Forums Latest Members
  1. betsieboo Mar 12, 2018

I have recently inherited this and am trying to decide what to do with it. I like it but i have no idea how old it is or even how valuable it is. It belonged to my great uncle though i don't recall ever seing it worn. I have not been able to find one like it online. I would be really grateful for any information to help me decide whether to sell it or pass it to my son. 152086881615373030870.jpg 152086881615373030870.jpg 15208688805531368577523.jpg 1520868913880388954882.jpg

Screwbacks likes this.
  2. Canuck Mar 12, 2018

Could be karat gold. We’d need to see the under side of the case back where quality marks, trade marks, case model # etc. are. My guess is that the mesh bracelet is after market, not original to the watch. But looks in nice shape. Could be karat gold, but to know for sure, you need to tell us of any stampings on the folding clasp. While the case back is off, we’d need to see the “works” (the movement). Once you know this information, you could research what vintage watch dealers are asking for similar watches. And perhaps refer to eBay archives to see what similar watches have sold for. Age? I am guessing, but it looks like mid 1960s to me.

Lucasssssss and MikiJ like this.
  3. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Mar 12, 2018

I'm sure this wouldn't be for sale now. not trying to skirt the rules or anything like that?

4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 12, 2018

Compared to most, this one is rather subtle.
    Beats the usual " New member here, I don't have enough posts to sell here so where else would be the best place to sell." Accompanied by a dozen close ups including movement shots.

Edited Mar 12, 2018
    MikiJ, JimInOz and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  5. betsieboo Mar 13, 2018

My apologies. My intention was not to skirt any rules. I live close to Birmingham, UK, a major center for the jewelry trade and with frequent relevant auctions and should I decide to sell, that would be the easiest route for me.
    I really am just looking for any comments. It would appear that it is not a particularly interesting model, had this been the case, I may have passed it on to my son.

6. ChrisN Mar 13, 2018

It looks a nice watch with an original dial and a case in good condition. As @Canuck said, it may be gold and that would affect the value a lot so, you will need to see inside as they'll be a hallmark on the inside of the case back. You'll need a watchmaker to open the case, get the case reference number and see if there are any hallmarks as well as checking the movement. I'd say it's a mid sixties dress watch as well and probably with a calibre 565 inside which is a nice movement.

It may not be anything particularly interesting but it is a nice momento and would be worth keeping if your son has an interest in watches.

I'm in UK (down in Somerset) so, if I can help, send me a private message by clicking on my picture.

Cheers, Chris

7. Gb2cv Mar 13, 2018

Having only been a member for a short time of this forum I have already discovered that there are some very nice and helpful users here who are ready and willing to offer genuine help and advice. But there are also some cynical, snidey and downright rude comments made by others. Like any "club" you'll probably have to be one of the gang before they'll even begin to trust you and even then grudgingly. I hope you get a fair price for the watch if you sell it but be aware that any dealer will pay the least they possibly can!