Forums Latest Members
  1. Megalos Mar 10, 2018

dear friends
    I bought an Omega Cosmic museum 1951 sqaure watch and I am very happy :)
    my problem is that I have not the instruction manual and I am aware how to regulate it .
    Is somebody here that could send me a pdf or word instruction manual .
    or at least is somebody who know how to operate the watch ? is has the calibre 2601 .
    need help

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 10, 2018

You shouldn’t regulate it. How far is it off?

3. Megalos Mar 10, 2018

Maybe I was not well expressed, I mean how I will put the month , date , moon phase, etc from the
    Push bottom?

4. Kwijibo Mar 10, 2018

Unless you have a timing machine it's hard to do that correctly. If you don't know the beat error it makes no sens to regulate the time, or little.
    I ever you want to give it a try. You have to push the regulator very little to shorten or lenghten the hairspring. longer slowler, shorter faster.
    OOPS I red too fast. You have 4 correcting pushers, one for the date, one for the moonphase, one for the day, one for the month.

5. AnotherDon Mar 10, 2018

Let me see if I can help you a little. If you look at the sides of the watch you will see 4 little embedded pushers. For convenience we will say these are near 2, 4, 8, and 10 going clockwise around the case. The watch was originally packaged with a little brass stick for pushing on the embedded pushers. I'm not a fan of using that brass stick and stole a soft wooden cuticle stick from the wifely-unit's cosmetic case that I sharpened in a pencil sharpener. I have found that this cuticle stick is sharp enough and stiff enough to push the embedded pusher, but is not strong enough to ever scratch the watch case. But I digress....

Each of those 4 embedded pusher will activate one of the four functions on the watch...day, month, date hand, and moonphase. The embedded pusher by 2 works the month. The embedded pusher by 4 works the date hand. 8 works the moonphase and 10 works the day.

Here's how I set mine. Let's say that today is Saturday, March 10 and it has been 9 days since the last full moon. First, I will push that pusher at 8 until the little window show a full moon. Then, I will push that pusher 8 more times. This will set the moonphase window to yesterday. Then I will press the pusher at 10 until the day window shows Friday. Next, is the month. Push the pusher at 2 until the window shows "MAR". Finally, I will push that button at 4 until the date hand is pointing at "9" on the outer rim of the dial. So now the watch should be setup of yesterday.

At this point I pull out the crown and advance the minute and hour hands. When the watch reaches 12:00 (midnight) the day and date will begin to change. By 1:00 am, the changes have occurred and I continue to advance the time until I get the watch to the current time. I'm never sure when the moonphase advances, but since that is really not critical, I figure the watch is close enough.

Hope that helps you get started with you watch. By the way, the original Cosmic Moonphase watches with the Cal 381 movements did not have that pusher that would advance the day. You had to manually advance the day by pulling out the crown and advancing the time until you got to the day you wanted. A real PIA to set that watch. Plus, that Cal 381 was not an automatic wind. It is manual.

Here's a picture of my late model Cosmic Moonphase and you can see the 2 and 4 pushers on either side of the crown...

DSC_2378.JPG

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 10, 2018

@AnotherDon
    Excellent! I use a wooden toothpick.

Basically set to the day before then advance through!

nonuffinkbloke and Megalos like this.
  7. AnotherDon Mar 10, 2018

Yep and then store it on the watchwinder. Actually, I have 3 TDM watches with automatic movements and only 2 winders so there is this game of musical chairs to keep them running.

cristos71, ConElPueblo and Foo2rama like this.
  8. Megalos Mar 11, 2018

dear AnotherDon thanks a lot :)
    you has very helfull . This was my question and help a needed.
    by the way mine is with the dark blue dial. your is very nice ! is it a special one ?
    And another question , the crown doesn't ''open'' very much from the case as other watches do ! is that normal for that watch ?

9. Megalos Mar 11, 2018

and AnotherDon and friends
    all those regulations of date , month etc do we must do them between some hours that shows the watch ?
    i mean betwen for example 10.00 am and 2.00 pm ?

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 11, 2018

Generally it’s a bad idea to change date functions around that time unless the watch manual states otherwise.

11. AnotherDon Mar 11, 2018

You are most welcome, Megalos.

Your watch is the Museum Collection 1951. It is from the set of 1951 watches made for the Museum limited editions...Ref 5701.80. Mine, on the other hand is called the Museum Collection No. 2 Ref. 5755.20. While it is numbered on the back, the total number manufactured is unknown, unlike your watch. Your watch would have come with a specially printed box, certificate of authenticity, pusher tool, instruction book, and cards. Mine came in a normal wooden Omega box, pusher tool, instruction book, and cards with holder. An interesting note is that the cal 2601 movement that our watches have is not covered in the instruction book. While that book covers all sorts of movements...GMTs, time and date, even perpetual calendar, and chrongraphs...the triple date moonphase is not included in the book.

As far as the crown extension is concerned...mine pulls out about 2mm. Just far enough to grasp it. And, my experience is that you are free to change those date, month, and day setting any time EXCEPT between 9:00pm and 1:00am (as shown on the watch).

:)

Megalos likes this.
  12. Megalos Mar 11, 2018

thanks a lot my friend ! you where very specific and helpfull . So the fact that I have not received the instrustion book
    I didn't lost much . The only think is that the cusion of the box was missed . Do you believe I could find one similar ? and where ?

13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 11, 2018

I'd be curious as to what variations of the museum edition were produced?
    The original Cosmic tdmp's are my favorite watch but I have hesitated because their fragility renders them unwearable, as far as I'm concerned.
    The 1951 Museum Edition is one of my grails (I'm a 1951 also), thinking it would be wearable. If I found out it was produced in a round dial, I'd sell my house! The square dial is beautiful but I'm a circular kind of guy! (working on that!)

BenBagbag likes this.
  14. AnotherDon Mar 11, 2018

UncleBuck,,as far as I know those two square cased versions (blue dial and white dial) are the only Omega iterations of the contemporary tdmp. I'm not aware of any contemporary Omega round cased tdmps. Also, other than the appearance, these watches have almost nothing in common with the vintage Omega tdmps that used the cal 381 movements. But, the cases are square.

Now if you're seeking a round tdmp, Blancpain Leman or JLC Master Moon should fill your bill.

:)

Foo2rama and UncleBuck like this.
  15. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 11, 2018

Yes, that's a beauty!
    It's rough being an Omega fanboy

Jerseyhammer likes this.
  16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 11, 2018

Saw one in the flesh yesterday... wow at 39mm

17. AnotherDon Mar 11, 2018

You know, I like Omega as well as anyone. But if they ain't selling what I want to buy, my dollars can, and often do, go elsewhere. Here's my current JLC MM. Steel with meteorite dial 39mm...

DSC_2387.JPG

18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 11, 2018

Yeah saw that one too you insensitive clod!!!

In person these are real stunners.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 12, 2018

Just do it...

[​IMG]

I sorta miss mine some days...

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

20. Megalos Mar 12, 2018

dear UncleBuck and friends
    I believe that our dear Omega has a round watch that is also nice as JLC ones. It is the Louis Brandt collection and I like it a lot

omega louisbrandperpetual.jpg
    Jerseyhammer and Waltesefalcon like this.