Forums Latest Members

Could anyone offer a little advice on these 2 watches on Ebay?

1. Spike Dec 12, 2013

Hi guys,

Carrying on from an earlier post of mine, I'd been looking for a nice vintage 'Connie' for a first quality watch to wear for everyday use.

I then managed to confuse myself (!) by starting to look at vintage Seamasters and ended up not knowing what I wanted within my budget of £1000 here in the UK.....

I decided to shelve the search until after Christmas, possibly gather a few more £'s and search in the New Year. Having said that I have just happened across the following 2 watches being sold by a UK seller on Ebay and wondered if you guys would be good enough to offer some advice on what you thought about them for condition, value, etc etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1...852-Cal-505-Original-Dial-Watch-/310817584635Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1...es_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item485e2bc3a4Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The Constellation is above my budget but to the very untrained eye, looks nice. The Seamaster doesn't appeal as much but is much better priced for me and still looks nice...

What do you think about them?

Why do these vintage watches seem so much more expensive here that over the pond?!!!!!!

Cheers

Spike

2. ulackfocus Dec 12, 2013

Hi Spike. Wait for advice on the Connie from members who've owned one like that, but I can definitely comment on this one because I used to own it:

It's a pretty nice watch with a little dirt at the top of the dial. It kept good time too. The seller has added what looks like an authentic buckle (I don't recall having that when I owned it). I think the price is pretty steep though. From what everyone says around here, the prices for vintage watches are higher in the UK and Europe, probably due to the taxes. Still, I can't see this being more than a $1000 / £610 watch - but wait for other members to chime in. I thought a member owned it now, but I don't know who's eBay ID that is.

3. Spike Dec 12, 2013

Thanks Dennis......a small world for watch collectors then, seeing a previously owned one popping up for sale again!

Thanks for you help, the trouble when you're just (in theory), buying one watch to wear all the time, you don't want to make a mistake or take the plunge in case something better pops up the next day!

Cheers

Spike.

4. ulackfocus Dec 12, 2013

Something better always pops up the next day. That's why you always see us buy in spurts and complain we're broke. :p

dragoman likes this.
  5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 12, 2013

Connie has ended but it is a very nice watch - sharp case, clean movement and original dial which has light patina and perhaps a few small age spots.

6. pitpro Likes the game. Dec 12, 2013

Who around here uses the expression "dial furniture"
    and is from UK I think also
    hmmm.....could these 2 be his?

7. Hijak Dec 12, 2013

Think your on to something there.:whistling:

8. ulackfocus Dec 12, 2013

Really? He has a new eBay ID that isn't the same as his screen name here anymore? I thought that Connie looked like one I had seen in the WRUW thread.

9. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Dec 12, 2013

All other items look familiar.;)

10. Spike Dec 13, 2013

Hi guys,

Thanks for the input on the Connie, much appreciated from someone that needs all the help and advice he can get!

It turns out that both watches were owned by a respected forum member who made contact with me through the site.

I was really interested in the watch especially knowing it was coming from a good home but unfortunately it seems that my maximum budget wasn't enough to secure a purchase and the watch sold to someone else through Ebay.

Oh well, onwards and upwards, I'll be asking for more advice on anything else that catches my eye in the coming weeks, hope you don't mind or get too bored with me!

I'd intended to just get the one 'keeper' and wear it until they carry me away but as my lovely wife pointed out, 'you have 2 sons, you need to buy at least 2 quality watches'...........could this be the start of something?!

Cheers!

Spike

11. ICONO Dec 13, 2013

Hello Spike

I have a 'nearly mint ,'gold capped, Cross Hair, Constellation in original untouched condition, original crystal, with the original constellation box, I will be selling shortly - let me know if you want to see imagery of the watch

Pretty identical to the one you have referenced

Regards

12. Spike Dec 13, 2013

Thanks Icono,

I was really looking for a SS Constellation (or indeed Seamaster in SS) but I'm not necessarily fixed in stone with that.

If you have something really nice that falls within my budget, I'd be silly to rule it without seeing some pictures...........

Could you post some pics or message me with them?

Thanks!

13. ICONO Dec 13, 2013

Hello Spike

It is a very good example, & operating within COSC

Let me know what you think ?

Con3.jpg Con2.jpg Con1.jpg
    Privateday7 likes this.
  14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 13, 2013

That's very nice ICONO

15. ICONO Dec 13, 2013

Alternatively a very rare 36mm Calibre 344, Bumper Seamaster, with sub second dial

XLSM2.jpg XLSM1.jpg
  16. Spike Dec 13, 2013

They really look lovely...........I don't know why I favour the watches in SS, I guess because maybe they look less 'formal' for everyday use but you can't argue that both of those examples look fantastic and very tempting.

I would be interested to know if I could afford either so perhaps you could let me know either privately or here on the thread what price you are looking for if you do decide that you want to sell eventually?

As a general rule I'm assuming that the vintage watches we all like are still up to the rigours of everyday use rather than just coming out on special occasions or to form part of a collection? I don't live a particularly hectic life but I still have to work for a living and any watch would have to able to cope with day to day use............perhaps that should have been my very first question on the forum when I first posted!!!

Many thanks

Spike

17. ulackfocus Dec 13, 2013

I wear a vintage watch to work 3 or 4 out of 5 days a week. Granted, I'm not a lumberjack or iron worker, but I do some physical labor now & again and never had an issue. A good 40+ year old watch will still perform as it should if properly maintained.

18. Spike Dec 13, 2013

Thanks Dennis, Cushty!

Or to quote another South London saying, Lovely Jubbly!

Either one means thanks for your continued help and advice.......

19. ICONO Dec 13, 2013

I think, perhaps, the trick is to 'rotate' the watches - I am fortunate enough to have the facility to wear a vintage watch everyday, but never the same consecutively.

Depending on whether I am shooting behind a camera, ( 1970 Heuer Carrera ), / Tutoring Design Students ( Universal Geneve Compax ) / Doing paperwork ( 1956 Omega Bumper ) - I can wear my watches sequentially, and not repeat for over a Month.

Exercise the watches, but don't tax them. - Love, safeguard, & respect them.....Protect your investment

'Rough & Tumble' is why they invented Seikos !

20. ulackfocus Dec 13, 2013

Are you a long lost relative of mine?