Forums Latest Members
  1. -dR- Feb 16, 2020

I’m new here... please be (relatively) nice.

I picked this up a few days ago due to the unusual (IMHOj coloured dial. Before splashing out on a new strap, though I’d ask the collective a couple of questions:

- is it a wrong ‘un? Not been able to find a yellow dial photo on a seamaster cosmic.

- what strap would it normally have been fitted with?

- what strap would anyone advise to go on it... BTW it’s very yellow!

Sorry about images... there is not much natural light here due to an epic storm!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. wilderbeast Feb 16, 2020

Welcome to the forum!

I’m no expert, but this looks like a redial to me, on the basis that the Seamaster script is off and the lettering on Cosmic also doesn’t look right either. I’ve also not seen a dial this lurid on a Cosmic. But it looks like a fun watch to wear. I’d put it on a black NATO with a central yellow stripe, or similar. A black leather strap would work well, too, but I might be tempted to go with navy blue just to be a little different. There are plenty of threads here where you can see what is around - try the WRUW (What are You Wearing) thread for starters.

If you haven’t got proof of service history, I would recommend having an independent watchmaker look it over and give it a service. If it hasn’t been done for a while, then the oils around the parts can dry up and cause issues. Freshly serviced it will last a good few years of no-hassle running. Depending on where you are, factor in a couple of hundred of your local currency for this. Once serviced, wear it and enjoy it! The movements in these are good workhorses and it will be a reliable daily wearer.

I believe these would have come on a leather strap originally.

if you are looking to add to your collection, posting the watch on here first will help to answer some of your questions before purchase. I don’t know what you paid, but there are good, all-original Cosmics to be had out there still quite reasonably. But, of course, it all depends on what you’re looking for. Bottom line: if you like it, wear it!

3. -dR- Feb 16, 2020

75ABB926-51E5-4F0E-A7DC-7C09470BE2CB.jpeg That’s great.. Thanks for your help... Please see slightly better face image.

4. wilderbeast Feb 16, 2020

Here’s a Cosmic I used to own for comparison on the scripts:

4A7AFBB9-439A-4E3B-8B9A-67BB586E5F44.jpeg

Like I said, I'm no expert, but I’m sure there will be others on here who can confirm. Yours is a redial for me.

5. Rochete Feb 16, 2020

Redial.

wilderbeast likes this.
  6. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Feb 16, 2020

Welcome to OF!

There are a lot of repainted “fantasy” dials coming out of a shop in India. These are all painted in colours never used by the manufacturer. I’d guess that this is where this one came from, via eBay. Can you share pics of the movement? Maybe it’s real inside.

I’d go with a grey leather strap. Put it on black and it will look like a bee

Rochete and wilderbeast like this.
  7. -dR- Feb 16, 2020

Thanks for the responses so far!

The watch came from a local auction - not a from eBay or an internet auction house. I did check to see any history of a yellow face on eBay but nothing came up.

I’ve seen a magazine advert from circa 1970 with blue and yellow faces - could this been one of those? I can’t imagine yellow would have been popular at the time.

I also don’t have a way of opening the back so can’t see the specific serial number.

We do get quite a few odd watches around here - The Rolex repair centre used to be here (se London / Kent border).

8. Rochete Feb 16, 2020

Unfortunately not. These watches never came in that colour, plus there are other obvious incongruencies on that dial, notably the scripts.

9. -dR- Feb 16, 2020

Ah well. C'est la vie... Going to pop a Hirsh strap on it... Robby Sailcloth yellow and black. Looks like the new everyday watch!

DaveK likes this.
  10. Rochete Feb 16, 2020

Enjoy it! It's a real vintage Omega and what's been said here is something the 99.999999% of world population don't have a clue about.

DaveK likes this.
  11. -dR- Feb 16, 2020

I will enjoy!

And besides, can’t get stressed - am not operating on children, and it was cheaper than my neighbours fence that was blown over in the storms...!