Forums Latest Members

Cortina – skiing that is, not Heuer

1. queriver Apr 11, 2019

A friend and I are planning a ski trip to the Dolomites next February. Neither of us have been to the area before and I’m hoping there might be some European members who are familiar with it.

The Dolomiti Superski area is huge and there are a number of towns where it is possible to stay so that is the main thing we need to decide on. We are advanced skiers, but not really off-piste. We like to stay where there is a wide range of good food and wine options. We won’t have a car, will rely on public transport and walking. We want to experience as much of the Superski area as possible and prefer to stay in a reasonably central town that makes access to the other valleys / villages efficient. If the snow isn't so good when we are there we want access to high mountains and/or areas with snow-making.

Should we base ourselves in Cortina d’Ampezzo or are there better towns to consider? From what I can tell, Cortina isn’t a ski-in ski-out town but I assume there are shuttle buses to get you to the lifts?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Because posts should have a watch picture, here is a lovely Heuer Cortina copied from a Jeff Stein post on Chronocentric -- with colours to match the mountains and blue sky I hope to see next Feb…..

11Cort510 - jeff stein chronocentric.JPG