Forums Latest Members

Cost for Service on a LeCoultre

1. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 6, 2012

Hello All,

I have a couple of LeCoultre brand watches, one is a MemoVox which can use a cleaning, crystal and polish. The dial is perfect and needs no attention. I really like this one and want and frankly could get away with just the service. The crystal displays hairline cracks in the sun. Should I bother with getting the case polished? I plan to keep this one for the long run. What should i expect to pay for service/cleaning, what should I expect to pay for service/cleaning, crystal, polish?

I also have a Power Reserve, this one is aged, the dial has a slightly uneven patina, and the case and crystal both need attention. I like the look at this one, but hate the idea of spending the money on a watch that will not look mint after service/cleaning, crystal and polish. Thoughts on this?

Thanks

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 6, 2012

If the Memovox is sold gold or gold-filled, I wouldn't have it professionally polished. I'd spend $5 on a Blitz cloth and do it myself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blitz-Ultra...ean-Shine-Polish-Blue-White-NEW-/390374831746Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

If it is steel, the Blitz will help, but a professional polish might be unavoidable. The crystal can probably be improved for a few bucks with Polywatch and a nail block you can get at a beauty shop supply.

You'll want to save some money on the little things as I think it's going to run at least $250 to $300 to service it. With the two mainsprings and a vibrating hammer, it's a rather complicated watch. The Powermatic should be a little bit less. Cross your fingers and hope you don't need any parts as many are impossible to source at any price.

I got very lucky with my Memovox. It runs close to chronometer specs out of the box. I wear it no more than one day a month, so the service can wait.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. ulackfocus Aug 6, 2012

Gator isn't kidding - parts are difficult to find, especially the alarm spring. This is why a lot of us find beat-up but working watches for parts.

speedycosmograph likes this.
  4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 6, 2012

Thanks for the tips. I just purchased the Blitz cloth. The watch is gold platted, and in pretty good shape so this should work. I use Polywatch and had had good luck, but these are hairline cracks that don't seem to come out with Polywatch. The watch keeps time well, but the previous owner stated that it has been sitting in a safe for 30+ years, and advised that it should be serviced.

I will post a pic later, as I will need to ask for some assistance to determine the movement so that I can keep my eye out for replacement parts on ebay.

The watch looks identical to this one, same condition, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...K:MEWAX:IT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_500wt_1180Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 6, 2012

OK, it's the same as mine found elsewhere on this forum. It's called the Golden Heritage as was made for a few years beginning in 1963 for the US market.

The movement is a caliber K814, which is a slightly upgraded version of the cal. 489 found in most Memovoxes.
    gatorcpa

6. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 10, 2012

This worked great! Wow!

7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 10, 2012

This polished up nice, but I am not so sure the dial will. I am in $425 for this one, so need some advise on cutting my losses or spending the money to have the dial cleaned and crystal replaced. Any thoughts on this? I like the watch, but I have come to like the others I have that are mint much better.

IMG_0254.JPG

8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 10, 2012

For comparison

leCoultre.jpg

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 10, 2012

Whatever you do, don't get the dial refinished. If for some reason, you decide to do it anyway, please drop me a line. I have a watch with the exact same dial that has already been refinished. I'd be happy to do a swap and you can refinish the already redone dial. Here it is:

[​IMG]

I think you are one the right track with this one,
    gatorcpa

10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 10, 2012

No plan to re-finish. I will either clean dial or sell watch.

What is not clear to me is, if I have this dial cleaned, how much better will it look. Basically do I clean dial or do I sell watch and spend that money on a watch that is in mint condition. At this point I am just not sure.