Correct Period Piece Box for a Year 2000 (Update 1997) Omega Speedmaster Professional?

Thanks Eugene. Since extracts are now available for watches up to 2010, hopefully this situation will improve and we will see some clarity on the millennial watches eventually.

If anyone out there has a Speedy extract and hasn't uploaded it, then do your bit for our community and trot along to www.ilovemyspeedmaster.com and do so. There is no downside to doing so, only a warm feeling of helping your fellow man.

Added a data point for 1992 😀
I am always looking on that site in hunt for my birthyear Speedmaster (apparently 6 are there 😒) and totally forgot to upload my extract

To everyone. Give me just a little bit of time. I have to go pickup my shoes from my cobbler in Ginza, Tokyo this upcoming Saturday. My Omega AD is also there. I will stop in and have them open up the case back so I can get the photos I need (that you have been asking for). Seems to be a whole lot of back and forth debate going on in here, so not sure how helpful it will be, but certainly I'm sure it's more useful than just having a serial number alone.

The next question is, how important would an Extract from the Archives be for me if I'm not going to get a service in within the next five years? If you guys can identify my watch year just from my serial and what's in the case back, I'll let y'all do that. But if the only way to identify my watch is by getting an extract for CHF 120 / 130 USD / 14,900 JPY, I'll highly consider it if it'll be helpful to me (and to you too, Padders was saying something about plugging data into www.ilovemyspeedmaster.com). Let me know before this Saturday.

^^^ Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. An Extract will tell you when the watch got into the market and a few other details, but it isn't going to make your watch any more valuable. If that is important to you then go ahead and get an extract. Plugging the serial number into the various data bases will probably get you close, but will not be definitive. If the case back is original it will tell you a lot. If not, it will not. What are your goals, exactly?

The next question is, how important would an Extract from the Archives be for me if I'm not going to get a service in within the next five years?
For a more or less modern watch, it's probably not worth it. As you saw, they used to give away that information for anyone who asked. Enough people contacted them that they probably decided it was worth monetizing, if nothing else to keep down the number of inquiries. Knowing for a 1938 watch, significant. For a watch from 2000? Eh, who cares, more or less, right?

Obviously you can spend your money how you like but $130 buys a lot of beer. 😁

Back in 2001, my Speedmaster Professional was supplied in one of the black leatherette boxes, like this:

47D8AC67-D6C9-45C2-988B-5F97F84ADFA0.jpeg
My 2001 Speedmaster Professional came with the same box and documentation as yours..

The shop said they believe it was 3590.50 but wasn't sure since it had no warranty card. I believe it is from 2000 from running a serial check online.

Serial 77136XXX and it looks like superluminova to me. Hour markers are pretty whitish.
I have seen a number of 2004 Speedy's with 7712x and 7713x including up to 77134x.

Hello again. Long time no speak. I hope you guys remember me from two months back. I was trying to identify my watch so I could then find and buy a proper period box for it. I mistakenly identified it as a year 2000 Speedmaster Pro. Well, I visited Omega Tokyo and had them remove the caseback so I can look inside. I also asked one of the repairman technicians could they tell me the year of it. I was wrong, as the watch has been officially identified by them as a 1997 Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional.

I did take photos and video with the caseback open. I guess that stuff in there doesn't really mean much anymore since they already gave me the year, but I can share it with you all in any case. Lighting in there was great for the naked eye, but bad in terms for video/photos. I took two photos, one flash, one no flash, both hard to read for you. I'll type what is written there.

"GAG
ACIER INOXYDABLE
OMEGA
WATCH Co
FAB SUISSE
SWISS MADE
GR
SA
345.0022"

Anyways, can any of you show me an example of a 97 Speedmaster box?

^^^ Did you verify the serial number to make sure it matches the one originally given to you? Transcribed numbers can happen.

How did the Tokyo Omega shop verify it was 1997?

^^^ Did you verify the serial number to make sure it matches the one originally given to you? Transcribed numbers can happen.

This. I am not convinced that it is as definitive as you think. Note Eugene has a 48.39m data point from 3/1999...

About the serial number, obviously. The serial number on the lug matches the one inside the case etched on the watch movement itself. But you don't need to know that number.

About how they identified it, I don't know. Because it's SWATCH. I don't have detailed answers on that, I don't work there. I took it to the NICOLAS G. HAYEK CENTER which is a 14 story building in Ginza owned by the SWATCH Group. A technician behind glass looked at it and identified it. Customers are not allowed to go back there, but I could see him working. A customer service rep was the in-between him and me disseminating the information he was giving her. Anyways, I believe him otherwise he wouldn't be there.

This. I am not convinced that it is as definitive as you think.

Listen guys, I have to be honest with you. I'm not going to entertain the conversation about the watch, and the date of the watch anymore. I kind of don't care whether you believe me or don't. I'm inquiring for help now about something specific, you can either help me try to find the box or don't, but I'm not going to keep going back-and-forth with anyone about my watch. I don't know you.

And yet you ask us for help. This is a community and we’ll talk about what we choose to but the point wasn’t whether we believe you (we do) it’s whether we believe your contact at the boutique. Your model was introduced in 1997, the serial not so much. My suspicion is there was either a misunderstanding over what was said or the technician guessed. The Omega extranet doesn’t AFAIK from speaking with Al give production dates based on serial numbers, hence the valid question from Evitzee above “how did he verify it? If he mailed or called Bienne I’d be more persuaded.

Anyhow you’ve had your answer about the box, take your pick from the flaking red number or the nicer black version, both are equally valid.
Edited: