder if the USA was a hold out on the use of 'safe' radium?